Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Similar thing happened in my city when the first Sonic location opened a few years ago. For about two solid months there was over an HOUR wait.... for Drive-Trough! The line for Drive-IN may have been worse, but I don't recall. For those outside the US, Sonic is a recreation of the old-fashioned American Drive In. You would park your car, and an employee would come out to your car on roller skates to deliver your food on a tray you would attach to your driver's door.

I admit, after seeing their commercials on TBS for 4 years prior to them actually being within 200 miles of me, I really wanted to go there.

But, when I actually had the food.... Blah. Shakes are really good, but the burgers are just, meh. Now, there are a couple more locations an town and none of them are ever really jam-packed.

Comment

Quoth Moon View Post
      Similar thing happened in my city when the first Sonic location opened a few years ago.
      Same thing when one opened here in Jersey. They had to have the police direct traffic, as it was located on a very busy highway. For about a week! I think the newness quickly wore off, but I concur, wasn't all that impressed with it.
      Last edited by EricKei; 07-23-2014, 09:22 PM. Reason: Trimmed quote

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
        Next time I'm at the AF Museum, might have to check that out...
        They're very non-nondescript, and easy to miss even when you've been there before. The donuts are rather good, even if they don't do anything as wild as Voodoo (which I like too, but Portland's a bit of a drive for a donut ).

Frankly, I was shocked anyone on a national level even knew the place existed!

PS: Grab a Marion's pizza while you're here too. One of the best thin-crust pizza's I've ever had. Its even good cold. I think they lace their sausage with crack.
        Last edited by Geek King; 07-23-2014, 06:24 PM.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          The first guy gets free donuts for a year and diabetes for the rest of his life?
          Nah, the diabetes is just the icing on the cake donut

Quoth Geek King View Post
          I've never understood the KK infatuation.
          Quoth sms001 View Post
          As a former Mr. Donut baker, I'd say they are superb, FRESH.
          THIS. A thousand times this. When the boss brings in some KK for the office (WHY?! There are two local places that make them so much better!), I ask how long they've been there. An hour or more? Pass. Not worth it.

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
          When they started opening 5 Guys burgers in my area...
          supposed to be getting them soon.

Quoth Moon View Post
          Similar thing happened in my city when the first Sonic location opened a few years ago.
          I like their burgers. At the very least, when they do the burgers RIGHT (which is most of the time), they're a major improvement over Clownburgers, Red-head burgers, and Royales >_> That, and, I would kill for one of their Cokes (or Dr Peppers! -- no, not "Cherry Coke." Ew.) laced with so much "cherry" syrup that the drink comes out more red than not...
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

The word "Free" stimulates that part of the reptilian brain and causes all higher functions to temporarily cease until the free item has been obtained, FOR FREE, it's not important what it is, or even IF you want it, the fact is, you got it for FREE while everyone else HAD TO PAY which makes you superior! People will line up for hours, DAYS even to get a chance at the FREE!!!!

I'll bet you could even cause this behavior with a sign reading

" FREE AMPUTATIONS "
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
              The word "Free" stimulates that part of the reptilian brain and causes all higher functions to temporarily cease until the free item has been obtained, FOR FREE, it's not important what it is, or even IF you want it, the fact is, you got it for FREE while everyone else HAD TO PAY which makes you superior!
              Yep. Main example of this : My husband. Will get up early ( a no no for him), will spend ages trying to get it, or will spend more money trying to *use* it (if its not food) than buying a proper one would have cost in the first place.

Its like when I stepped back from a "charity" gig that we did hundreds of hours of work for each year. It worked out at like 50p an hour but because you got the "free" event ticket that was worth so much and me stepping back (because they seriously insulted me and the work we were doing) was the worst thing EVER! Insult and hurt the wife all you like if you give him a "free" ticket in the process....
              I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                The word "Free" stimulates that part of the reptilian brain ...
                Our area is doing a tax FREE weekend right now...I am staying far, far away from any store where that is applicable. I've been warned that some places around here have Black Friday-esque horror stories as a result of it... Especially because it doesn't apply to everything; mostly to school supplies (but not bookbags), etc.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post

PS: Grab a Marion's pizza while you're here too. One of the best thin-crust pizza's I've ever had. Its even good cold. I think they lace their sausage with crack.
                  This. Very much this.

