Go Back   Customers Suck! > Community > Off Topic > Life Advice

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Elective

and... although it's too late now for your case, it brings up a good point about smoking...

When mom first smoked she use to have to wash the walls cos she smoked in the house. until she found out it wasn't good for sis & I cos of our allergies / lungs.

when she took up smoking again she chose to only smoke in the garage, car (sometimes), and outside. so inside the house ... it never really stank much.

I mention this because my bf has been in this apartment for 2 years now. the previous tenant was a smoker and - even now - sometimes I can smell it in the bathroom. I think some of the smell is permanently lodged in the carpet & walls. Either that or it's leaking down from the guy above us.

So... the best way to *really* keep smoke smells down is to keep the smoke away from what you want smelling nice in the first place.

for keeping it smelling nice while in storage... you may want to ask your parents to try to move it outside if they'll do it for you. also, consider storing your stuff with fabric softener sheets and the vacuum bags. really make sure they're sealed tight though. i've had some that opened up cos i stuffed them too full. you might want to consider vacuum bags INSIDE another bag or storage container too.

then when you get them home, you might want to try airing the clothes outside if possible. that can really help get rid of funny smells. and of course washing them. (or washing & air-drying if you can)

Last edited by PepperElf; 04-30-2012 at 12:12 PM.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:27 PM
Cashier

I went to Target today and bought 4 large Sterilite storage totes and some industrial-duty lawn bags. I plan on wrapping everything in the lawn bags, using my vacuum cleaner to remove the air and secure with rubber bands, then lock everything up in the plastic totes. I'm adding fabric softener sheets to each bag, as well. Hopefully this will keep everything safe.

We'll be packing this week, moving out Saturday and heading to Maine for a week and a half starting Sunday. Then we fly to China until the first week in June. So we will see what shape everything is in when we get back.

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it!

Quote:
then when you get them home, you might want to try airing the clothes outside if possible. that can really help get rid of funny smells. and of course washing them. (or washing & air-drying if you can)
I'll try to do this as well, it sounds like it would help quite a bit. Thanks!

"When your deepest thoughts are broken, keep on dreaming, boy; when you stop dreaming it's time to die" -- Blind Melon
Closed Thread