This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There Must Have Been Some Magic in that Old Asshat They Found

This two jobs thing is kind of a blessing and a curse. On one hand, the extra income is awesome. However, I have a couple of days a week where I work both jobs, which means I work 18 hours in a day. Ouch. Although, I lost 7 pounds this week alone, so whether it's lifting/stocking/loading hundreds of pounds of crap all night or lack of sleep, but I'm getting a head start on working off the extra weight from indulging in all the holiday treats. But, carrying around dirty boxes all night (what the hell goes on in the distribution center anyway?) is murder on my hands. My fingertips are dry and splitting, not even my beloved Bath and Body Works Cinnamon Bun Heaven lotion can save them

SM = Sucky Man
    SW = Sucky Woman
    ME = Duh
    DLR: Dealer
    SUP: my boss

Stage One: Grocery

EWWWWWW!

As I went about my after hours routine of stocking the shelves the other night, I came across a styrofoam coffee cup sitting on a shelf. No biggie, the old guys on night crew leave them laying around all the time. So the store is about to open and I grab the cup to get rid of it, and to my horror it does not contain coffee. It's half full of someone's freaking spit and chewing tobacco. No one on the crew chews, so it was clearly left by some inconsiderate customer. That's okay. Leave your disgusting tobaccy juice laying around. I'll have the last laugh when you get cancer and have your jaw removed.

Yesss, Precioussss

I found someone's grocery list last night. I read it and they had "Ritzes." Delicious Ritzes, for the precious. With fishes.

Do Not Cut

"Do Not Cut Box," "Do Not Open With Box Knife," "No Cutting," and so on are the biggest jokes in Grocery. If it is possible to open it with the knife, we will use it. If it's not possible, we'll probably try anyway. The only time any actual product gets slashed is when some jackass is trying to show off.

Stage Two: Customer Care

You Are So Fired...

DLR: I have a customer here who is threatening to cancel unless he gets (PHONE) for free. You need to help him out.
    ME: Sure, can I speak to him please?
    SM: Hello?
    ME: Hi! I understand you were looking to get a (PHONE)?
    SM: Yeah, I am.
    ME: Okay. I can get that for you for $XXX.XX today, but you'll be eligible for the max discount in 2 months. At that time, you'll be able to get it for $XX.XX.
    SM: Oh, okay! Well, I'll just wait a couple of months then. Thanks.
    ME: No problem.
    DLR: Hello?
    ME: Yes?
    DLR: So what happened?
    ME: Oh, I told him he'll be eligible for the max discount in a couple of months. He was pretty happy with that, so he's going to wait.
    DLR: Look, I don't think you understand how serious this is.
    ME *raised eyebrow*: Reeeally?
    DLR: I have a very valuable customer here who is about to walk out and go activate with (COMPETITOR) unless you give him the discount now.
    ME: Is that so? Well, he seemed to find my information to be satisfactory.
    DLR: Well, my store manager is standing right here, and so is my District Manager. And they don't think you handled that appropriately!
    ME *my best Cheshire Cat grin*: You don't say? Too bad they have no authority over me.
    DLR: So you aren't going to give him the discount now?
    ME: Not until February.
    DLR: Let me talk to your supervisor!
    ME: *snicker* Seriously?
    DLR: GET ME YOUR SUPERVISOR!
    ME: O...kay.....
    *HOLD*
    ME: You are going to LOVE this.
    SUP: We'll see about that.
    ME: I have a dealer who is demanding to talk to you.
    SUP: Uh, he knows it's against policy for him to do that, right?
    ME: I dunno. But he says his manager and DM are right there and don't agree with me for the price of a phone.
    SUP: So, why doesn't the DM exocise his ability to do whatever he wants?
    ME: Because if the store manager or the DM is there, I'm the queen of France.

My sup had this guy slammed in about 2 minutes. She asked why the guy didn't just have his manager or DM override the price, and before he could respond, she asked him if he was aware that it was against policy for dealers to escalate to a sup and that it will result in disciplinary action up to and including termination. The guy gave a little shriek and hung up

You Lose

ME: Hi, this is Kara. Could I just have your name please?
    SW: Yes, I want to see if I can possibly blah blah blah blah......

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Easy there, turbo. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but you couldn't possibly have been any further from the correct response to the question.

