View Single Post

Old 06-30-2020, 02:33 PM
Asura Mesmer

Quote:
Quoth greek_jester View Post
If you don't have the room or time to grow your own, look into frozen vegetables. They're usually frozen within hours of being picked so they're actually in better shape and are more nutritious than even freshly delivered veg at the supermarket. Just double check to see if there's added sugar or salt.
Yeah, I've been buying frozen for some things. But if I want to make a salad or a wrap, frozen won't work. I also haven't been able to find frozen spaghetti squash. I've tried making cauliflower rice a couple times, which is pretty good as long as you're not expecting rice. Buying frozen, pre-made cauliflower rice costs 10x more than buying a head of cauliflower. OTOH, if I make it myself, I can freeze the cauliflower rice I make in my food processor and cook it later, so that's cool.

I've been contemplating starting a small garden. One of my neighbors grows tomatoes in 5-gallon buckets. Another neighbor has a big ol' garden with a fence around it to keep the deer out (which isn't paranoia, since there was a deer in the back yard in the middle of the day last weekend). I'd like to emulate them, but I think time and arthritis are going to keep me from doing it.