Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Unsupportable > Tech help

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 05:16 AM
Humanoid

Eireann- you could TRY to install that app - you have about 300MB room and the app is around 11MB. If it installs, I'd do a happy dance.

I would then reboot, and get into safe mode (F8!!!!!!). Once in safe mode, back your puter stuff up. Your D: drive stuff, just in case ANYTHING goes wrong. Reboot.

Reboot into safe mode, and run that app to change your partitions.
If this stuff doesn't work, we're going to have to chat about reinstalling EVERYTHING FROM SCRATCH.

Pray, safemode, pray, adjust partitions.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Cashier

Cool

Sorry I'm late to the party...

Eireann, did you get a copy of the UBCD for the memory install issue you had earlier?

If so, then just use that to boot into gPartEdMagic from the menu, and run GPartEd when it gets done booting.

Note: UBCD is an auto-booting CD that bypasses the HD and, therefore, doesn't use (mount) it. Gnome PARTition EDitor can then fold, spindle, or mutilate the drive at your heart's content.

Once launched, GPartEd can "move" the big partition(s) over to cover the unallocated section, then "resize" the smaller partition to fill the space. Instructions and examples are given in the link above. Personally, I'd move the partitions over, then resize the D drive down about 100GB and hand it over to the C drive for some extra "elbow room". This should give the C drive about 300GB, the D drive about 600GB, and the rest for the recovery/system use.

Another useful tool on PartEdMagic is something called "Ghost4Linux". After you get everything set up the way you like it, you can then "Ghost" the drives into "images", and copy them to an external drive (like a Seagate or WD USB travel drive). If something bad happens, you can then boot from the CD and un-Ghost them back to the old (or replacement) HD. It's based on Norton's (Symantec) Ghost utility.

barcode

Really, UBCD is one helluva tool for techs!

Old 05-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Store Manager

Wow!

I've just been perusing the C drive, and I found some programs I'd forgotten I'd installed, and haven't used, so I uninstalled them (one had been installed twice!). I also discovered that iTunes, iPod, and Skype are on C. Is it safe to move them over to D, then delete them from C?

I love what barcode wrote. I'm also hesitant to, well, move outside my comfort zone, especially when it concerns my computer. It looks great; I just wonder if I can move the three abovementioned programs and, thus, create more space on C (where I don't download anything anyway).

Old 05-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Store Manager

Oh, and one other thing - I found, for a VERY low price, firewire hardware and a cable from an IT guy who was cleaning house. I bought it. I installed it. It doesn't work. I discovered I don't even have the driver. I downloaded both drivers from Unibrain, but the higher one (64) isn't high enough. Where can I download the driver for firewire?

Old 05-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Humanoid

Quote:
Quoth Eireann View Post
Wow!

I've just been perusing the C drive, and I found some programs I'd forgotten I'd installed, and haven't used, so I uninstalled them (one had been installed twice!). I also discovered that iTunes, iPod, and Skype are on C. Is it safe to move them over to D, then delete them from C?

I love what barcode wrote. I'm also hesitant to, well, move outside my comfort zone, especially when it concerns my computer. It looks great; I just wonder if I can move the three abovementioned programs and, thus, create more space on C (where I don't download anything anyway).
Good, he's right about UBCD. I've used it before.
If you uninstall those programs, that's great, you CAN install them to the D: drive. Uninstall first on C:. Run CCleaner on C: drive. (frees space) Install to D: drive.
let's focus first on freeing space. If you want to change the partitions, again, back your important stuff up!! Dropbox. Docs.google.com. imgur. To cover your butt, write down the programs that are really important to you on some paper. In case something goes bad, you will know which ones to get again.

Free your space, change the partitions and flip the bird @ your friend who did this.
As for Firewire, aren't you going to the mfg of the hardware for it? Or checking MS?
What all are you connecting via Firewire? (not many laptops have this, it's not as ubiquitous as USB).

Keep us informed!

Old 05-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Store Manager

Oh, here's something.

Last night, I downloaded some video-burning software, so I could make a DVD for a friend. The software didn't impress me. A window popped up telling me something - what, I don't remember now - and I clicked "OK".