Whee

I had no less than 10 people call in stating that they will cancel if they don't get a free phone. None of them got one

National Lampoon's Asshat Vacation

Tremendously long story short, Mr Asshat has been a good little peon and earned some vacation time. So he loads up his lucky velvet Elvis and gets in his car (no doubt lovingly painted to resemble the General Lee) and goes wherever it is that members of the Asshat tribe go to take a break for the daily knuckle-drag. Oh, but a week prior to this, he got himself a warranty exchange for his phone. So on his way out the door, he puts his old phone in a box and leaves it on the porch. He calls UPS and tells them to come grab his package, then drives off to the sunset.
    He returns 6 weeks later to find that the package is still sitting there. He also finds out he was charged in excess of $300 for not returning the phone to us, forcing us to buy another one from the manufacturer. He then decides that he should call in and explain how much this is not his fault. He gets grumpy with the customer service guy and says the magic word "cancel." That's where I come in.

SM: You need to take this charge off! Is not my fault they no pick it up!
    ME: And I'm definitely sorry to hear that they were not able to come by to pick up the package for whatever reason. However, we did advise you to return the phone within X days of receiving the replacement to avoid the restocking fee, and-
    SM: But I call them and tell them to pick it up! They don't do this, you call them and they pay fee!
    ME: Unfortunately, they would not be liable for this fee.
    SM: But I try to return it before I go on vacation!
    ME: How soon before you left for vacation did you receive the phone?
    SM: That's not important!
    ME: Because you could have taken it to a UPS store to make absolutely certain it would be sent.
    SM: I am busy! I do not have time!
    ME: But, you were going on vacation, so I would presume...
    SM: You take off this charge!
    ME: I cannot do that.
    SM: I hope all your company go out of business!
    ME: Thank you!
    SM: F*** you!
    ME:
    SM: *click!*

What is so damn hard about responsibility that people are unable to comprehend
    it at all? You're about to leave for 6 weeks and you make no effort at all to take 5 minutes to make sure all the little crap is taken care of before you go? I guess we learned one thing from all this. That this guy lives in an area with a very low crime rate. I mean, this box sat on his porch for 6 damn weeks.

Utterly Pointless

SM: I know it's probably not your fault. I'm just wasting my time talking to you. I just wanted to bitch about it because it makes me feel better.

Great. Thanks a pantload. Although I did like how the fact that you broke your phone is "probably" not my fault. You know, cause there's always a slim possibility that I was, in fact, directly responsible for it merely by existing.

Not a Chance in Hell

Guy went over his minutes. Guy wants a credit or he'll cancel. Guy has been issued over $1800 in credits in the last few years he's been in service. Customer Service Girl puts Guy on hold and laughs. Customer Service Girl asks her SUP and shows her Guy's credit history. Customer Service Girl and SUP both laugh. Customer Service Girl asks SUP if she can suggest Guy set his phone on fire and cram it up his ass. Sideways. SUP says no. Customer Service Girl sulks. Customer Service Girl tells guy there will be no credit applied to his account. Guy's incoherent ranting is ignored by Customer Service Girl as she resumes playing DS.

And a Big "No" for this Guy Too

ME: We can exchange your phone under the warranty replacement for you.
    SM: I don't want the same phone. I want (FAR BETTER, MORE EXPENSIVE PHONE).
    ME: Okay, I can get that for you for $XXX.XX.
    SM: I'm not paying for it! You should send it instead of this one.
    ME: I'm sorry, the manufacturer's warranty only covers the same device.
    SM: Either give me (OTHER PHONE) or I cancel!
    ME: Then you can buy (OTHER PHONE) for $XXX.XX or we can exchange the same phone for free.
    SM: Cancel my service then!
    ME: Very well.

The fact that I was perfectly willing to cancel him instead of begging him not to go and giving him what he wanted infuriated him to the point of yelling and screaming random obscenities before demanding a supervisor. This also got him nowhere.
    Last edited by Kara; 12-23-2007, 07:00 PM.
    "You are loved" - Plaidman.

I don't know why but the term "Ritzes" *really* amuses me.

I fear I have troubling news, dear sister. The client upon which I'm exposed to your customers has decided to cancel their service with us at the end of the month. Apparently they finally clued in that their customers are frothing idiots and paying someone to cater to idiots 24/7 just leads to yet more asshattery.

