Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sickbay

Closed Thread

Psychiatric review
Old 05-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Now part-Koffing! (:DOX)

Default Psychiatric review

So I had a psychiatric review today, because I have been....almost near-constantly hyperactive (fast speech, concentration issues and memory lapses) and it was recommended by my counsellor.

After the session today with the counsellor where I was extremely nervous, I was all over the place. I was nervously laughing one minute and crying the next, more when he mentioned something that struck a chord. He thinks that it MIGHT be what's known as a "mixed state". In layman's terms, if you think of a manic episode as being like chocolate ice cream and a depressive episode like strawberry ice cream, a mixed state would be the chocolate ice cream having strawberry topping on it (or vice versa). He can't put a particular label on it though, because of the mixed state, so it could be bipolar, it could be ADHD, it could be something else.

Basically I have two options: go on DBT (Dialetical Behaviour Therapy) or go on medication to treat the symptoms. So here are my questions:

1) If anyone has been through DBT what should I expect?

2) Can anyone provide a bit more information about ziprasidone or some other bipolar med that starts with a v, valpromate or something like that? I'm really paranoid about weight gain as I'm trying to actually LOSE weight, not gain it.

3) Teachers and teaching students, how can I avoid this affecting me in the long term?

Now responsible for your children

Old 05-03-2012, 03:15 PM
The Right Numpty

I think 'valpromate' may be referring to Sodium Valproate, which is the drug I take for my epilepsy...

Old 05-04-2012, 12:04 AM
Now part-Koffing! (:DOX)

Quote:
Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
I think 'valpromate' may be referring to Sodium Valproate, which is the drug I take for my epilepsy...
A bit of detective work reveals that a number of epilepsy medications are used to treat "mixed states".

I've had a bit more of a look at different medications. And frankly, the side effects scare the absolute crap out of me. I pretty much see food and I put on weight.

But some of the side effects I've been reading up on include drowsiness, anxiety, restlessness and whatnot. The issue is the long-term issues, like the heart and liver problems.

Can anyone recommend other medications for bipolar?

Now responsible for your children

Old 05-04-2012, 12:46 AM
Lantean Moderator

Quote:
Quoth fireheart View Post
Can anyone recommend other medications for bipolar?
Sure....a doctor. But not anyone on CS because this is NOT a medical advice forum.

RIP Plaidman.
Closed Thread