This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-Chicago Illinois

* No, we're not all hicks, we're not all NRA members, and we don't all drawl.
    * Yes, we've all been to Chicago. No, we haven't all met Michael Jordan.
    * The "s" is goddam silent.
    * Many of us are neither Cubs fans nor Sox fans. A large section of the state contains many Cardinals fans. Many of the rest of us don't honestly care about baseball. Really. No, many of us will not "die of happiness" if the Cubs win a World Series.
    * No, it's not all corn.
    * But no, not all of us are farmers or live on farms.
    * Yes, we have radio stations that don't play country music.

And yes, there are two seasons--winter and construction.
    Enjoy my latest stupid quest for immortality. http://1001plus.blogspot.com/

Comment

Adelaide, South Australia

-We have less, not more, murders per person than the other cities in the world. It's just that we get the weird ones.
      -There are things to do here other than murder people.
      -Even when it's not Mad March (when there are 6364834287655 arts festivals and a motor race)
      -The statue of Colonel Light (Adelaide's founder) is not in the place where he designed the city.
      -The balls are not a serious arts piece, despite that being the artist's intention.
      -The Rundle Lantern is not that great, really.

Comment

On the shores of Lake Michigan in Cheeselandialand:

They say "cooler near the lake" for a reason.

When in Milwaukee, stay away from the lakefront when it rains. (This is because the sewer system can't handle even a modest rainfall, and when that happens the sewage treatment plant starts dumping poo-poo and pee-pee into the lake without treating it. )

We'll never forget you, number 4, Brent.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
          For my home state, Arkansas:
          I have an aunt (by marriage) from Arkansas; my dad calls her a High Class Hillbilly

Some fun facts about New Jersey:

Bruce Springsteen is from Freehold, not Rumson!

The first brewery in America opened in Hoboken in 1642.

The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are both located in New Jersey.

Both the New York Giants and New York Jets play in North Jersey

Streets in the game Monopoly are named for real streets in Atlantic City

Though called "the Garden State," New Jersey is the only state where all of its counties are classified as metropolitan areas.

New Jersey has more racehorses than Kentucky but also more cars and the nation's densest system of highways and railroads.

Nearly 80 per cent of all American imports come through Elizabeth, the nation's largest seaport.

The state has the most diners in the world and the most shopping malls in one area (seven major malls in a radius of 25 square miles)

Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, movie projector, and phonograph (record player) in his Menlo Park laboratory.

Other NJ firsts: first radio station, AM broadcast, and FM broadcast; first airmail service, first underwater tunnel, first medical center, first college football game, and first drive-in movie theater.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
            Adelaide, South Australia

-We have less, not more, murders per person than the other cities in the world. It's just that we get the weird ones.
            -There are things to do here other than murder people.
            -Even when it's not Mad March (when there are 6364834287655 arts festivals and a motor race)
            -The statue of Colonel Light (Adelaide's founder) is not in the place where he designed the city.
            -The balls are not a serious arts piece, despite that being the artist's intention.
            -The Rundle Lantern is not that great, really.
            Do I need to bring up that ad again?

A few from my area:

-No, Woodcroft is not named after the sorcerer (read Philosopher's Stone (Sorcerer's Stone for the US folk) in the scene where Harry has all the choccie frogs) it is named after a farming couple.
            -No, we do not live on farms there either.
            -We aren't all bogans.
            -We do know how to dress.
            -We also know how to practice safe sex.

-There is more to do at the Royal Adelaide Show than get drunk off your face and spew buckets all over the rides. (seriously)
            -The Tour Down Under is not nearly as exciting as it sounds. Rather, it just creates traffic hazards. (for the unfamiliar, the TDU is a bike race that runs through Adelaide around January...starts up north, goes through the city and ends up in our wine district)
            -The wine district is not nearly as interesting as it seems.
            -The balls are not serious, and neither are the pigs for that matter.
            -A shopping mall used to have a small theme park on the fourth and fifth floors. They are gone.
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Mike Taylor View Post
              2. It contributed a LOT to the history of rock 'n' roll (Ray Charles, Little Richard, the B-52s and the Allman Brothers Band to name a few).

