X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, the rain has my telepathy on the fritz

Short explanation.

Had a guy die. I write the obits so this isn't unusual. Get the guy's obit. Read the whole thing before starting to write it up. Although the fellow has done most of his work in one town, which we'll call JohnDoesville, the obit, very clearly, mentioned "his home in Bumfuck." (Obviously not the name of either town.)

So, silly me, I decide "huh, guess he retired to there" since it's a somewhat richer town than JohnDoesville, and wrote him as being from there, since there was absolutely no indication given anywhere in the entire obit of anything different.

Cue the screaming from the family this morning.

"Now WHERE did you get from this obit that he was from Bumfuck???"

*casually points to the line of the obit that mentions his home in Bumfuck*

"...well...well...YOU DID IT WRONG! He's from JohnDoesville!"

"I apologize but I can only use the information that's provided to me, and this clearly seems to state that he is from Bumfuck with absolutely no mention of JohnDoesville."

Apparently, the response to that is that the guy is some big deal local business owner, and I should have "just known". Let me make something clear about what I know about people. 1. Is that person Sebastian Stan? 2. If no, don't know shit. Can only use what is ON THE OBIT YOU PROVIDED.

Obviously I explained this in slightly nicer terms.

"Well you should have JUST KNOWN! This is ALL YOUR FAULT!"

And right about there was when the phone mysteriously disconnected.

I'm sure they'll be back to yell some more, but my bosses can deal with it at this point. If getting your information correct requires me to have a different set of mutant powers than the ones I already have, then maybe, just MAYBE, it's a tiny bit your fault.
    "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
    If getting your information correct requires me to have a different set of mutant powers than the ones I already have, then maybe, just MAYBE, it's a tiny bit your fault.
    A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
      A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.
      Sorry, but I just had to sig this one...

OMG at those people... They could've just been polite and asked to run a correction instead, but SCs do like to whine.
      Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

Comment

At least the guy is actually dead. My father got an amazing article and obit in my home town paper. See before we moved he owned the best body shop in town, help with the elks and the lions clubs, was a prominent figure in the community. People loved my dad cause every year he helped build a snow run for the kids and made sure the parking lot to the local market was plowed and did all sorts of nice things. He didn't discriminate and let people make payments rather than hold them hostage. He was the first person in town to do fiberglass work and always ran the cotton candy stand at any local event to raise honey for whatever cause.

Yup. All around good guy.

He is alive and well and living in (state) semi retired and making wooden toys for abused and neglected children and tutoring when he isn't teaching classes. Imagine my surprise when I start getting calls about how sorry they are for my loss, or in the case of my godparents how dare I not tell them my Daddy had passed. I was shocked to hear he was dead as he was in the kitchen making us lunch.

Comment

Please

Quoth Aislin View Post
          He is alive and well and living in (state) semi retired and making wooden toys for abused and neglected children and tutoring when he isn't teaching classes. Imagine my surprise when I start getting calls about how sorry they are for my loss, or in the case of my godparents how dare I not tell them my Daddy had passed. I was shocked to hear he was dead as he was in the kitchen making us lunch.
          Please tell me in the case of your godparents you just handed the phone to him.

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
            "Well you should have JUST KNOWN! This is ALL YOUR FAULT!"
            This is what every sucky customer says when they don't get what they want because they didn't explain what they wanted. We are not gods. We are not omniscient or telepathic. We are mere human beings, just like the customers. You have to use your words, like we learned in kindergarten, and tell us what you want. It just baffles me how people do not comprehend that.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Aislin View Post
              He was the first person in town to do fiberglass work and always ran the cotton candy stand at any local event to raise honey for whatever cause.
              Interesting juxtaposition - remind me to never eat the cotton candy. BTW, was that a typo, or did the bees participate in these events?
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
              X