Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > General Work Chat

Old 11-04-2019, 02:45 PM
Parking Attendant

According to one of my co-workers, the 2 baggers/courtesy clerks who are currently cashiering, are supposed to receive the hourly rate of a cashier in 2 months.

But with all the cost cutting measures currently happening, I wonder if that will happen.

Would any of you wait 2 months to receive the pay raise you are supposed to get if you were either one of them?

Old 11-04-2019, 07:57 PM
Loanshark IT

That would depend on the financial situation I am in. It is easy to say that I would not accept that in my current situation. However, I remember the BS that I put up with because I could not afford to walk away.

On the plus side for them, they can now put "cashier" on their resume. It has probably opened them up to additional hours also.

So yeah, I could see that, and I would want it in writing.

Old 11-05-2019, 03:07 PM
Highly Trained Professional

If you're overall a pretty good employee and management is basically decent, of course there's always a few that make things miserable, I'd say just go in try your best and forget about it at the end of the day.

And keep looking for a new job. I think that it's probably a given to any prospective employer that you're not happy with your current job and that's why you're looking. Better hours and more opportunities are perfectly valid reasons to move on. Good luck with the job hunt.

Old 11-05-2019, 03:34 PM
Seasonal Tax Preparer

Quote:
Quoth snugglegirl05 View Post
I am currently looking for a new job. Do I still need to give my employer my 2 weeks notice once I get a new job?
There are strong arguments either way.
Ifwhen the store goes under they will give you less notice also, when you give a notice they will easily make that the longest fortnight of your life. Come to think of it, one sucky ex-supervisor treated me even worse (he already treated me like dirt) when he found out that I was interviewing elsewhere.
OTOH, bolting immediately might not look good to the new employer.

Who is John Galt?
-Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Last edited by taxguykarl; 11-05-2019 at 09:53 PM.

Old 11-15-2019, 03:22 PM
Deluxe Lackey

Quote:
Quoth snugglegirl05 View Post
I am currently looking for a new job. Do I still need to give my employer my 2 weeks notice once I get a new job?
My brother has a standard policy on this: if an employer asks at hiring that he gives two-weeks notice if quitting, he says "will you give me two weeks notice if you decide to fire me?"
In most cases the answer to that is "no", and they totally understand that his answer is the same.

It is part of his broader policy of reciprocal behavior. For example, if he needs a day off he may say so at any time before the relevant schedule is posted: you get the same warning that I am unavailable that you give me that I am expected to work.

I do not have the same policies, but I also recognize that my desire to "go along" often results in my being taken advantage of, and I aspire to the fairness of his policies.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:47 PM
Bagger

No one has ever asked me how much notice I'll give if I quit. I have heard employers comment that if an employed person says he/she can start immediately, that's a signal they'll give no notice to their next employer, too.