Customers Suck!

Customers Suck! (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/index.php)
-   Site News (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Significant News (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=113541)

Rapscallion 01-17-2016 07:28 AM

Significant News

Hi all

This one's likely to cause my inbox to explode, so I'll explain as much as I think is pertinent in here.

I took over the running of this site almost a decade ago. There's been good times and bad times, but it's got to the point where I've got to move on. My priorities are different than they used to be.

There are many compounding reasons, but the absolute fact is that I intend selling the domain. What does this mean in real terms?

I'm giving advance notice so that if you want to go through your posts to save them to a document on your computer you can. The date I have in mind for selling on is the end of February, so you've got about six weeks.

The forum data will likely be erased, mostly for data security reasons. I know I do nothing with it, but there's plenty of moderator stuff we don't want to go further.

Are there circumstances under which the forum would continue with the current database? Possibly - depends what someone offers me and I'm being intentionally vague about it. How much would I accept for the site name? Depends on my investigations over the next few weeks - might go to auction, might go to straight sale.

There are definitely going to be questions, but the simple fact is that it's time for someone else to take up the torch, someone who can develop the place and make it live again. I no longer have time and energy to do that. If anyone from the membership is interested in taking the place on, my inbox is open.

The main thing to consider is that there's six weeks to go, give or take.

Stay within the rules, but it's party time! Let's celebrate this place's existence.

Rapscallion

JoitheArtist 01-17-2016 07:52 AM

Man, I will miss this place. I know I didn't post much over the past few years, but I still read stuff, and made so many friends here. I'm so appreciative of Raps and the mods for making it such a great place to hang out.

OneMoreTime 01-17-2016 08:42 AM

I just discovered this site a short time ago, and I really like it. I hope someone will take it over and continue it. Good luck Rapscallion, wishing you much happiness in the future.

prjkt 01-17-2016 08:53 AM

This'll be the second time a regular forum I've been part of has closed/moved on.

Sad, but I'm sure we'll all be able to congregate elsewhere. I'd host a forum on my own site if I knew what I was doing to help out, but I don't, nor do I have the time to keep it running, so I understand where you're coming from.

Thanks for the work you've put in over the years to keep this place running, somewhere for me to vent, commiserate and laugh along with people all over.

So I guess if this is the end, there's a lot I could say, but it all boils down to thank you. I don't think I really need to say much more than that.

Rapscallion 01-17-2016 10:18 AM

Just to add something due to the number of messages I'm already getting, there's no guarantee that this is the end of the site. There are circumstances under which I would consider counting the forum as part of the deal for the right person. That depends on who is interested.

For anyone interested, our current set up is with Linode cloud hosting and costs $150 a month. With a judicious post prune and removing some aspects, that could be reduced, and any interested parties may be able to hunt around for a better deal. Yes, that does factor into my decision. It needs to factor into the decision of anyone interested - might be able to go down the advert route to defray costs. Would be the call of whoever buys the site.

Rapscallion

Kara 01-17-2016 11:07 AM

I definitely understand the need to move on, and I wish you well, Raps. I know I've been more of a lurker than an active poster in the past couple of years, since I don't deal with people at all in my current job and I don't feel like I have much to contribute anymore. But I still have fond memories of this site and how ranting about my T-Mobile customers and then the living hell that was the prison were I worked after that helped me to keep my sanity. I made so many dear friends here, most of whom I've kept in contact with via social media. This community helped me through the darkest time of my life during my bitter divorce, the false charges against me, and my ex's crusade to destroy what was left of my life. We've laughed together, we've cried together, and I still believe people thought I was way more clever and funny than I actually am (though I'm still touched that in my heydey I was one of CS's celebrity ranters). I hope the site and the community will live on, but no matter what's in store for the future of CS.com, I will always be grateful for having been a part of it.

EricKei 01-17-2016 12:40 PM

Just a note to reinforce what Raps has said -- Just because he's moving on, does *not* automatically mean that the forum will be going away, or reset/wiped with or without accounts intact, etc. He wanted to give everyone a heads-up just in case whoever ends up taking it over DOES decide to do so.

We're looking into relaxing the cap on search results (currently 100 per search) to facilitate people getting their data; we'll let you know. In the meantime, the Advanced Search will let you restrict by date somewhat.

