Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sightings

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 12:46 AM
I'm gonna need booze for this

This makes me nervous. The glasses themselves cost more than the exam, even if you choose from the cheaper frames, so I've been thinking about trying one of the online shops. I know you have to measure how they fit in a certain way but the sites explain how to do that, and the online sites have a MUCH larger selection of frames than the shops around here.

But I wonder if they're going to give me a hard time about handing over the scrip once they've finished the exam, because they'll realize I intend to buy the glasses elsewhere.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:05 AM
Area Manager

Quote:
Quoth wagegoth View Post
. Then they would funnel you to the optician who had a section of the office, usually while your eyes were being dilated, to pick out glasses.
If I plan to get glasses at the same place as the exam, I go in at least 15 minutes early, just to look at frames, and pick them out before my exam, while I can still see Started doing that after I got one pair the turned out to look totally different once I could see clearly.

Madness takes it's toll....
Please have exact change ready.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:23 AM
Elective

Quote:
Quoth Shalom View Post
OK, I can see Merriweather's story happening. Lenses are prescription items and in her jurisdiction they might not be allowed to simply copy them (although I have seen this service offered around here).

J2KW's story is more troubling. Frames don't need a prescription, so why couldn't they just install the existing lenses in a new frame? I've had that done; one pair of lenses was actually cut down twice, if I remember correctly.

And what PepperElf is describing is flat out illegal, at least in this state:
i think that's illegal in all states - what they tried doing to mom that is.

and yes, i agree... although it sucks ... they can't refill scripts that are expired. although the expiration date will vary from state to state. navy only required an exam every 2 years tho. but yes, if it had been over 2 years you had to get an exam before you got glasses.

as for frames... eh. depends on what you want. i mean my bf found a site that has frames - even "big name" frames for dirt cheap. normally they sell to opticians but hey they might sell to joe shmos like us too. havent tried it yet tho

Old 04-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Store Manager

Just a quick note, guys, that while the op's mother was definitely in the right about being able to get the prescription, & Jay 2K was in an emergency situation with being out of state & needing the glasses quickly, it really is vital that you get your eyes checked regularly.

Quite apart from avoiding headaches from not being able to see properly, there are various medical conditions, some serious, some just annoying, which can be discovered by an optician who knows what they're doing.

My optician discovered I had a condition called intracranial hypertension (a.k.a. fluid on the brain) which could have left me blind (& had already damaged my lower peripheral vision & my memory by the time it was treated).

A lady who was booked in the same day as me for my brain op had a brain tumour, which was also discovered by her optician.

A few hours & a check-up fee every couple of years is annoying but can make a huge difference in your quality of life.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Tech Support Nazi

Very good point greek_jester I should really get onto getting my latest checkup done

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
What's the difference?
We're allowed to tell you "no".

Old 04-26-2012, 01:58 AM
Den Mother

Quote:
Quoth Merriweather View Post
If I plan to get glasses at the same place as the exam, I go in at least 15 minutes early, just to look at frames, and pick them out before my exam, while I can still see Started doing that after I got one pair the turned out to look totally different once I could see clearly.
That's what I did when I got the pair I'm wearing now and found a couple of pairs that I liked . . .but b/c I didn't have the cash to fork out right then (even with the vision plan it would have still cost me) so I simply took the script and checked out a couple of other places.

Turned out it still would have cost me out of pocket either way. All because a) I have a strong prescription and b) I'm now wearing progressive bifocals.

I ended up going back that December to the same doctor (exam was in April) right before my insurance ran out and, after all the copays and everything STILL spent almost $180 out of pocket.

Which, ironically, was slightly cheaper than Wallyworld . . . they quoted me around $230 after my insurance.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Bagger

Cheapest place (other than some online stores) that I have found for glasses:

http://www.goodwilloptical.com/currentOffers

I am going to get my exam there and try some online place next time.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:36 AM
Autore e lettore di Tarocchi.

Diabetes is a killer on the eyes. In fact, that's one of the ways you might find out you have it.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Elective

Quote:
Quite apart from avoiding headaches from not being able to see properly, there are various medical conditions, some serious, some just annoying, which can be discovered by an optician who knows what they're doing.
That's an excellent point!

As you've found out, a good doctor can see symptoms of some serious medical conditions just from looking at how your eyes react to the exam. a quick google search found this article on just a few examples of what they can find.

Quote:
Diabetes is a killer on the eyes. In fact, that's one of the ways you might find out you have it.
I think that's part of how they figured out Dad had some diabetic issues. In fact when Mom took him off sugar and switched him to splenda he reported that his vision actually got better almost overnight. Not completely cos he still had cataracts but it did improve.

And if you're not careful "killer on the eyes" is an understatement - diabetes can fucking blind you.

to all of you for bringing up a very important topic.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Assistant Manager

Another one in favour of regular checks
I have yearly eye tests as there is a history of glaucoma in the family. This is caused by high pressure in the eye & can also lead to blindness.
I went to the opticians 3 months early this year as I was seeing rainbows around lights, a sign of a bad pressure change in the eye. Luckily, on investigation, my eye pressure was fine but after a few more tests, it turns out I'm developing a nuclear sclerosis in one eye... "a sort of cataract" as the optician put it.

Not much to be done about it at the moment apart from wait & see, my appointments have been changed to 9 monthly, but at least I know why my eyes were feeling weird!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Last edited by Cazzi; 04-30-2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Why do I always spot an error just as I hit post?
Closed Thread