Oddly, management was very happy to see them go too. Usually its just us operators that celebrate the death of a client account. ;p

Comment

Do Not Cut

"Do Not Cut Box," "Do Not Open With Box Knife," "No Cutting," and so on are the biggest jokes in Grocery. If it is possible to open it with the knife, we will use it. If it's not possible, we'll probably try anyway. The only time any actual product gets slashed is when some jackass is trying to show off.
      We do the same in the bookstore (though they don't usually tell you not to cut the boxes). I'll slash anything with a razor blade (aggression? me?? no!!) and I almost never damaged a book. Even when there was no protective cardboard or styrofoam on top to prevent such slashing. Yes, I am that good.

Customer Service Girl asks SUP if she can suggest Guy set his phone on fire and cram it up his ass. Sideways. SUP says no.
      I still say your SUP is mean.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Kara_CS View Post
        But, carrying around dirty boxes all night (what the hell goes on in the distribution center anyway?) is murder on my hands. My fingertips are dry and splitting, not even my beloved Bath and Body Works Cinnamon Bun Heaven lotion can save them
        Slather hands with lotion, put on cotton gloves, go to sleep for the night. It may take a few days to notice results, but it does work. Your brain may hurt because of the stupidity, but your fingers shouldn't have to!

Comment

Customer Service Girl asks SUP if she can suggest Guy set his phone on fire and cram it up his ass. Sideways. SUP says no.
          Maybe the Sup thought that was a bit too harsh. They might have gone with lengthwise had you thought to compromise.

I love your stories and humor Kara. Thank you.
          This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

The title of this thread made my day.
            "Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings"-Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Far too many people assume that if you threaten to cancel service with whoever that whoever are just supposed to bend over backwards to keep your sorry ass. Most places I know don't care if you cancel. Somebody canceling an accouint doesn't cut into their profit margin.
              MORE people are getting new accounts than are canceling accounts. You wanna cancel? ok..bye bye...lol.

Comment

Quoth Reyneth View Post
                Slather hands with lotion, put on cotton gloves, go to sleep for the night. It may take a few days to notice results, but it does work. Your brain may hurt because of the stupidity, but your fingers shouldn't have to!
                There's also that handcream advertised for norweigen fishermen's hands. It's got a protective layer as well as a moisturiser, so if you put that on in the morning, then use moisturising lotion just before you go to bed, your hands should improve rapidly. Worked for me when I did a two week stint of coastal sailing, and holding on to salty/sandy ropes all day.

Comment

But, carrying around dirty boxes all night (what the hell goes on in the distribution center anyway?) is murder on my hands. My fingertips are dry and splitting, not even my beloved Bath and Body Works Cinnamon Bun Heaven lotion can save them
                  Zim's crack cream rub on hands every night before you go to bed for a few days.

Comment

Quoth walking with scissors View Post
                    The title of this thread made my day.
                    Me too!

(to the tune of Frosty The Snowman)

Sucky the Cust'mer, was a very cranky man
                    With a constant frown and a crinkled brow and a brain made out of Spam
                    Sucky the Cust'mer, liked to ruin people's day
                    With demands and whines and wasting time and wanting his own way.

There must have been some magic in that old ass hat they found
                    'Cause when he stuck it on his head, he begin to kvetch around
                    Oh Sucky the Cust'mer had to hurry on his way
                    But he said, "Don't smile, I'll be back a while, and I'm going to make you pay!"

Grumpity grump grump, grumpity grump grump, look at that Sucky yell,
                    Grumpity grump grump, grumpity grump grump, the Customer From Hell!

(InstaFilk! Sorry, couldn't resist! )
                    Last edited by XCashier; 12-25-2007, 04:40 AM. Reason: added extra verse! ;)
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Kara_CS View Post
                      DLR: Let me talk to your supervisor!
                      ME: *snicker* Seriously?
                      DLR: GET ME YOUR SUPERVISOR!
                      ME: O...kay.....
                      *HOLD*
                      ME: You are going to LOVE this.
                      SUP: We'll see about that.
                      ME: I have a dealer who is demanding to talk to you.
                      SUP: Uh, he knows it's against policy for him to do that, right?
                      ME: I dunno. But he says his manager and DM are right there and don't agree with me for the price of a phone.
                      SUP: So, why doesn't the DM exocise his ability to do whatever he wants?
                      ME: Because if the store manager or the DM is there, I'm the queen of France.

My sup had this guy slammed in about 2 minutes. She asked why the guy didn't just have his manager or DM override the price, and before he could respond, she asked him if he was aware that it was against policy for dealers to escalate to a sup and that it will result in disciplinary action up to and including termination. The guy gave a little shriek and hung up
                      The moment I read this I got a mental image of Homer Simpson screaming and then hanging the phone up.
                      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth Kara_CS View Post
                        But, carrying around dirty boxes all night (what the hell goes on in the distribution center anyway?) is murder on my hands. My fingertips are dry and splitting, not even my beloved Bath and Body Works Cinnamon Bun Heaven lotion can save them.
                        I can't believe I am ignoring all the hilarity in your post and only commenting on the one thing I may have a practical suggestion for. I must be tired!