If you wish to archive your PM's, you can do so from your PM section of the Control Panel. It all gets dumped into one big file. To access this, go to your PM's and scroll all the way down. On the very bottom, you should see a link that says "Download all Private Messages as: XML | CSV | Text" -- Use this and save to your computer. (XML is readable by browsers; CSV is readable by Excel)

Bloodsoul 01-17-2016 12:51 PM

At least the future is up in the air… unlike the Wizards of the Coast forums lost late last year. :(

BookstoreEscapee 01-17-2016 01:28 PM

Well, most of my activity the past couple years has been around Christmas card time. Still, I'll be sad if this place goes away. Almost ten years I've been here! I appreciate all the work Raps and the mods have done over the years.

smileyeagle1021 01-17-2016 02:13 PM

Quote:

Quoth prjkt (Post 1302239)

Sad, but I'm sure we'll all be able to congregate elsewhere.

*cough* Facebook CS Group *cough*
:angel:

HawaiianShirts 01-17-2016 04:44 PM

Thanks, Raps, for giving us all this great community. I've made some friends and really enjoyed reading so many stories. And it's really been a community. We've supported each other in bad times and celebrated good times, and I don't think I've ever seen a troll here, so obviously you did something right.

Quote:

Quoth EricKei (Post 1302245)
We're looking into relaxing the cap on search results (currently 100 per search) to facilitate people getting their data; we'll let you know. In the meantime, the Advanced Search will let you restrict by date somewhat.

I would like to be able to click that "Find All Posts By..." link and actually get all posts. Don't know if that's possible, but it would be nice.

I also just want to throw out there that if we just want to keep the forum going without the rest of the site, there are free (usually banner ad supported) forum hosts available. I run two such forums at work, and I rather like the platform. If we end up going that route, I'd be willing to assist with the setup and/or moderation.

MadMike 01-17-2016 04:50 PM

Unfortunately, those free sites can't handle the amount of traffic we get here.

Trixie 01-17-2016 07:50 PM

I hope things workout somehow. I'd hate to lose this place to vent. Besides I just bought Christmas cards for this year's exchange.

Kitten in the box 01-17-2016 10:39 PM

It's been great being here, reading all the posts about customers, co-workers and random things. Ive gotten great advice. Let's hope whomever buys this domain keeps it live.

alogram 01-17-2016 11:04 PM

I remember when Raps took over. Seems crazy that I've been here that long. ��

Rapscallion 01-17-2016 11:06 PM

Quote:

Quoth alogram (Post 1302284)

Me too :/

Rapscallion

Kristev 01-17-2016 11:19 PM

I'll be quite sad if this site is lost. Good luck in your future ventures, Rapscallion.

Dragon_Dreamer 01-18-2016 12:43 AM

:(

If I had the money, I would offer to take over the site. I have the skills, but not the immediate cash. :( I can only afford maybe a third of that.

I love this site, and have made so many wonderful friends. I hope someone also takes the time to save everything Plaidman posted.

Here's hoping whoever takes over will continue the forums.

Seraph 01-18-2016 12:46 AM

<floored>

...Understandable though. Long live CS, and the wonderful amount of stress relief it provided, as awell as a sounding board and advice giver. :D

prjkt 01-18-2016 12:57 AM

Quote:

Quoth smileyeagle1021 (Post 1302249)

Thanks for the link

Bloodsoul 01-18-2016 12:59 AM

Ah, so I guess now would be a good time to start backing up all the strips, huh?

Now I'm kind of glad nobody visits my forum; 'twould explain why the upkeep has been so cheap. X

Pedersen 01-18-2016 01:42 AM

Joined in 2007, been doing something to help out with Site Tech since Sept 2008. One helluva ride.

Thanks, Raps. I appreciate the effort you put in, as well as the trust you gave me.

BookstoreEscapee 01-18-2016 02:11 AM

Quote:

Quoth Trixie (Post 1302272)
I hope things workout somehow. I'd hate to lose this place to vent. Besides I just bought Christmas cards for this year's exchange.

I was thinking about that. Maybe through the Facebook group, if the forum does go away? I don't really go in there, so I don't know how many of the card list regulars are FB group members.

