Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Front End Supervisor

Wouldn't you just love to say ; At your advanced age you should have learned manners by now ;p

Old 04-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Store Manager

Anthelle, what happened was you fell into a selling technique called an "assumed close". It's sometimes used in several industries. "Just sign your name on the dotted line and you'll be all set!" It's effective with some people, but others find it obnoxious and develop an immediate reaction to it. You basically set off one of her red flags and she got angry about it.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Haz Bad Attitude!

You can always say my new favorite line:

"If I could read minds, I'd have a much better job, a lot more money, and wouldn't be here right now."

Old 04-29-2012, 05:58 AM
Cashier

Quote:
Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
Anthelle, what happened was you fell into a selling technique called an "assumed close". It's sometimes used in several industries. "Just sign your name on the dotted line and you'll be all set!" It's effective with some people, but others find it obnoxious and develop an immediate reaction to it. You basically set off one of her red flags and she got angry about it.
I haven't heard this term before but from my recent google-ing I'm not sure that it fits. I could be misunderstanding the term though. The only thing I assumed is that she actually wanted the meal that she had just told me she wanted. Which really isn't an assumption when someone comes up to a counter and says they want this meal.

However, her irritation was with me asking if she would like the dessert. I don't understand how "Would you like one?" assumed anything. Maybe I'm missing something.
Closed Thread