Customers Suck!

Customers Suck! (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/index.php)
-   Site News (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Significant News (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=113541)

Lace Neil Singer 01-20-2016 01:26 AM

Quote:

Quoth smileyeagle1021 (Post 1302249)
*cough* Facebook CS Group *cough*
:angel:

Not safe to join for me, just in case. Venting on social media is a major no-no for me where I work.

I'll miss this place a lot if it goes; been some good times here.

AdamAnt316 01-20-2016 03:59 AM

I've been a lurker on here for several years now, since I started working at a now-defunct (in)convenience store. As you can see, my post count barely scrapes 100 (well, more if you count my posts the off-topic sections, but still), but I have been a nearly-daily visitor since I first joined up (after being pointed towards here by my good friend, Dave1982). I'm on a number of other forums as well, but this is definitely one of my favorites.

I would very much be sad to see this place go, since it gave me a place to vent my frustrations back when I worked in retail, and has provided loads of interesting stories to read and learn from over the years. I'm another one of those not-on-FB types, and a bit of a luddite in general (as my avatar has long showed), so I'd be unlikely to follow to the social media sites. I definitely hope a way is found to keep this place around in something resembling this form.
-Adam

Kogarashi 01-20-2016 05:37 AM

Quote:

Quoth BookstoreEscapee (Post 1302434)
Would you use the same name? I don't really comment there, but I read it every day. I'll look for ya'.

I know I periodically comment on Retail when I have something relevant to say, and under the same username. It actually amuses me when I'm on another site and see a username I recognize from here in the comments (Etiquette Hell comes to mind).

BookstoreEscapee 01-20-2016 12:44 PM

Quote:

Quoth Kogarashi (Post 1302584)
I know I periodically comment on Retail when I have something relevant to say, and under the same username. It actually amuses me when I'm on another site and see a username I recognize from here in the comments (Etiquette Hell comes to mind).

Now I'll have to keep an eye out. I don't usually comment (if I do it's under ams1001), and I usually read it first thing in the morning when I get to work, and don't go back later.

I once saw a name from here on an atheist blog that I read. Took a second to register and then I was like, Hey! I know that guy!

XCashier 01-20-2016 01:22 PM

Quote:

Quoth Kogarashi (Post 1302584)
I know I periodically comment on Retail when I have something relevant to say, and under the same username.

I comment on Retail too, but under the name Luna. Used to use my real first name, then someone else with the same name who joined later called me a "name thief". :rolleyes:

CrazedClerkthe2nd 01-20-2016 04:27 PM

With regards to the people who think it is too risky to join the FB group: Would it not be possible to create an independent FB profile to use specifically for that group to help protect your anonymity?

Crossbow 01-20-2016 04:42 PM

Quote:

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd (Post 1302618)
With regards to the people who think it is too risky to join the FB group: Would it not be possible to create an independent FB profile to use specifically for that group to help protect your anonymity?

Not as long as FB is demanding that you use your real name.

Lace Neil Singer 01-20-2016 05:02 PM

I sometimes comment, using one of my various aliases to avoid detection... *shifty look*

prjkt 01-20-2016 07:15 PM

The Facebook group is a private one is it not?

AdvancedFlea 01-20-2016 07:51 PM

Quote:

Quoth Lace Neil Singer (Post 1302622)
I sometimes comment, using one of my various aliases to avoid detection... *shifty look*

The other thing you can do is not link your work to your facebook. Don't mix work and pleasure :)

EricKei 01-20-2016 09:18 PM

Closed, yes, Private, no.

Anyone can see that it's there, but only members of the group can see the actual posts.

There's been a vote & discussion going on within the CS group to that effect, actually.

wildman 01-20-2016 09:48 PM

Sorry to hear about this! I have been a member for about 8 years. I rarely post anything, but love reading the stories. It's a good reminder of when I used to work retail. One of the things that got me hooked on this site was reading "The Numbnut Chronicles" and some of Rapscillions posts that are now in the War Stories section.
Hope all goes well and it doesn't go away. :-(

Dragon_Dreamer 01-21-2016 12:10 AM

Quote:

Quoth otakuneko (Post 1302422)
I could afford the site, even on the $150/mo quoted, and I have a technical background, but not specifically in php. I could certainly keep the lights on.