Comment

i like the KK plain rings, but the filled or chocolate iced are a bit too much for me, and i'm known for liking the sweet stuff... and the plain rings are amazing when fresh and warm

that said,. this story reminds me of when a White Castle opened in Succasunna NJ (nearest WC being an hour or so away, in much more urban areas, Succasunna was very suburban) hour+ waits at the double drive through and a line out the door for the first 2 weeks or so... half hour waits (or more) for the next month or so after that.

guess people really needed to feed the crave or something... XD

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
                      I see this all the time whenever something new opens in my area that we don't have. Store, restaurants etc. I always wait until the hubbub has died down. I'm not going to die if I don't get in on the first day. I hate crowds too, so its better for me anyway.
                      Same here. I hate crowds.

I hate to think what it will be like if my town gets a Trader Joe's. There's been a big fuss because local homeowners have been blocking rezoning of a lot they wanted to use to build one.

Quoth fireheart View Post
                      And it got better....

The council in that area has racked up $21,000 in parking fines from the first week ALONE. Normally their take-in is MUCH lower than that.
                      Good for them! Let's hope they don't blow it

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      Our area is doing a tax FREE weekend right now...I am staying far, far away from any store where that is applicable. I've been warned that some places around here have Black Friday-esque horror stories as a result of it... Especially because it doesn't apply to everything; mostly to school supplies (but not bookbags), etc.
                      North Carolina ditched that as of last year You could get some good deals, especially if you were buying a big ticket item. But it was a mad house.
                      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Donut? What's a donut?

*Runs downstairs screaming*
                        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post

I hate to think what it will be like if my town gets a Trader Joe's.
                          Years ago, when our town got one I stayed away for a long time. It's STILL a mad house. And there is absolutely no reason for it to be! It's a hippie town! There are two co-op locations, and at least 2-3 other large natural/local grocery stores. I mean, I'll hit TJ's sometimes, but there's only a couple things that only they carry.

I can't take it when my town gets all excited over a new "thing." When we got this new grocery store (it is the only large store in town which doesn't accept credit cards because of the fee) everyone was over the moon... It's not that great. Some things are cheaper, and some are more, so unless you plan on visiting several grocery stores, you won't really save much if anything. Again, I do shop for bulk food there. It has far and away most selection, but I'm not worshiping at it's alter like some people!
                          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

In the nearest town to me, anything new opening gets slammed the first month. One particular opening was when the Crowned Burger opened up and during that first month, everything that could go wrong did. Not only was it slammed with impatient idiots, the staff was new, dealing with new appliances in a new building. Everything, that could go wrong (except the place burning down) did. They ran out of stuff, because it's a small town and who knew that there were THAT many people in the town?! They got orders wrong, not because they were incompetent, but because they were NEW and slammed. Then their register/order system died for a bit. Drink machines both in the lobby and in the drive through broke.

I got all this second hand, because I wisely chose not to go during the first month. I'd hate for Chick-fil-a to open up in this town... I imagine it would be much, much, much, worse.
                            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                              I got all this second hand, because I wisely chose not to go during the first month. I'd hate for Chick-fil-a to open up in this town... I imagine it would be much, much, much, worse.
                              Yes, but if Chick-Fil-A did open in your town, everyone would be there, and you would have a month in which the Crowned Burger would not be crowded.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                                Donut? What's a donut?

*Runs downstairs screaming*
                                [mouth full] Duh nut tehll meh how tu eaht doahnutz... [starts choking]

Comment

Working...
                                X