Lil Bunny 01-18-2016 02:11 AM

Dang. Even though I haven't been active in a dog's age I still love this place. I'm glad I'm friends with a bunch of you on fb because this page and you guys were so here for me.

WishfulSpirit 01-18-2016 02:31 AM

Do us a favor and find a successor please. For some of us this is the only place that gets us through bad days. It's kept me alive a few times when hubby and I were literally homeless.

scorpionf 01-18-2016 03:27 AM

I remember Raps taking over this place... I cannot believe it has been that long!

Admittedly, I have come and gone a couple of times over the years, but I always returned.

I am sure we will find somewhere else to congregate if this really does become the end of the board

Seraph 01-18-2016 03:45 AM

Quote:

Quoth Lil Bunny (Post 1302306)
Dang. Even though I haven't been active in a dog's age I still love this place.

Yeah, same boat here. I've been lurking, just haven't had time with all the absolute chaos erupting at my place, to actually post.

Followers of me on FB can vouch that, yep, it's been...weird.

Kogarashi 01-18-2016 03:49 AM

Raps, you've done an awesome job. Thanks for it all! :)

I, too, hope that someone is able to take up the forums and keep them going.

Racket_Man 01-18-2016 05:03 AM

Quote:

Quoth alogram (Post 1302284)

I have been around for like 15 years (around mid 2001) starting with Mr. Slugger, through several hacks and Raps taking over. I know several members were on earlier versions of CS before I found this place back then.

DAMN hopefully this place will survive.

El Pollo Guerrera 01-18-2016 05:36 AM

Quote:

It says it's a 'closed group', I clicked on the 'join' button and it says pending. How long usually does take, and since I don't use my real name here but I do on FaceSpace, will the request be rejected?

BrightEyedKitty 01-18-2016 06:11 AM

I've been (mostly lurking) since the Mr. Slugger days. Sad to see this. Just sent a job request for the Facebook group.

MoonCat 01-18-2016 06:23 AM

Raps, you've gotta do what's best for you, and I truly appreciate all the work AND money you've put into this place. I came here from another forum where people didn't behave nearly as well to each other, and this is the best of all the sites I regularly visit. I really hope someone will buy it and maintain it as close as possible to this format, but if not, let me say a huge and heartfelt THANK YOU to you and to all the wonderful people who visit here.

P.S. This may be a minority opinion, but I have no Facebook account, nor do I want anything to do with it, so if that turns out to be the only remaining CS forum, I won't be going there :(

EricKei 01-18-2016 06:32 AM

On FB: I'm not an admin there, but new CS people have been joining the group left and right since the announcement -- whoever has approval permissions is probably just offline/asleep/working ^_^ Have no fear.

greek_jester 01-18-2016 09:22 AM

Quote:

Damn. I may have to give in and get a FB account :(

Raps, thank you for everything you've done for us. I'm sure I'm not the only person who's only managed to remain sane by having somewhere safe to come and hang out for a while, even if the reasons for needing that safe place never get shared around.

I wonder; I've noticed some people posting to say they have the skills and time but not the money. Would it be possible to crowd-fund? Possibly ask for people willing to make a voluntary donation of, say 1 a month to help carry costs? While there are those who can't manage that or would be unwilling, there might be enough regulars who can do it to help pay for the site, plus those who might be able to make the odd one-off donation if things are getting tight (I would probably be in the latter category, depending on the time of year).

Rapscallion 01-18-2016 09:30 AM

I considered donations back in the day - decided against. I've got no issue if a group of people want to run the place, but that's fraught with the usual issues when there's more than one person involved.

Rapscallion

Mikkel 01-18-2016 09:59 AM

Through cancer and upheavals, cs has been there.
Facebook is not the same as a well-run forum.
I would certainly be willing to pay something to keep the place.

Irving Patrick Freleigh 01-18-2016 10:44 AM

Quote:

Quoth greek_jester (Post 1302350)
Damn. I may have to give in and get a FB account :(

Not me. If this site goes, I'll probably just disappear along with it. Facebook just wouldn't be the same, and a whole lot riskier.