I don't know if I'm the person to revitalize the site, as Raps desires. I'm not very outgoing, and not much of a marketer (web or otherwise).

THAT, I can help you with, at least with the marketing. And I'm certain we have a php expert or several on hand, or those of us willing to learn.

Sunshine 01-21-2016 01:26 AM

This makes me sad...I found this site when I was working at a c-store and reading the posts made me feel not so alone...hope someone(s) can take over...

Camry178 01-21-2016 02:50 AM

I'm definitely willing to donate...With as many members that we have here, hopefully most of us would be willing to donate what they can monthly to help keep this place going. =)

Kogarashi 01-21-2016 02:58 AM

I'd probably be willing to do a Patreon-style donation too, if it helps things.

Quote:

Quoth XCashier (Post 1302610)
I comment on Retail too, but under the name Luna. Used to use my real first name, then someone else with the same name who joined later called me a "name thief". :rolleyes:

Isn't that always the way? Reminds me of when I was looking at reviews for a young adult novel I have and like, and at least one review accused the book of "ripping off Harry Potter." The book in question? Published in the early 1980's.

HawaiianShirts 01-21-2016 04:21 AM

Quote:

Quoth Rapscallion (Post 1302559)
...whether with a trim of the posts for the sake of the DB...

Question: Is it possible to download a static copy of the entire forum? Or the database that contains all the posts? I'm fairly sure I don't have time to manually copy all of my posts and my favorite stories before the six-week deadline hits, but I have a passing familiarity with SQL, so if given access, I could probably extract what I would like to keep...

Rapscallion 01-21-2016 05:58 AM

Just so everyone knows, I'm currently in discussion with someone who is interested in taking the place on as it is (no trimming) and capable of doing so. As long as this comes off, and I'm not interested in making promises here, things wouldn't change once the transfer takes place.

I have had several expressions of interest, and given the time scale so far that's quite pleasing, but this is currently my preferred option.

Holding your breath is not advised, but things are looking optimistic.

Rapscallion

ParkingWitch 01-21-2016 08:33 AM

Crossing fingers and toes and whatever else I can.

Canarr 01-21-2016 09:53 AM

Sorry to hear that; I've been mostly lurking here, but this site has provided me with years of entertainment.

Thanks, Raps, for your work here over the years.

XCashier 01-21-2016 02:34 PM

Quote:

Quoth Kogarashi (Post 1302667)
Reminds me of when I was looking at reviews for a young adult novel I have and like, and at least one review accused the book of "ripping off Harry Potter." The book in question? Published in the early 1980's.

Two writers may have similar ideas, but that does not mean that one ripped off the other. There are so many books and so little time, it would be impossible to read everything ever published and make sure you're not copying someone else. It's certainly not possible to travel in time and copy something that will be published long after your book is! :p

Back on topic, would hosting small advertising banners be helpful, or would that be more trouble than it's worth? Just an idea.

Ironclad Alibi 01-21-2016 02:44 PM

Quote:

Quoth Kogarashi (Post 1302667)
Isn't that always the way? Reminds me of when I was looking at reviews for a young adult novel I have and like, and at least one review accused the book of "ripping off Harry Potter." The book in question? Published in the early 1980's.

[OT] Do you recall the title of that book? Was it per chance the Crestomanci series by Diana Wynne Jones? [/OT]

CrazedClerkthe2nd 01-21-2016 06:58 PM

Quote:

Quoth Rapscallion (Post 1302677)
Just so everyone knows, I'm currently in discussion with someone who is interested in taking the place on as it is (no trimming) and capable of doing so. As long as this comes off, and I'm not interested in making promises here, things wouldn't change once the transfer takes place.

I have had several expressions of interest, and given the time scale so far that's quite pleasing, but this is currently my preferred option.

