This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotel People, to me, if you could

Ok, so....not easy to say this, but my grandmother's cancer has returned, and has spread to multiple organs. We are going to attempt to rush to NC this weekend to try and see her before....well...I mean, there's a slim chance she'll pull through, but not looking good.

So anyways, I called up the only hotel in the area today, and they're pricing at $69 a night....I hate to be that person, but any penny saved at this point would make a huge difference. Is there any advice on possible asking them politely for a discount? Would it be best to do that in person, when checking in? Or should I call back and just ask? I don't want to be an SC, but it would help.

I'm sorry for this, just....in a daze, and trying to make rush plans as fast as possible.

I'm just praying we can do this, and that our car will make it.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Hey Seraph. Sorry to hear about your grandmother. It's rough, I know.

If none of the hoteltrons get to this on time, I'd suggest calling them back, inquiring about rates, and then explaining very briefly why you'll be traveling and asking if they discount that sort of thing. Haggling to be cheap, or to a frontliner with no power to bargain is bad, but hotels DO have variable rates, and this is an honest, legitimate reason, so I see no suck involved.

Good luck and hang tough.

Comment

No advice, but *hugs* anyhow.
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Sorry to hear about you grandmother.

AAA if you got it.

Good luck.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
          Sorry to hear about you grandmother.

AAA if you got it.

Good luck.
          ...We don't. ><

Thank you all as well, I do appreciate the advice and the hugs.

Comment

I would simply explain the circumstances briefly, without SC hysterics of course, and then ask what is the cheapest rate you could get, are there any discounts you might qualify for, etc. And I've always had better luck when I could speak to someone at the desk of that particular hotel, not an 800 number that covers all hotels in the chain.

So sorry about your grandmother, things like that never get easier to cope with. Hugs.

Madness takes it's toll....
            Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I believe it's called a Bereavement Rate.

I would suggest calling and asking if they have such a rate available, and verifying that you indeed got that rate when you check in. It doesn't hurt to ask ahead of time. Also some third-party booking companies also offer them.

When my dad's brother passed away, my sister made the travel arrangements and was able to get bereavement rates at the hotel for 2 rooms.

Comment

I know we offer a discount for people who have family at the local hospital, but not all hotels do.

You could also check the online E-tailers. They are a PITA for us, but sometimes they have rates that are lower than the hotels offer over the phone.

Sometimes, the hotel clerk has the ability to offer a further discount, but I wouldn't count on it.

Bereavement rates are going the way of the airlines bereavement discounts. Not many hotels are offering them. If you can sweet talk the desk clerk, maybe they can bring the rate down further than AAA's 10% (15%-20%, if you are lucky).

You can also try http://www.hotelcoupons.com/
                However, those are generally for Walk Ins only, and you have to take your chances on room availability. Also, if the hotel is busy, they may not be accepting the coupon.

Hope this helps, and you at least get to see your grandma before she passes.

SC
                "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Appreciate that a ton, BroFish.

We're hearing back tomorrow if we can go visit her this weekend...if they give us the go-ahead, I'll be sure to use everyone's advice, and just ask.

Comment

The worst thing they can do is say "no", so asking never hurts. Well, unless you get that one front desk clerk on the line who's been asked every hour of everyday for the past 20 years and finally snaps, takes down your information, and becomes your personal stalker making sure to call you up every night at 3 am from a different phone and breathe at you, asking if you can give him a discount, from now until either you or he dies.

Aside from that, though, it never hurts.

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
                      The worst thing they can do is say "no", so asking never hurts. Well, unless you get that one front desk clerk on the line who's been asked every hour of everyday for the past 20 years and finally snaps, takes down your information, and becomes your personal stalker making sure to call you up every night at 3 am from a different phone and breathe at you, asking if you can give him a discount, from now until either you or he dies.

Aside from that, though, it never hurts.
                      ...and you know....that WOULD happen to me.

Comment

Well, if it does, you could offer him a discount on web design for a site, and actually make him pay to call you at 3am?

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
                          Well, if it does, you could offer him a discount on web design for a site, and actually make him pay to call you at 3am?
                          ...I...I...I really can't even respond to that. <.<

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
                            Well, unless you get that one front desk clerk on the line who's been asked every hour of everyday for the past 20 years and finally snaps, takes down your information, and becomes your personal stalker making sure to call you up every night at 3 am from a different phone and breathe at you, asking if you can give him a discount, from now until either you or he dies.
                            Peds, you know if that happens, she's gonna blame you now, right.

SC
                            "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Definitely check all the online sites. I have had great luck with hotels.com, but also check out expedia, priceline, travelocity, hotwire, orbitz, etc. You might not find anything cheaper, but it will only cost you a few minutes, and you won't feel like you are bothering anyone.

If that doesn't work, as everyone else said, it never hurts to ask. Remember, if you are being polite and not acting like an entitled jackass hopped up on ten espressos, people tend to be nicer and more willing to do things for you.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X