Kit-Ginevra 01-18-2016 11:41 AM

Quote:

Quoth Seraph (Post 1302318)
Yeah, same boat here. I've been lurking, just haven't had time with all the absolute chaos erupting at my place, to actually post.

Followers of me on FB can vouch that, yep, it's been...weird.

When is it anything ever but weird with you? :P

greek_jester 01-18-2016 12:08 PM

Quote:

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh (Post 1302359)
Not me. If this site goes, I'll probably just disappear along with it. Facebook just wouldn't be the same, and a whole lot riskier.

You'll be missed. There's a lot of people who'll be missed. :cry:

Rana 01-18-2016 12:51 PM

I wouldn't follow to FB either ... I don't trust work to not 'snoop' on my activities on FB.

Hopefully we can find someone to take over the site, or move elsewhere

Crossbow 01-18-2016 01:45 PM

Quote:

Quoth Rana (Post 1302364)
I wouldn't follow to FB either ... I don't trust work to not 'snoop' on my activities on FB.

Agreed. Even for CS, I won't get a FB account. Ever. Here's hoping someone can take over.

draggar 01-18-2016 02:08 PM

This is awful news, I'm sad to see the possibility of a major change.

(But I also understand a project like this takes a lot of time, and money).

I do have VPS hosting that I would be willing to help out with, as long as my VPS can handle this and my other sites.

Mr Hero 01-18-2016 02:30 PM

How does this change affect Fratching?

Android Kaeli 01-18-2016 02:36 PM

Quote:

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh (Post 1302359)

This is why, despite me wanting to join the FB group, I won't -- it's too much of a risk for me to join said group since I've got current co-workers on it.

I'd hate to see the site go, it was one of the few places I've been to that I've stayed despite me not posting a lot.

EricKei 01-18-2016 04:00 PM

greek_jester -- That sounds like the sort of thing Patreon was designed for (those who wish do do so pay a buck or 3 or 5 or 50 a month, and can stop the payments at any time). Could be worth bringing it up with whomever takes over, in lieu of advertising. Patreon deals with the financials, the owner would just have to account for the actual hosting fees, as well as the cuts (probably 5-10% each) for Patreon and for Paypal/their payment processor. I'd be in for a fiver ;)

Hero -- I guess that would be up to whoever takes over.

Rapscallion 01-18-2016 04:04 PM

Quote:

Quoth Mr Hero (Post 1302371)
How does this change affect Fratching?

Depends. If there's no option to take the forum forward and not lose posts etc, then I may put it up for sale at the same time - I'd be looking at getting out of hosting costs entirely, you see. However, I someone takes on CS as a going concern, so to speak, Fratching may be part of that deal.

Rapscallion

CrazedClerkthe2nd 01-18-2016 04:35 PM

I've been here close to 10 years myself and I will definitely miss this place if it goes. I don't mind saying if I had the financial flexibility and technical know how, I probably wouldn't think twice about taking it over myself.

I'm thankful for everyone I've met on here over the years. From iradney to Dave1982 to Irv to Moirae to Argabarga and of course the legend: Gravekeeper. It's been one hell of a ride.

Raps, my hats off to you in doing an awesome job running this place. It's getting harder and harder to have a sane forum on the internet these days.

I suspect what lies at the heart of this site will continue on in some fashion even if this particular forum ceases to exist. After all, we peons will always need a spot we can vent about the insane gauntlet/obstacle course we call a job.

If this is the end of line, it's been awesome everyone. You all rock. If this isn't the end, I look forward to what the future holds.

But I've loved every damned minute of it. :D

notalwaysright 01-18-2016 04:51 PM

Wow. I hope the forum continues in some form. Mainly I love how focused all the mods are on keeping things civil and on-topic. Sometimes I find myself on other boards and am always so disgusted at what is posted for no good reason. I deleted* my FB years ago and would not consider joining again, even to rant about SCs. *sigh*

*I'm pretty sure they don't really delete it, but it is unused.

Lovecats 01-18-2016 05:46 PM

I'm on FB primarily to keep in touch with family & friends (both groups are fairly well spread out) . And the fact that I'm retired and don't care if people know who I am. I really hope that something can be worked out for this site though. I'd really miss it if it wasn't here.

