This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ereader advice...

so I've gotten to the point where I'm literally wearing out my books so badly they can't hardly stay together any more...and my friend just showed me her nook that she bought off of a friend, while also informing me that our local library has a program that you can download books for up to 21 days to the nook and switch them out as need be.

I'm interested in buying one...but know nothing about them, anyone wanna give advice on this being a good or bad thing? I'm an avid reader and love reading, mostly in bed though. so i need something that can be read from a mostly reclined position with just a single bedside lamp.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

I ADORE my Kindle. And I discovered that I make the Kindle font larger than most paperbacks' font size, and the reading is easier on my eyes.

I have no comment on Kindle vs Nook vs any other ereader out there - my only experience is the Kindle. But Kindle vs paperback/hardback? Kindle!
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I'm currently in the process of purging my physical library of about half its contents. My Nook (xmas present to self) is why. Love mine. A whole library that fits in my purse!

Comment

guess I'm also lookng at price range....theres probably over 200 books I'd REALLY like to have permantant copies of that won't fall apart...

i know it would take some serious digging to find all the books I want and I'm ok with this.
        It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

I have a Sony Reader, an Android phone, and an HP tablet.

On the phone I run Kobo and Kindle, plus a couple of other reader apps.

I really like the tablet reading experience. If I was to buy an reader today I would get the new Amazon Kindle tablet. Since it runs Android you will be able to run other reader apps too. If not now, as soon as someone jailbreaks it.The kindle app is pretty good, and you can side-load non-DRM books.
          There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

I'd definitely recommend a Kindle. They have a huuuuge variety of books, plus the ability to get independent author's stories as well.

I am still sorta against converting all of my library. I still purchase books, but I also purchase digital copies of some of my books that are just about irreplaceable. (Still waiting for the Dragonheart novella to become an ebook, don't feel like replacing it again, as I've already worn out three copies)

On the one hand, I love ebooks, as its very convenient to be able to bring so many on one little item, but it also frustrates the snot out of me that I'm having to rebuy every single book I already own. I almost wish there was a program where I could show that I already own it, and get a digital copy for free. -.-
            By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

I would love something like that, I own 5-6000 books I am not going to rebuy every single one for my ebook reader, aside from anything a lot of them will not be available. I have a sony ereader and like it also I have an ipad and itouch with ibooks on them, so I can have 4 different books on the go
              Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

I have a sony ebook reader and absolutely love it. The screen is just like reading normal paper, and when I'm tired, I can make the font bigger so it's easier. The screen isn't backlight and I find it much easier on my eyes then a computer/notebook/tablet/phone/ipod screen. My only complaint with it is that I keep forgetting to charge it up when I run the battery down.

For ebook management, I have found Calibre to be invaluable. It easily converts from one ebook format to another as well as a host of other options. [Linky]

Comment

I say get a nook!!! (I'm not biased or anything...)

Unfortunately I don't own one, and I was out of the store long before they came out, so I can't give any practical advice, but the nook Color has email and apps and all kinds of stuff, and the Simple Touch has good reviews as far as I've seen for a reasonable price if you don't want as many bells and whistles.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I just bought my 74 yr old mother,who really doesn't like her computer (nice laptop my brothers & me bought for her),a Kindle & she absolutely loves it.

I'm ambivalent about getting one myself,I see the convenience & ease of getting books when you live in a small town like ours & they can be a lot cheaper.

On the other hand I worry about durability,I can drop a book on concrete,no big deal,but a plastic e-reader I'd worry about. Of course enough water'll ruin a book,but I can't count how many coffee & booze stained books I still have,how much moisture'll ruin the electronics?

On the gripping hand a book'll never lose power when you're in a tent way up in the mountains.
                    Also if you have to start a signal fire a book'd be better than a hunk of plastic
                    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

I have an old school Nook. If I had to do it again, I'd get a base model Kindle as Amazon has more, cheaper ebooks (but only slightly). I'm not unhappy with my Nook though, so it's not like I'd advise against it. I personally would not go with the android based mini-tablets like Nook color, since I have a snazzy phone to fulfill most of my needs and you can't read those in the sun and that's pretty important for me since I read a lot on the bus.

I still buy a lot of paper books since used ones are cheaper than e books and my library isn't too awesome with available e books.

Comment

I love my Kindle. I find it easier on the eyes than a back lit screen, although when I'm out & about I generally use a kindle reader on my Android. I also like the way I can change text size etc.
                        I'm currently working on renewing myself with old favourites on it, plus there are so many free books you can get for it, Amazon has a constantly changing list of freebies from both new and old authors plus there are various websites such as Project Gutenberg which have many old classics free for download.

I have a running joke with a man at the gym I go to, if I see him in the coffee bar, he waves a book at me saying "I'm still old school" to which my reply is, yep, but I've got my entire library with me in case I get bored
                        Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

I am completely biased towards the Kindle, as I love mine, and everyone I know who owns one loves it, too. That being said, my older sister has a Nook, and she loves it just about as much as I love my Kindle.

My suggestion: do a lot of research, and find the one that is right for YOU.

Quoth Frantic Freddie View Post
                          On the gripping hand a book'll never lose power when you're in a tent way up in the mountains.
                          To be perfectly fair, it takes a long time for an ereader to run its battery down. I could have gone on my trip to Arizona and left the Kindle charger behind, and read the entire time I was out there, and still had plenty of power left. I took the charger, but that is pretty much due to my innate paranoia; i.e., I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I don't agree with the advertisement that the Kindle can go a month between charging (not if you're actually using it), but it can go a damn long time.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

My reader is an Aluratek Libre. Pretty basic reader that you drag and drop files from the computer onto - no wifi or Internet, and no games or such. It has a mp3 player, but I've never used it so I don't know how good it is. The pros are that it was relatively cheap ( at least a year or two ago when I bought it), has card reader, no backlight and reads all my formats.

Also - I heartily second the recommendation for Calibre. Makes organizing so much easier, and has a format converter so you can read your books regardless of which machine you buy.

Comment

I love my NOOK. I chose not to get a Kindle as I despise Amazon, and the people who kept pushing a Kindle in my face. It's a personal thing. I wanted eink and no backlight, NOOK has that.

Comment

Working...
                              X