Holding your breath is not advised, but things are looking optimistic.

Rapscallion

Thanks for the update. Fingers crossed.

morgana 01-21-2016 08:44 PM

Thanks for the update, Raps. Got a whole box of candles lit . . .

Mental_Mouse 01-21-2016 11:09 PM

Quote:

Quoth XCashier (Post 1302697)
Two writers may have similar ideas, but that does not mean that one ripped off the other. There are so many books and so little time, it would be impossible to read everything ever published and make sure you're not copying someone else.

Indeed, it's a commonplace "proverb" within SF/F that "there are no new ideas, what matters is what you do with them". Of course, that's not literally true... once in a great while, a truly new idea comes along, but it's really not common. Surprisingly often, that idea that seems so unique to the latest bestseller, turns out to have made a prior appearance in Jules Verne or H.G. Wells, if not some medieval romance or even ancient mythology. In that vein, Ken McLeod has quipped that “History is the trade secret of science fiction”.

Kogarashi 01-22-2016 04:59 AM

So glad to hear things are looking up. :)

Quote:

Quoth Ironclad Alibi (Post 1302698)
[OT] Do you recall the title of that book? Was it per chance the Crestomanci series by Diana Wynne Jones? [/OT]

The book is actually Which Witch by Eva Ibbotson (and I was mistaken on the date, it's 1979, not early 80's, so I was off by a couple years). I'm not even sure how it was supposed to have ripped off Harry Potter in the first place, but it was clearly a case of "young reviewer has no clue what they're talking about and doesn't know how to pay attention to publication dates" rather than similar ideas.

peach2play 01-22-2016 02:44 PM

We wish you well! Thanks for all the good times!

pudddykat 01-22-2016 11:23 PM

I wish you the best Raps and have everything crossed things work out. "Don't hold your breath..." made me think of one of my favorite of my Grandmas sayings "Don't hold your hand on your ass/butt it my grow there" :D my other favorite is "Don't get a burr up your butt." :roll:

Slave to the Phone 01-23-2016 03:27 AM

Quote:

Quoth Dragon_Dreamer (Post 1302293)
:(

If I had the money, I would offer to take over the site. I have the skills, but not the immediate cash. :( I can only afford maybe a third of that.

I love this site, and have made so many wonderful friends. I hope someone also takes the time to save everything Plaidman posted.

Here's hoping whoever takes over will continue the forums.

I also can't afford to take the site over but I can pledge 10 bucks a month to help keep it going. How could we do this?

PS, I don't want to be a mod. :eek: I'm crazy, but I'm not insane! :lol:

MadMike 01-23-2016 03:43 AM

Quote:

Quoth Slave to the Phone (Post 1302934)
PS, I don't want to be a mod. :eek: I'm crazy, but I'm not insane! :lol:

You don't have to be crazy to be a mod, but it helps. ;)

blondescales 01-23-2016 04:02 AM

So glad I found this thread, I would have been really upset if another site I enjoy poofed with no warning. I mostly lurk but I do enjoy reading the posts here. Hope something works out that we can keep this forum.

Another forum I'm on has a subscription option to help pay for it. Free members have limited forum access but paid members ($18 a year) have full forum access. Just an idea if paying for the site becomes an issue.

EricKei 01-23-2016 05:01 AM

Have no fear, plans are afoot.

laborcat 01-23-2016 01:26 PM

Quote:

Quoth blondescales (Post 1302939)

Another forum I'm on has a subscription option to help pay for it. Free members have limited forum access but paid members ($18 a year) have full forum access. Just an idea if paying for the site becomes an issue.

I'm certainly not overly blessed financially, and once this divorce gets rolling it'll surely get tighter, but even I could swing that much if it means keeping this place alive. I haven't been too chatty on here lately but your stories and advice have been my ability to hang on sometimes. Hopefully the current negotiations are successful.

Sandman 01-23-2016 05:51 PM

Back in the Slugger days... there was a "free" and a "paid" membership. Differences were minor. Had a lot to do with search times, and priority when the site was under load. Also the amount of messages you could store at any given time.