Jetfire 01-18-2016 06:07 PM

I'll echo that I hope that a solution can be found, at least for Fratching and for the forums were. Sadly, there isn't much more I can do but hope. :(

That said, if the boards do continue onward, I would probably be willing and able to help with support going forward; both for the hosting and for any other updates that might be needed going forward.

Kogarashi 01-18-2016 08:34 PM

I too wouldn't be following to FB. I have an account, but I keep my friends list super-short to keep things manageable and I'm not on there very often anyway (I visit like, maybe once a month), so it wouldn't be worth it to me.

Irving Patrick Freleigh 01-18-2016 09:16 PM

Quote:

Quoth greek_jester (Post 1302361)
You'll be missed. There's a lot of people who'll be missed. :cry:

I've been thinking of commenting on the Retail comic strip. I may just do that.

mjr 01-18-2016 09:24 PM

My goodness! I'm glad I found this thread!

I found a website that estimates how much a website is "worth"...and I don't know what kind of offers Raps is getting...but CS is "worth" more than I thought, based on the website I used.

Good luck to him! I hope he gets what he's asking for...

cindybubbles 01-18-2016 10:21 PM

Why not start a campaign on a crowdfunding site, like gofundme.com, and hand over site admin responsibilities to the mods?

Or better, yet, ask us for donations? I don't have Paypal, but I'm sure that others can help out.

otakuneko 01-18-2016 10:33 PM

I could afford the site, even on the $150/mo quoted, and I have a technical background, but not specifically in php. I could certainly keep the lights on.

I don't know if I'm the person to revitalize the site, as Raps desires. I'm not very outgoing, and not much of a marketer (web or otherwise).

Kit-Ginevra 01-18-2016 10:41 PM

I'm sure we can crowdfund between ourselves. Let's say 150/month-50 of us contributing 3 a month would not be a hardship for anyone I think.

Rapscallion 01-18-2016 10:42 PM

Quote:

Quoth mjr (Post 1302414)
My goodness! I'm glad I found this thread!

I found a website that estimates how much a website is "worth"...and I don't know what kind of offers Raps is getting...but CS is "worth" more than I thought, based on the website I used.

Good luck to him! I hope he gets what he's asking for...

The first two sites I found through Google (high on the rankings) are massively overestimating the value, though apparently in similar ways. Others are far more moderate. In the end, something in worth what someone else will pay for it.

Rapscallion

DGoddessChardonnay 01-18-2016 10:51 PM

Quote:

Quoth Rana (Post 1302364)

I hardly look in on my FB page these days . . . considering deleting that account due to not feeling as if I can freely post as I've got quite a few coworkers showing up as friends there.

I am subscribed to the CS group . . . guess I need to look up the password for FB and log back in.

And I bought up Christmas cards for next year as well . . .keeping fingers crossed I'll get to use them.;)

This place is home for a lot of us. Myself, I've been around for 15 years or so now. Been through Mr. Slugger's time here, and have seen Raps' tenure. I hope someone does come along and we can still be around for some time to come yet.

Nickelplate 01-19-2016 12:09 AM

Wishing you the best of luck. This is a great forum.

BookstoreEscapee 01-19-2016 12:17 AM

Quote:

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh (Post 1302412)
I've been thinking of commenting on the Retail comic strip. I may just do that.

Would you use the same name? I don't really comment there, but I read it every day. I'll look for ya'.

Mental_Mouse 01-19-2016 12:20 AM

As a fairly new arrival, I'd be sad to see the site go away -- at this point, it's well-known and long-standing enough to qualify as part of the history of the Internet. And it includes quite a bit of useful advice and examples for dealing with SCs, so it's something of a public resource to boot.

Unfortunately, I haven't a hope of being able to buy it out myself, but I hope you'd at least consider selling the site in toto to some group that would maintain it. Two thoughts occur to me in this vein:
(1) Perhaps collective contributions (Kickstarter/Patreon?) would let you set up a foundation or trust for it, with subscriptions to cover the ongoing costs.
(2) Alternatively, one of the other existing sites, such as "Not Always Right", might be willing to buy you out.
(3) Someone upthread did say they had the money to do it; I'll note for them that if some of the existing staff come along, the funder doesn't actually need to be a major techie -- just competent enough to be capable of holding the reins, and willing to de-wheel an admin if they get badly out of line.