Anyways, I work in bars. And some of the barbacks I work with, who are constantly carrying boxes, ice buckets, garbage cans, etc., wear gloves. Not the yellow rubber gloves you would use to clean your kitchen, or those think latex gloves your doctor wears, but athletic gloves, such as the kind that cyclists, weightlifters, or personal wrestlers might wear. They are comfortable, durable, and breathe easy, and would protect your hands. Naturally, if your problem includes your fingertips, you would want the full-fingered ones. If you are worried about them looking good, I would recommend black.

Just a thought.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Kara_CS View Post
                          National Lampoon's Asshat Vacation

Tremendously long story short, Mr Asshat has been a good little peon and earned some vacation time. So he loads up his lucky velvet Elvis and gets in his car (no doubt lovingly painted to resemble the General Lee) and goes wherever it is that members of the Asshat tribe go to take a break for the daily knuckle-drag. Oh, but a week prior to this, he got himself a warranty exchange for his phone. So on his way out the door, he puts his old phone in a box and leaves it on the porch. He calls UPS and tells them to come grab his package, then drives off to the sunset.
                          He returns 6 weeks later to find that the package is still sitting there. He also finds out he was charged in excess of $300 for not returning the phone to us, forcing us to buy another one from the manufacturer. He then decides that he should call in and explain how much this is not his fault. He gets grumpy with the customer service guy and says the magic word "cancel." That's where I come in.

SM: You need to take this charge off! Is not my fault they no pick it up!
                          ME: And I'm definitely sorry to hear that they were not able to come by to pick up the package for whatever reason. However, we did advise you to return the phone within X days of receiving the replacement to avoid the restocking fee, and-
                          SM: But I call them and tell them to pick it up! They don't do this, you call them and they pay fee!
                          ME: Unfortunately, they would not be liable for this fee.
                          SM: But I try to return it before I go on vacation!
                          ME: How soon before you left for vacation did you receive the phone?
                          SM: That's not important!
                          ME: Because you could have taken it to a UPS store to make absolutely certain it would be sent.
                          SM: I am busy! I do not have time!
                          ME: But, you were going on vacation, so I would presume...
                          SM: You take off this charge!
                          ME: I cannot do that.
                          SM: I hope all your company go out of business!
                          ME: Thank you!
                          SM: F*** you!
                          ME:
                          SM: *click!*

What is so damn hard about responsibility that people are unable to comprehend
                          it at all? You're about to leave for 6 weeks and you make no effort at all to take 5 minutes to make sure all the little crap is taken care of before you go? I guess we learned one thing from all this. That this guy lives in an area with a very low crime rate. I mean, this box sat on his porch for 6 damn weeks.
                          As I read this exchange, I just started hearing the voice of Khan from "King of the Hill" as the voice of the sucky customer. I'm almost surprised he didn't call you a stupid hillbilly or something along that line. LOL!

By the way, clever title!

XCashier, your rhyme was pretty clever, too!
                          The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Quoth Kara_CS View Post
                            You should try wearing gloves at work. I recommend Kevlar lined gloves. They're usually a nice breathable cotton fabric glove that's lined with Kevlar on the fingers and palm. Not only are they highly cut resistant (for safety when working with box cutters ) But they also will protect your hands from the nasty boxes. The texture of the Kevlar also creates a more secure grip for lifting/carrying boxes.

I've still got a supply of them on hand from when I worked at the paper mill. The gloveses, they are preciousssss

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
                              You should try wearing gloves at work. I recommend Kevlar lined gloves. They're usually a nice breathable cotton fabric glove that's lined with Kevlar on the fingers and palm. Not only are they highly cut resistant (for safety when working with box cutters ) But they also will protect your hands from the nasty boxes. The texture of the Kevlar also creates a more secure grip for lifting/carrying boxes.

I've still got a supply of them on hand from when I worked at the paper mill. The gloveses, they are preciousssss
                              Also, you won't leave prints, when you "dispose" of that nasty guy, that has been bothering you for the last 15 minutes. Clever!
                              http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/100130
                              Melody Gardot

Comment

Working...
                              X