MadMike 01-23-2016 06:20 PM

There were also little perks like being able to have a custom title.

MoonCat 01-23-2016 10:03 PM

Quote:

Quoth blondescales (Post 1302939)
So glad I found this thread, I would have been really upset if another site I enjoy poofed with no warning. I mostly lurk but I do enjoy reading the posts here. Hope something works out that we can keep this forum.

I could do that. I would also be willing to sponsor one other person who really couldn't afford to do it. It would have to be through PayPal, though, as I don't have a credit card and would rather not use my debit card online.

Rapscallion 01-23-2016 11:23 PM

Currently this isn't looking necessary :)

Rapscallion

notalwaysright 01-23-2016 11:31 PM

Quote:

Quoth Rapscallion (Post 1303014)

Rapscallion

Yay? I still might go through and save some of my favorite posts. Adventures of Lobotomy Girl is such a classic. I've read those out loud to friends and they've laughed so hard they cried.

BookstoreEscapee 01-24-2016 04:23 PM

Quote:

Quoth Rapscallion (Post 1303014)

Rapscallion

Fingers crossed! I haven't been very active the past few years but I realized I would miss the Christmas card list. :)

DGoddessChardonnay 01-24-2016 05:00 PM

Quote:

Quoth BookstoreEscapee (Post 1303065)
Fingers crossed! I haven't been very active the past few years but I realized I would miss the Christmas card list. :)

I think quite a few of us would miss that. Luckily it looks like we won't have to give that up.;)

MoonCat 01-24-2016 10:38 PM

Raps, if the site stays up, would you be coming around for a visit, or are you intending to cut all ties completely?

Rapscallion 01-24-2016 11:23 PM

Provided everything goes as is currently planned, I'd be staying around.

Rapscallion

Teysa 01-24-2016 11:51 PM

Oh good. The site wouldn't be the same without you.

Kogarashi 01-25-2016 12:24 AM

Quote:

Quoth Teysa (Post 1303113)
Oh good. The site wouldn't be the same without you.

This x1000. :yes:

Lace Neil Singer 01-25-2016 04:57 PM

Quote:

Quoth Rapscallion (Post 1303109)
Provided everything goes as is currently planned, I'd be staying around.

Rapscallion

http://rs1156.pbsrc.com/albums/p570/...64094.gif~c200

So glad to hear that. :)

MoonCat 01-26-2016 02:31 AM

YAY!!! :D We would miss you if you weren't here!

Skrae 01-26-2016 05:25 AM

Looks like I picked a poor time to return!

Seriously, I hope the deal goes through. I'd like to be a part of this community again. If it doesn't work out, thanks for maintaining this place for the last 10 years, Raps. Thanks to all the mods. Thanks to all the long time posters, and the long time readers. Thanks to the new blood and the old money. Through uptime and downtime, this website has persisted since the '90s (according to Wayback Machine), and I sincerely hope it continues to do so, and would be more than willing to throw a few dollars a month toward ensuring it does so.

skeptic53 01-27-2016 09:54 PM

Quote:

Quoth notalwaysright (Post 1303016)
Adventures of Lobotomy Girl is such a classic.

Can you post a link to that thread? I tried searching and could not find it. Thanks!

Rapscallion 01-27-2016 10:12 PM

They're in the Annals.

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ead.php?t=9519

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=10044

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=12088

Rapscallion

Jester 01-28-2016 12:15 AM

I'm hoping against hope that the proposed deal Raps has been talking about the last few posts does come together, and things stay as they are, or get revitalized, rather than this place getting shut down or destroyed by someone with no clue. Because that would just add to the stellar list of craptastic things in my life this month. My year has started off in epically horrible fashion, to be honest.

But enough selfish whining on my part.

Raps, first and foremost, as I'm sure you know, you need to do what is best for you. A lot of people have come to call this place home over the years, and clearly that has weighed on your decision-making process, but in the end you have to put yourself first. I am sure that the vast majority of the good people here will support you in whatever decision you make. Because things would be lame without this place, but think how lame they would have been if this place hadn't been around for the last ten years. And that, my friend, is your doing.