I also don't have a Facebook account, and really would rather not have one for all sorts of reasons.

MoonCat 01-19-2016 12:49 AM

BTW, is anyone else a little bit confused by this statement?
Quote:

someone who can develop the place and make it live again.
I personally am quite happy with the site the way it is right now, not sure what anyone else thinks.

Jetfire 01-19-2016 01:40 AM

Quote:

Quoth MoonCat (Post 1302436)
BTW, is anyone else a little bit confused by this statement?

I personally am quite happy with the site the way it is right now, not sure what anyone else thinks.

I don't know about others; but it does feel like activity is lower than it was in the past. Could just be shifting preferences, especially as Message board activity shifts to other places like FB and Reddits.

I would hope that if someone does keep the site going, that board software upgrades would be in the works. Another board I know upgraded and is using modern Xenofora software which feels really nice and flexible nowadays.

Irving Patrick Freleigh 01-19-2016 01:44 AM

Quote:

Quoth BookstoreEscapee (Post 1302434)
Would you use the same name? I don't really comment there, but I read it every day. I'll look for ya'.

I dunno. Maybe something different. I have a few ideas <_>

CrazedClerkthe2nd 01-19-2016 03:36 AM

Quote:

Quoth Jetfire (Post 1302438)
I don't know about others; but it does feel like activity is lower than it was in the past. Could just be shifting preferences, especially as Message board activity shifts to other places like FB and Reddits.

I think that's what Raps was getting at. Someone new could overhaul the design, cull some of the lesser used forums, do a little more to get the word out about us, redesign the homepage, etc, etc.

I would be MORE than happy to donate to a gofundme or other effort to keep this place going. $150/month is a bit rich for me but I could definitely contribute financially as well as time. Please, anyone and everyone, consider me available to assist with any efforts to carry this place forward.

WishfulSpirit 01-19-2016 04:45 AM

I have very little time or money to help out, but I do know how to put funding campaigns together. Maybe we could set up some kind of donation system for people who post regularly who want to help out with costs? I'm sure one of the mods (or several) might be willing to help with admin.

Mr. Rude 01-19-2016 06:44 AM

Noted....Stay calm, and burn all the evidence, ;)

Rapscallion 01-19-2016 06:53 AM

Activity is down year on year - that's what I mean there. The place needs someone with the time and energy to get it jumping again.

Rapscallion

wolfie 01-19-2016 12:05 PM

Been here almost 9 years, hope someone takes it over intact. This announcement comes roughly a month after another board I was on "went dark" with no warning.

BookstoreEscapee 01-19-2016 12:19 PM

And Cute Overload is gone! :cry:

Rapscallion 01-19-2016 01:05 PM

Quote:

Quoth BookstoreEscapee (Post 1302478)
And Cute Overload is gone! :cry:

Not guilty on that one.

Rapscallion

BookstoreEscapee 01-19-2016 02:24 PM

Quote:

Quoth Rapscallion (Post 1302480)
Not guilty on that one.

Rapscallion

Don't worry, I wasn't blaming you. Just sharing my anguish. I don't like change.

mjr 01-19-2016 09:41 PM

Does this potential sale apply to Fratching, too?

AdvancedFlea 01-19-2016 10:16 PM

Well they say all good things must come to an end. I'm just sad one of them might be this place. I hope someone takes it up because I was planning on using you all for some market research on a business idea I have once I am clear of all the legal troubles I'm having.

Rapscallion 01-19-2016 11:39 PM

Quote:

Quoth mjr (Post 1302533)
Does this potential sale apply to Fratching, too?

Depends on the approach taken by whoever takes over. One of the reasons I gave six weeks notice is that it means any potentially interested parties can come forward, and if they want to keep it the same then I would likely discuss that as an option. If that's not an option, I would either put that domain up for sale or just let it expire.

What happens from here on depends on the sort of interest shown and by whom. I can confirm I've been in contact with a number of people thus far and I'm doing my best to be as honest with them as possible. My preference would be for someone to take over and end up keeping the place going, whether with a trim of the posts for the sake of the DB or whatever they want to do.

Rapscallion