Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Closed Thread

SC was furious, outraged, sick with anger!
Old 03-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Chairman of the Board

Default SC was furious, outraged, sick with anger!

I've always wanted to work this quote into one of my posts. Anyways, on to the story. Short one today.

SC comes in asking to use our phone.

SC: Do you have a phone I can borrow? I might get a room here.
Me: I'm sorry we don't have a public phone?
SC: Could you let me use your phone as a friend? As a friend? I don't even know you!
Me: I'm afraid I don't feel comfortable with people I don't know knowing my number.
SC: They won't know your number. I'm just trying to call my dad. Then unless he has a landline w/o caller ID, HE will know my number.
Me: There's a payphone just a five minute walk down the street.
SC: Forget it then. It's not worth it to get a room.

You're right. You're not worth the $80 that our hotel could have gotten.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Moderated Poster

What a sad world we live in when people won't even trust complete strangers with their cellpones. I mean seriously Hero, what if I needed your car? Why wouldn't you just hand your keys over to me inspite of the fact that I don't drive and you're not insured to let me drive it?

Old 03-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Mistress of the House of Books

It's one thing to ask for the use of a phone to call emergency - or for the other person to call emergency. Heck, I'd call a police non-emergency line for someone at need.

But not a random number.
3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

Disclaimer:
My professional areas of expertise are computing and writing: I am not a doctor or a lawyer.
When your health, freedom, etc are at risk, always see a professional.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Elective

Quote:
Me: I'm afraid I don't feel comfortable with people I don't know knowing my number.
I don't mind letting customers use the work phone since our number is public information anyway but... if it was my own cell phone then I'd just tell them the truth...

"Sorry I don't have it." I keep my phone locked in the car while I'm at work.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Area Manager

Let's see, should I hand over something small, expensive and portable, full of personal information, to a person I've never seen in my life.....

Decisions, decisions.

Same standard answer I would have given a person knocking on my door saying their car broke down back in the olden days of land lines - if it's an emergency (911) or even semi-emergency (tow truck, etc) tell me the number and I'll make the call for you. Otherwise, the nearest pay phone is... Strangers are not asked into my house, nor given expensive objects not tied down, LOL.

Madness takes it's toll....
Please have exact change ready.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:10 AM
Den Mother

Quote:
Quoth Merriweather View Post
Let's see, should I hand over something small, expensive and portable, full of personal information, to a person I've never seen in my life.....

Decisions, decisions.

Same standard answer I would have given a person knocking on my door saying their car broke down back in the olden days of land lines - if it's an emergency (911) or even semi-emergency (tow truck, etc) tell me the number and I'll make the call for you. Otherwise, the nearest pay phone is... Strangers are not asked into my house, nor given expensive objects not tied down, LOL.
I will give you my quick answer on that decision . . .

HELL to the NO.

I don't mind calling 911 for someone, but letting them use my impossibly-expensive to replace (and long awaited) little pink iPhone to call whatever random number ain't happening in this life or on this planet.

If I'm a bitch, okay. At least I'm a bitch who still has her phone on her hip.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Area Manager

Don't forget the SCs who will dial long-distance or extra-charge phone numbers that will rack up your bill or chew thru your pre-allocated minutes like there is no tomorrow.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Joo gotcho popcone ready?!?!!!

I agree with nate you shoulda given them your phone, your wallet, your keys, ne offshore accounts and hell might as well throw in your social for kicks and giggles haha

Yea seshat i agree, emergency is one thing, calling randoms another. and def wouldn't just hand over my phone while im behind a counter so that person could potentially just run off with it -_- also find it very funny that they might get a $80 room but won't go use a $.50-$2 payphone haha

I woulda been like hey if you get that room you'll have a phone =) lmao

Old 03-13-2012, 10:55 PM
Will Work for Bacon

I can't believe the chutzpah of people who think it's OK to demand (he really wasn't asking) to use the expensive electronic device that comes with an expensive monthly service plan of other people.

Even if the person has a cheap throwaway cell, it's still an expense that has to be metered carefully by the owner.

Admittedly, many cellphones can block their own number for outgoing calls. But that's not the point.

A stranger will get my cellphone out of my stone dead cold fingers and no other way.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Diner Darlin'

I wouldn't let a stranger use my phone. You have no idea what kind of damage they might have in mind to do.
Closed Thread