So, with all sincerity and appreciation, let me thank you for what you've done for this site and its members over the last decade, and wish you well in whatever future endeavors you pursue. I shall raise my next libation in your honor. :cheers:

And now, there is only one thing left to say to you, Mr. Rapscallion:

"Captain, my Captain!"

skeptic53 01-28-2016 02:37 AM

Thanks, Raps!

Sunshine 01-28-2016 03:31 PM

Yay!! I hope it goes through and the forum stays open...

dendawg 01-29-2016 02:54 PM

Just thought I'd throw this out here: If CS does shut down, maybe somebody could create a Customers Suck subreddit? There's already a Tales From Retail sub there.

Edit: Good news, the Customers Suck sub hasn't been claimed yet.

draggar 01-29-2016 06:23 PM

Quote:

Quoth dendawg (Post 1303635)
Just thought I'd throw this out here: If CS does shut down, maybe somebody could create a Customers Suck subreddit? There's already a Tales From Retail sub there.

I'd be willing to throw up a forum and host it - might not be as nice and neat as this one but it would do the job.

fma_fanatic 01-30-2016 01:05 AM

Quote:

Quoth dendawg (Post 1303635)

Oh right, like I need another excuse to spend more time on reddit? :roll:

Rapscallion 01-30-2016 07:56 AM

Quote:

Quoth draggar (Post 1303652)
I'd be willing to throw up a forum and host it - might not be as nice and neat as this one but it would do the job.

Just to clarify:

I'm doing the contract checking thing, and all being well the forum should switch hands at the end of February and ... not lose any content. There'll be a new owner, I'll be hanging on as advisor/admin, and intend to be around for quite some time after. In the unlikely event that everything falls through, I have several other interested parties who are offering something similar.

I can't see this place going anywhere.

Rapscallion

greek_jester 01-30-2016 12:21 PM

Yay! Thanks Raps! I know you need to do what's best for you (I can't imagine how much time and effort it takes to run a place like this) but thank you for trying to do your best by us at the same time. You didn't have to go that extra mile, but it means so much to us all that you did.

Jester 01-30-2016 01:41 PM

I'll say it again.....Captain, my Captain! :salute:

MoonCat 01-30-2016 10:33 PM

This is very, very good news! :D

Valentinian 01-31-2016 03:20 AM

Hooray! And thank you for caring about a smooth transition!

:yourock::salute::love:

draggar 01-31-2016 07:16 PM

Quote:

Quoth Rapscallion (Post 1303734)
Just to clarify:

I'm doing the contract checking thing, and all being well the forum should switch hands at the end of February and ... not lose any content. There'll be a new owner, I'll be hanging on as advisor/admin, and intend to be around for quite some time after. In the unlikely event that everything falls through, I have several other interested parties who are offering something similar.

I can't see this place going anywhere.

Rapscallion

Excellent news.

XCashier 01-31-2016 09:04 PM

Thank you, Raps, for everything you've done. Thank you for all of your hard work, for keeping the fire going after Mr. Slugger, and for passing it on to someone who'll do a good job continuing to keep this site alive, for all of us in customer service who need a safe place to vent.

klhanson 01-31-2016 10:38 PM

Thank you!!

TawnyMyst 01-31-2016 10:56 PM

Thank you for everything you've done! I hope that this works out and this place stays around! I may not be the most active poster but this place has been a huge support for me for several years now and would definitely miss the Christmas list.

CrazedClerkthe2nd 02-01-2016 12:21 AM

Song 2 style...

WOO HOO! WOO HOO!

Great news Raps. I'm happy you're getting what you want and we're getting what we want, namely the continued existence of this site.

Thanks for all you have done and will continue to do for this place!

wolfie 02-01-2016 02:00 AM

Quote:

Quoth BookstoreEscapee (Post 1302487)
I don't like change.

