This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Is this the entrance to..?"

I am an art student/ rookie professional artist, and these few rays of sunshine are from when I worked at a theme park doing Caricature Sketches.

An average day involved a lot of me standing around in my "clownsuit", the hideous uniform. Now, that thing is twice as ghastly as the park's regular employee uniform, because "Company-I-Worked-For's not really part of the park. My company is a mere concessionaire and, as such, does not deserve to wear humanizing uniforms.

The uniform involves at least three different very bright colors as well as huge 80's pants. You know, the "business/polo pants" that are "dressy casual" with tapering legs, wiiiiide hips, and a teeny waist? Oh and the kicker, they have pleats in the front, too.
    Now, I may be 38", 26", 38" figure, but those things have way too much hip room and not enough waist room for even me. I finally traded 'em in at Wardrobe for some huge ones so I could belt them and still breathe- I just rolled up the cuffs so they didn't drag.

I have routinely had park Guests ask me, "Do you work here?" See above description of what I was wearing.
    It's all I can to keep myself from answering the way I did mentally- A few times I know I musta just peeled my biggest grin and said it right to them- "No Sir, but these are my very favorite colors, I just love wearing 'em Sir."

One of the little art booths I rotated schedules to man was right next to the entrance to the Park's Most Popular Ride. Said entrance, picture it if you will, is almost fifty feet of huge hedgework neatly trimmed, with a thirty foot gate in the center, and beside it three foot red letters proclaiming, "Park's Most Popular Ride".

Now, the art booths I worked at also functioned as information booths, because since we were there, we had to know. Nevermind that we were not Park employees; Location is the thing, y'know.
    Normally I am only to happy to help people out with odd questions or even normal ones- gives one the warmfuzzies- but one time I just could not help myself.

A lady approached me, glancing back over her shoulder at the stymied family group who seemed to have elected this woman their spokesperson.

I smiled and chirped, "Can I help you Ma'am?"

She waved at the aforemention shrubbery, gate and proud red letters. "Can you tell me- Is this the entrance to the 'Park's Most Popular Ride'?"

I blinked, rocked back on my heels, looked at the woman, then at the gate with its lettering, then back at the woman, and with all the sincere gravity I could muster replied, " You know, Ma'am, from here I.. really can't tell."

And she wandered away.

I'm going to Hell.
    "Respect: to admit that something one may not enjoy or prefer might still have great value." ~L. Munoa

I like it
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

Comment

Working...
    X