Customers Suck!

Customers Suck! (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   A new era (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=121258)

Valentinian 02-07-2019 10:00 AM

...you could call her Quad? XD

Eireann 02-07-2019 11:25 AM

Right now, I need to FIND her. The little boy has taken to my place as if he owns it - eating his food, drinking his water, using the litter, and going in all sorts of places where he's not allowed.

The girl was spending her time under the bed, and today, when I checked, she wasn't there. I don't live in a big place - it's very small - and I've searched everywhere. I've looked under all the furniture and behind it and on top of it. I've checked the bookcases. I've checked under the bed again. I looked in cupboards. I haven't seen her.

I know she was here when I went to bed last night, and I haven't been out yet today, so she's got to be in here. I just don't know where she could be.

Eireann 02-07-2019 01:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
She's all right. I found her in a very good hiding place, and she shows no signs of wanting to come out. She must be making food runs at night. Meanwhile, the boy is roaming the place, looking for trouble. :)

Mikkel 02-10-2019 04:12 PM

I suppose 'Pod has been named for good. Otherwise Triffid would be a good name :).
The girl looks wary but not really scared. She'll come out in time.
What about Tregul or Bygul? Freya's cats according to Diana Paxton.

Eireann 02-10-2019 05:40 PM

I think I've decided on a name for her, but thanks for all of the suggestions!

I don't have much of an idea of her personality yet. When I got down on the floor yesterday to talk to her, she stretched out one foreleg and gave me a slow blink. Tripod, meanwhile, is definitely making himself at home. He's been purring, rubbing against me, sitting on my chest, draping himself across my legs when I'm trying to sleep - you know the routine.

It looks like I've struck it lucky again.

Mental_Mouse 02-10-2019 07:32 PM

I'm told that letting a new cat hide like that is not a great idea -- they may decide "I live here now".

greek_jester 02-11-2019 07:33 AM

Quote:

Quoth Mental_Mouse (Post 1377090)
I'm told that letting a new cat hide like that is not a great idea -- they may decide "I live here now".

At the same time, trying to oust a nervous cat from somewhere they've gone to feel safe will not only make them more nervous, it will make them distrust you as you are the one who dragged them out of their safe place.

Better to just make yourself generally trustworthy and the provider of food. Having another, more confident cat helps as they will definitely be watching you, and seeing you interact well with the other cat will give them the confidence to make a cautious approach to you (such as Eireann's cat reaching out a paw and making eye contact, rather than backing up as far as possible).

If a nervous animal has somewhere that feels safe to them, so long as they're not endangering themselves/anyone else, it's better to let them have that place so that they can retreat to it when they're feeling over-stressed. It works for humans, too; me and my sister have an agreement that if one of us retreats to our bedroom and closes the door, leave that person be as they're trying to cool down and get on a more even mental keel.

Jester 02-11-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Quoth Eireann (Post 1376890)
Any ideas on what to name the girl?

I know you said you’ve already gotten a name for her, but I had to pipe in.

My original thought was Elvira, but after seeing her picture and hearing you describe her actions, I lean more towards Morticia.

Eireann 02-11-2019 05:41 PM

This morning, I gave her some pets, and she was very enthusiastic. She did that little routine where Kitty rubs against you, rubs against the floor/mattress/chair/whatever is underneath, rolls around, gets back up, and starts the whole thing again. I managed to pick her up and hold her.

I intended to sit on the bed with her and Tripod - but then, as these things go, the phone rang. I put her on the bed, and she promptly disappeared under it.

When I came home this evening, I was sitting on the bed when, lo and behold, I saw her walking INTO the bedroom! She left her hiding place and the room! About ten minutes later, I heard a sound that puzzled me at first, and then I realized what it was. She was drinking from the water dish.

Slowly but surely, things are improving. I'm very fortunate that those two are just fine with each other. No yowling, no hissing, no spitting, no growling. They don't seem to have much of a bond, but that will probably come with time.

Android Kaeli 02-12-2019 01:12 AM

Very adorable kitties! Good on the one coming out of her shell a bit, could take a little while longer but hopefully everything will be alright soon.

I have had cats almost my entire life, at least until about five years ago when my stray turned inside cat crossed the Rainbow Bridge.