No announcement yet.

Random Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hm. Cannot decide if that sounds better or worse than Turkey & Gravy Soda.

Thought tax: for someone who doesn't actually watch a lot of TV, I have a lot of thoughts about it.
    Any procedural drama - police, medical, whatever - is going to inevitably collapse under its own weight eventually, because the situations the characters deal with have to constantly escalate in order to keep interest. By season four the paramedics can't just respond to a car crash, it has to be a car that crashed into a school bus full of kids and also a tanker truck that's on fire next to a gas station. Does it count as jumping the shark, or a variant of X-Files Syndrome (show has X - pun acknowledged and ignored - seasons worth of decent story; show is popular enough to get +Y additional seasons that are thus full of hastily contrived filler)?

And something that kind of follows from that. I recently read (again, A Blog Post I Now Can't Find) a thing that really resonates with why I get so annoyed by modern TV shows - most modern shows have no chill. It's constant ActionActionActionPlotPlotPlotDramaDramaDrama. The characters get no downtime, there's never a literal or metaphorical beach episode. The viewers never have a chill episode to actually think about all the action, plot, and drama being shoved into their faces before more of it arrives.

Ten thousand channels, and still nothing on...
    Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
    They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

• Saw this this morning and it fits: "The saying, "Life is just one damn thing after another," is a gross understatement. The damn things overlap.""
      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

• Quoth Ceir View Post
        It's constant ActionActionActionPlotPlotPlotDramaDramaDrama. The characters get no downtime, there's never a literal or metaphorical beach episode. The viewers never have a chill episode to actually think about all the action, plot, and drama being shoved into their faces before more of it arrives.

Ten thousand channels, and still nothing on...
        Back when "24" was still on, could you imagine eight, one-hour episodes of Jack Bauer sleeping? An hour episode of him getting ready for work, or eating dinner?

The Mrs. and I are currently watching a "Britcom" on Prime called 'Allo 'Allo. It's a farcical comedy about Northern Occupied France (Specifically, Nouvion) during WW2. We're on Season 5 now (out of 9) and it seems like it's getting more and more ridiculous the more we watch.
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

• Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
          Cotton Candy mac & cheese? Sweet!!!
          I've seen photos. It turns the entire dish PINK.

I bought a packet of each flavour. Don't know if I'll ever actually eat the Cotton Candy one ...
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Quoth mjr View Post
            Back when "24" was still on, could you imagine eight, one-hour episodes of Jack Bauer sleeping? An hour episode of him getting ready for work, or eating dinner?

The Mrs. and I are currently watching a "Britcom" on Prime called 'Allo 'Allo. It's a farcical comedy about Northern Occupied France (Specifically, Nouvion) during WW2. We're on Season 5 now (out of 9) and it seems like it's getting more and more ridiculous the more we watch.
            Do love me some old-school britcoms. Are You Being Served is a delight, Black Adder is a classic (and then there's the last episode)...I'm a Red Dwarf man, meself.
            Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
            They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

• Nope,you're a smeghead yourself
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• I just ran across a post on social media wherein someone mentioned she used to use some body lotion on her face for many years and it made her face super soft and plump. Then someone told her that you aren't supposed to use body lotion; you need to use facial products. I understand that if it had been causing her a problem, but just the opposite was happening. She now uses some kind of facial moisturizer which she says is OK but not like the former stuff. I'll never understand taking bad advice in regard to some "rule" when what you're already doing is working really well. Well, she can do what she wants but I don't get it.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• The Alabama Shakespeare Festival is doing Macbeth next year!

It's been so long since I saw a stage production of Macbeth 🥺

Let's hope this state either gets its shit together or little kids can get vaccinated before then.
                  https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• There is a reason that no one does The Scottish play.
                    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                    Save the Ales!
                    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

• I ran crew for a college production of same...things went wrong that logically should not have. The actors wanted to blame it on the theater's resident ghost; she could be playful bordering on annoying, but not malicious.
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• I thought the prohibition on using the title was only for theater pwoplw? I'm not one so I think I can use it. I have seen stage peoductions 4 times and wvery movie there is 👍
                        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• Quoth Food Lady View Post
                          I just ran across a post on social media wherein someone mentioned she used to use some body lotion on her face for many years and it made her face super soft and plump. Then someone told her that you aren't supposed to use body lotion; you need to use facial products. I understand that if it had been causing her a problem, but just the opposite was happening. She now uses some kind of facial moisturizer which she says is OK but not like the former stuff. I'll never understand taking bad advice in regard to some "rule" when what you're already doing is working really well. Well, she can do what she wants but I don't get it.
                          Because ... her face isn't part of her body, I guess ... ?

That is not necessarily the dumbest thing I've ever read, but it's definitely in the running. Sounds like that "someone" has been paying way too much attention to advertisements.
                          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Today's one of those days that I've been busy as soon as I walk through the door, but somehow manage to accomplish nothing, because all I've been doing is talking to people.
                            Last edited by drunkenwildmage; 08-25-2021, 08:00 PM.
                            Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

• Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                              I thought the prohibition on using the title was only for theater pwoplw? I'm not one so I think I can use it. I have seen stage peoductions 4 times and wvery movie there is 👍
                              The prohibition comes from speaking the name of the play inside the theater. Specifically when referring to the play, not to the character himself as when one is rehearsing/performing in the play.

Wikipedia offers a little more information.
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

• One of the actors thought the prohibition was a load of hooey, so violated it in rehearsals as often as they could...luckily the production itself went decently. While things did go wrong, the errors weren't dangerous or obvious from the audience and could be worked around (maybe we learned from the rehearsals). The final round of dress rehearsals though...yeesh. Plenty of "That wasn't supposed to happen" and a couple minor injuries on the crew side of things (irritatingly, the actor responsible didn't even miss a cue...we were all hoping something truly odd would happen to them and them alone).
                                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                                X