The window just kept popping up, again, and again. Finally, I got tired of it, and it was late anyway, so I shut down the computer.

Well. Today, when I turned on the computer, nothing. It turns on, and the lights below the on/off button are green and all that, but the monitor just sits there, screen black. AND, the lights on the keyboard aren't illuminated. AND, I can't turn it off; I have to unplug it. No action whatsoever.

What now?

Old 05-07-2012, 04:28 AM
Humanoid

Ok.
First, check the cable connecting monitor to PC. Are both ends tight? Is the power cord into the monitor tight? Is the video card tight in it's slot in the machine? Is there any "on" light (amber) on the monitor? Off = no light. On but no signal = amber. On and signal = green. If there is nothing going on with the monitor - try a different one.
And double check the power cord to the computer.
Is your keyboard wireless or wired?
First if it's wireless, check the keyboard's batteries. Is the keyboard pod plugged in to the USB port correctly? Ok.
If it's wired, check another USB port. Try a different one, like front. If the keyboard does not light up, swap keyboards.

Try to start up the machine, after figuring ifi it's monitor keyboard or such. Once you get light and keyboard running, start the machine in safe mode. F8 the hell out of it when you boot up.

Uninstall that DVD software. The partition stuff is much more important - you have almost no space in your C; drive, and when that happens, the OS also gets unhappy (needs swap file room) ...Your apps AND the CPU want space in the C: drive.
Once you've got the partition stuff settled, THEN you can do the other stuff.

And why did you install something when you have very very little room on the machine?

Old 05-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Store Manager

When it happened, I checked the monitor connection, the mouse connection, and all other connections. The lights under the on/off button were green. It just wouldn't turn off, and I knew the monitor was working, because I pressed the "Menu" button.

I talked to one of the guys living in this house, and it turns out that he does know a few things about computers. We plugged in the computer and he took a look at all the connections, then suggested I might need a VGA card - which he just happened to have! He got it, we installed it, we plugged in and turned on the computer, and it all worked!

This is an old card, so the graphics aren't up to dealing with everything about the system I'm running - the image isn't full-frame - but for now, it's just fine with me.

When I download a program, I always save it to D. Does this have any effect on C?

Old 05-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Humanoid

The video card was a thought I hadn't posted. Derp.
Yeah the video card isn't all up to par, but you're getting somewhere.

As for the install; yes and no. You installed to D:, that saves a lot of space on the C: drive. And I know you've freed up other space by uninstalling apps and stuff.
But- swap file lesson - when a computer is running, it uses RAM, right? We all know this. Well, sometimes an app is kind of "paused" but not really being used, like you've stopped writing on Word while you go play Solitaire and check email etc. Word's UP but not doing anything. And so, adding all those apps, active and paused - the RAM is full. So you start typing up on Word again, but the other apps are still there, paused (solitaire, email, all the other stuff). Word needs more RAM space, but shit, RAM's full.
Swap file - physical space on a hard drive for RAM space. RAM's full, it needs a bit more "space" to do it's job for you. So it uses a bit of hard drive. It'll park the "paused" apps there, since you're running actively.
Swap file - space needed by RAM. Drive too full or fragged or just f'in slow hardware - will slow you down.

Again. Partitions are pretty important here. Is it possible you can get on ANOTHER pc while you're doing a partition and hook up with one of us here, on Skype or such?

We can go look around for vid cards later.

Oh. And the reason I said monitor/keyboard? Physical stuff first. Check plugs, check batteries, check under the desk..etc.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Store Manager

Well, I've succeeded in freeing a few GB of space on the C drive, without compromising anything. It turned out that I had video files waiting to be burned, and, well...

Yeah.

The C drive looks happy now; I think I even heard it sigh with relief. It's still important for me to create more space for it to breathe. I'm not sure if I can Skype on another computer - I do have an ancient (by computer terms) laptop, but when I tried using it the other day, something was up with it, too. It told me to press F1 or F2, but nothing happened when I did.
Closed Thread