This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh I am dying here...

I spent the day with my brother's daughters. He has a 3 year old and twin 16 month old girls. Great kids all around. Me and my brother made gumbo and he is an awesome cook (I tend to suck at anything without close supervision).

Getting the stuff, we took the oldest to the grocery store that just opened up down the road. Its a pretty cool place that lets you try a lot of stuff before you buy. So we let Lily, the oldest pick the sausage. I should point out that even though we are in MD, the girls were born in Texas. This is the only explanation I have for what occurred.

I start cooking the sausage when I notice my eyes are watering like crazy. I get done cooking it and slice it up. I grab a piece and pop it in my mouth. Good lord...

Now I got a pretty good stomach. Outside of crazy Thai food, I can handle pretty much anything...but this kicked my butt. Gasping for water, I tell my brother that we got a problem. He tries a piece and his face turns red. Well Lily starts tugging on my leg, wanting to try a piece. We figure that the store, when letting her try different things, obviously gave us the wrong sausage cause there is no way in hell a 3 year picked out the hottest sausage I have ever eaten. Well she won't take no for an answer. So my brother gets a big glass of milk ready and I give her a piece. Then another...and another. She is popping these things away like they are candy. All she kept saying was that she liked it.

We make the gumbo and pretty much other than my brother, me, and Lily, no one else can even take a spoonful. Again, we didn't mean to make it hot at all and as soon as we noticed the sausage was brutal, we tried to neuter it as much as possible. Pretty much the grandparents were stuck eating rice and chicken that we made on the fly after realizing the Gumbo was now 5 alarm. Me and my brother are killing the water just trying to keep up with the 3 year old. Well now the twins are clambering to try the gumbo. My brother's wife is dead set against it, but the Lily ended up sneaking them a spoonful of it onto their high chairs while mom was in the kitchen and everyone was distracted talking...

They eat it likes it nothing. Mom comes back, freaks out and starts wiping up their high chairs and the twins freak. They end up eating more of the gumbo than anything else. They went bonkers for it.

As I type this, I am about halfway through a bottle of pepto and after talking to my brother, he is in the same shape. The kids? For the first time in months, all three of them are sleeping fine. I guess all it took was insanely hot food.
    "Beatings will continue until morale improves!"

Eating like birds... birds can't feel the burn of capsaicin.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Sounds like good sausage. Think they have a hotter one for adults?
      I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

I so want some right now.

Sockpuppet

Comment

Any idea what the sausage was? Or was it a specialty of that store?
          I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Send the leftovers this way!

Please post the brand of the sausage.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

It ain't gonna hurt 'em,ancient Indian (New World) kids ate chiles from the time they were born.
              "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

I agree. It sounds awesome. What cute kids, also.
                "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

That sounds a lot like an incident while growing up.
                  Dad likes spicy food and mom had picked up some jalepeno peppers from the store and mixed them with some that were grown in the garden. Dad tries one of the homegrown peppers and face instantly turns red.
                  A friend of mine who also likes spicy food was over and tried a piece cut from a homegrown pepper and a piece from a store bought pepper (eaten together), and immediately made a serious dent in the amount of milk in the house.

I picked up a random pepper, chewed away happily and commented that it was crunchy, while grabbing some more peppers to quickly follow the first.

Everyone else:

I don't get what the fuss was about, they were very crunchy, I found them rather bland tasting, and not a lick of heat to any of the ones that I ate.

Comment

Here is a little boy that likes hot things.
                    http://tmi-comic.com/2011/09/04/tmi-kids-hot-linked/
                    http://tmi-comic.com/2011/09/11/tmi-...lt-and-pepper/
                    "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

lol. Well kids are different than adults. There's a reason most kids go straight for sweets and stuff, because their taste buds are physically different from an adults. Weird isn't it.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        Eating like birds... birds can't feel the burn of capsaicin.
                        A few years back, I saw some "squirrel proof" bird seed - it had been sprayed with hot pepper, which the birds can't taste/feel but the squirrels (being mammals) can.

Also, when a friend's previous dog was a puppy, it had an "interesting" bad habit (coprophagia). They were treating it with tablets of (don't know how it was done) hot pepper that was somehow buffered so a dog wouldn't taste/feel it the first time around, but the spices would hit hard if it ate the "recycled" food.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                        X