View Single Post

Old 11-20-2014, 12:26 AM
Area Manager

Quote:
Quoth mhkohne View Post
She really can't do too much-there's rules about account privacy and such. So until your check bounces, she probably can't tell you there's an issue.
Actually, the teller can't even disclose why the check can't be cashed. There's a number of reasons beyond NSF that could cause the teller software to decline to cash a given check. NSF might be the most common, but it's far from the only one.

This reminds me of a situation I handled when I worked at MajorBank. An irate customer wanted to cash her tenant's rent check and we declined to. Our teller software doesn't actually tell the teller why we're declining to cash a given check. Of course, if's it's an on-us check, the teller could just look up the account number, but that would be frowned upon. Anyway, this teller calls my department (why, I don't know, as we didn't normally deal with that sort of stuff), and given that it was a slow day, I try to explain to her that there are numerous reasons she could have been given the do not cash message. Out of curiosity, I looked up the account number. The check was being declined because it was written off an account that was not only closed, but had been charged off several years prior.