Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Unsupportable > Tech help

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 09:02 PM
Area Manager

Something else to consider.. is that Linksys Wireless router used or new? If used, how old? Did you use it yet or buy it used but never messed with it?

I ask because there may be a password already set on the wireless router. Other devices may "see" the network being broadcast by the Linksys, but if the network is password-protected and nobody knows the password, a hard reset may be in order.

To do a hard reset, look at the back of the router and there should be a pinhole somewhere marked "reset". Use the end of a pen, pencil, or un-bent paper clip, then insert it into the hole and hold it there for about 10 seconds. Wait a few minutes, then open a new web browser window and then try typing 192.168.1.1.

-----------------

A heads up for what's to come.. I encourage you to use two passwords on your router: one for network access (so your sister can connect), and another for router access (so you can go in and make changes). Here's why:

Let's say I'm using an iPod Touch while taking a walk around the neighborhood, and while scanning for networks I see one that's unsecured (password not required to join). I touch "connect", and after a few seconds I can browse the internet using the iPod Touch. I can go into Settings, check the network stats, and it will show me the IP address of the router I'm connecting to, which can be 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1 or the like. I simply type those numbers into Safari or whatever web browser app I'm using on the iPod Touch, and if the router isn't protected by a password, I can go in and make changes. I can remotely have that router block all web access, certain sites, set access to certain times, even put a password on it myself and block out the owner from doing anything (unless the owner presses the reset button), all without physically having to touch the unit.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Humanoid

Her sis might have an old password, or I've had a router tell me the A password is not available for you, use the B password. (odd, but has happened).

So get into the web interface and we'll go from there. ok?

Old 03-07-2012, 04:40 AM
Drama's bitch

You know the saying "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"?

While looking at the router set up page, wireless settings, etc, I somehow managed to disconnect from the internet. Couldn't get it back no matter what I did. Had to reset the router.

Trying to figure out what I'd done, I think I somehow disabled my network security setting, thus my computer wouldn't reconnect to it because it was unsecured and the machine is set up to only use a secure network. Honestly, I shouldn't be allowed near a computer....other than the super easy stuff anyway.

Well, my sister can now access my network and get online, but I don't want to leave it unsecured.

Hope I've provided you all a good LOL for the week...

Old 03-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Area Manager

Ok, all you have to do is secure the router and the network. There should be a page for Security; one setting is to put a password on the network and one should be for a password on the router.

I recommend setting a password on the network first(Authentication type: WPA2-PSK, Encryption type: AES). Create a long password with a combination of uppercase letters, lowercase letters and numbers, then click the on-screen button that says "Save changes" and "Apply", if there is a button for "Apply". When you do this, you'll be disconnected from the network now that there is a password set on it. Search for networks using the windows utility, you should see the network name appear, then you can connect to it and enter the password you created.

Lastly, go back into settings and create a name for the network (a simple name should do, like "DD-WRT" or "MoonCat"), set a password for it so that only you will be able to know this and access the router, then click the on-screen button that says "Save changes" and "Apply", if there is a button for "Apply".
Closed Thread