This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules of engagement

It's come to our notice that there are quite a number of people in the healthcare fields as members on the board. Nurses, other care people, pharmacists and the like.

We're trying this out - if you have a sucky patient story, feel free to throw it in here. Feel free to post sucky prescription tales in the SC section if you like, but here would be fine as well. We're not intending being overly harsh over it.

If there's not much in the way of posting, we'll revert back to where we were, but I get the feeling that we have enough people with enough experiences.

Usual rules of the board apply - cover your arse and don't identify yourselves or your patients/customers and you should do fine. We've had no issues yet in this regard, so we're pretty confident about it.

Rapscallion

Thanks, Raps! I appreciate the kind thoughts to me and my colleagues
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Not a problem.

A couple of things I forgot to mention.

First of all, there are going to be some stories that are going to be gory - it's the nature of the job. A warning in the subject line would be good, thanks, but we generally get them anyway. It's more for newcomers to the forum.

Second, having this section isn't a licence for anyone to ask medical advice. That goes for everyone on the board - if you decide to PM a regular poster on here about a medical issue don't be surprised if you get told that you need to see your primary care provider.

Rapscallion

Comment

I am really excited to read the stories. Great idea, guys!
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
          Not a problem.

A couple of things I forgot to mention.

First of all, there are going to be some stories that are going to be gory - it's the nature of the job. A warning in the subject line would be good, thanks, but we generally get them anyway. It's more for newcomers to the forum.

Second, having this section isn't a licence for anyone to ask medical advice. That goes for everyone on the board - if you decide to PM a regular poster on here about a medical issue don't be surprised if you get told that you need to see your primary care provider.

Rapscallion
          That's why you're a Admin and I'm not . . . you think of these things
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Just have to ask. . .can we post stories of shoddy health care you've been provided with? Kind of like a health care MiM or something to the ilk of that.

Arghetlam@CS ~ $ sudo awesome

Comment

No problem with posting sightings as long as they are within the site rules (e.g. no fratching, no generalizing, etc).
              The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

AWESOME idea
                GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Just bumping this up to remind people that this is NOT a medical advice forum.

It is for stories about sucky patients and sightings.
                  The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Bumping this AGAIN:

Seriously people. How many times must we say this?

This forum is NOT for asking for medical advice!

This is for sucky patient/medical care provider stories! I will infract the next person to post an "I need medical advice from someone who cannot see my injury/symptoms". There is too much liability involved and you can end up getting someone in trouble.
                    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Bumping again because of stupid timezones.
                      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

*gets on double soapbox 'cause she's too short*

I have just had to shut down yet another thread in Sickbay because of asking for advice just a few moments ago when I checked back in.

I know ya'll mean well . . . but seriously, we could be talking serious liability issues here and we don't want that.

We keep telling ya'll this because it's for ya'll's own good. But it seems it keeps falling on deaf ears.

Please, for the love of DOG . . . .NO MORE.

*steps down off soapbox*
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Liability issue aside, there are two 'advice' subforums, one of which is 'life advice.'
                          This is where I (and others) ask questions like "my ankle pops incessantly, but it doesn't hurt. Am I a mutant?" rather than for diagnosis. Many people have asked "hey, how does medication X work for you?" and "Should I see a doctor about X?" Such as in the case of one person's bounty of freckles that looked funny. (wait. that might have been in off topic directly. ) Also, asking for general direction of stuff to look into might be good as well-- which, you can probably search for on the internet better.
                          People are also generally very good at saying "I'm not a medical professional, and even if I was, I can't examine you, nor am I your regular provider. Get thee to a doctor anyway."
                          This either skirts or bumps into the liability issues...
                          (if this doesn't help, feel free to get rid of this post, mods)
                          "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                          "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Most of us who have any training may give you an idea, but the only advice we're really going to give is "SEE A DOCTOR!"
                            If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

Quoth Nyoibo View Post
                              Most of us who have any training may give you an idea, but the only advice we're really going to give is "SEE A DOCTOR!"
                              Definitely. They're the ones who sold their souls to medical school to be able to tell you what's wrong with you. The rest of us just do all the prep work for them.
                              I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Working...
                              X