Black Crowes, September Hase, R.E.M., Atlanta Rhythm Section, Widespread Panic, Indigo Girls.

And I'm given to understand that ska is very popular again down there?

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                They say "cooler near the lake" for a reason.
                Yes. Yes they do.

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                Milwaukee, ...can't handle even a modest rainfall, and when that happens the sewage treatment plant starts dumping into the lake without treating it.
                ....to waft and float sedately south and ruin the beaches in Chicago.

Comment

Quoth Toujin View Post
                  *Unless you have a superhuman constitution, don't swim in the ocean without a wetsuit. You'll find that it's unbelievably cold!
                  I live in the North Atlantic and start swimming in June. So do you think I'd be okay wetsuitless in NoCal in July?

Nova Scotia Canada=
                  - Nova Scotia has the most crime per capita in Canada. So Yes, it is more dangerous to walk to street's of Halifax at night than Toronto.
                  -We don't say thing pronounce about Aboot. In fact, I pronounce it it aboat. It's called an accent, get used to it
                  -The weather really can change drastically in 5 minutes
                  -Always have equal amounts of warm and light clothing. The temperature can jump from 7C to 28C in a day. Also, it gets cold at night. (No one every listen to that one)
                  -The stores close at 5 on Sunday. A few years ago Sunday shopping was illegal
                  -- On Cape Breton Island= You may have to drive an hour or two to find a grocery store. All this untouch nature means very little Super Markets
                  - There is only one movie theatre on CB
                  Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                  Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Wyoming...
                    1. There are NO beaches in Cheyenne.
                    2. We do drive cars, not horses everywhere.
                    3. We are a state! Not located in a different state(one guy actually asked my little sister what state Wyoming is in).
                    4. Our two seasons are wind and winter.
                    5. Those tiny deer-looking things are antelope.
                    6. No I do NOT know where Matthew Sheppard was found tied up. I know the general area but I'm not about to fulfill your sick desire to go looking. I did not know Matthew but I did go to school with the guys who did it. A forever black mark on my town and I get tired of travellers asking me.
                    "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                      -A shopping mall used to have a small theme park on the fourth and fifth floors. They are gone.
                      It's now a gym, although I've heard the roller coaster is still there.

Comment

Detroit.

- We have the chair Lincoln was sitting in when he was assassinated at the Henry Ford museum.

- We also have the Kennedy limousine at the Henry Ford museum.

- The bus Rosa Parks was sitting in too.

- You won't get hurt if you set foot in Detroit. Like any city you be careful.

- You are no more than six miles away from a lake. This is true for the entire state of Michigan.

- We've contributed a lot to the music scene. Not just Motown either.
                        The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                          I miss Dazzle Land.

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                          It's now a gym, although I've heard the roller coaster is still there.
                          I think the tracks are fairly structural and they'd have to shut down the whole place to get them out.
                          If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                            Reno
                            -prostitution, is in fact, not legal.
                            For that, you have to go south into Nye County.

From my time working at the RAC at Stapleton Airport (~15 years ago...)

Yes, it really is THAT FAR from Colorado to LA. It WILL take you more than a day or two to drive the route you've planned out (usually out through Salt Lake City, Reno, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Vegas and back to Denver...

Yes, I live in Colorado and I'm not a donkey, er Bronco's fan.

Yes, I live in Colorado and I do not, nor have I ever skied. I leave the breaking of bones to the tourists...

Eric the Grey
                            In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Nope, you can't buy beer at a convenience store in this Commonwealth, or at a grocery store, or at a gas station, nope, I'm not lying.

The Amish are completely aware of modern technology and history, they just choose not to partake. You can buy a Mt. Dew from them just as easily as you can from the aformentioned beerless convenience stores and they'll take credit.

You try and guess the state, I think it's pretty obvious.
                              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                                3 seasons - Winter, Mud, and Construction
                                In upstate NY we get an entire four seasons: Almost Winter, Winter, Is it still Winter?, and Roadwork.

In Philly I think of the seasons as: Warm and muddy, Sweet mercy it's hot, Warm and less muddy, and Where's the frakking snow?
                                The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Working...
                                X