In that case, I'm sure someone would be glad to take a $100 bill if you want to buy a pack of gum.:D

Quote:

Quoth Mental_Mouse (Post 1302773)
Surprisingly often, that idea that seems so unique to the latest bestseller, turns out to have made a prior appearance in Jules Verne or H.G. Wells, if not some medieval romance or even ancient mythology.

Classic fairytale plot: Beautiful Princess is being held captive by Evil Sorceror. Farm Boy hears her plea for help. With help from Ancient Mystic and Rogue With Heart of Gold, Farm Boy rescues Beautiful Princess. They get married and live happily ever after. (screech of needle across record) WTF? They don't get married - but instead they find out they're brother and sister? How did George Lucas manage to mangle that?

Also, somebody ought to sue that Shakespeare dude for plagiarism. After all, the plot of Romeo and Juliet is ripped off from West Side Story.

Quote:

Quoth Skrae (Post 1303247)
Looks like I picked a poor time to return!

[Airplane]Looks like I picked a poor time to quit sniffing glue [/Airplane]

Amina516 02-01-2016 05:54 AM

Wow. Its been years since I first joined. I've met some awesome people and made some real friends. I haven't been as active (or active at all really lately) but I get on to read and laugh and cry with most of you. I am glad that will likely not change.

Raps, (and Mods and everyone really) Thank you for all that you have done over the years. Sometimes I honestly don't know how I would have gotten through some days without CS and it's wonderful forum goers. <3 <3 <3

Dragon_Dreamer 02-01-2016 07:08 AM

WHOOOO! *glomps on Raps*

peach2play 02-01-2016 02:10 PM

HOOORAAAAYYYY!!! Thank you!!!!

morgana 02-01-2016 08:30 PM

Oh, the relief! :D

Jay 2K Winger 02-01-2016 09:31 PM

Three cheers for Raps and our impending new overlords!

Hip, hip--!

Kogarashi 02-01-2016 11:47 PM

--Hooray!

Quote:

Quoth wolfie (Post 1303893)
WTF? They don't get married - but instead they find out they're brother and sister? How did George Lucas manage to mangle that?

Lucas obviously wanted the Princess to hook up with the Rogue With a Heart of Gold to shake things up, so of course he had to nip in the bud any chances of her ending up with Farm Boy.

I know I've recently mentioned people thinking a book from the late 70's/early 80's was ripping off Harry Potter. I do think I may have heard an anecdote about someone actually accusing Romeo and Juliet of ripping off West Side Story before, mentioned by my professor in college when we covered the pair of them in Humanities. I wouldn't be surprised to find similar accusations of Hamlet stealing ideas from The Lion King.

EricKei 02-02-2016 12:08 AM

Quote:

Quoth Kogarashi (Post 1304004)
I wouldn't be surprised to find similar accusations of Hamlet stealing ideas from The Lion King.

I'm sure there are people out there who accuse Kimba the White Lion of ripping off LK, as well ;)

wolfie 02-02-2016 12:22 AM

Quote:

Quoth Kogarashi (Post 1304004)
Lucas obviously wanted the Princess to hook up with the Rogue With a Heart of Gold to shake things up, so of course he had to nip in the bud any chances of her ending up with Farm Boy.

The bit about them being brother and sister wasn't introduced into series canon with the original movie (IIRC, it was introduced in RotJ, where Han asked Leia if she cared for Luke (implying that he'd step aside to avoid interfering in their relationship), and was extremely happy with her response "Of course I care for him - he's my brother".

In the novel "Splinter of the Mind's Eye", certain plot elements would not make sense (except to stereotyped Rednecks) if the "brother/sister" bit had already been introduced into series canon.

Kogarashi 02-02-2016 12:34 AM

Oh, I'm aware of that, wolfie (not of the Expanded Universe story, but of when the bit was most likely introduced to the story). I just figure that was also the point where Lucas really decided which character he wanted Leia to end up with, then made sure to do the "he's my brother" bit to fend off angry fans of the other pairing or something like that. Cover his bases and all. I can't think of any other reason why there would've been that kiss between Leia and Luke in Empire.