This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, Maybe in YOUR Little World

This is probably a sucky customer but he made us laugh so I'm not sure it counts.

I can't go into too much detail but suffice it to say I'm in Collections.

Today I received my first Cease and Desist letter from someone we'd been calling. This is not a letter from an attorney (even though this is LAST stage collections) this is a letter from the customer who states that we need to stop calling him because--among other things--he didn't give us permission to "trespass" on his privacy.

Secondly, we can't collect from him because he has renounced his American Citizenship and moved to another country. Too bad, so sad.

Problem is, this new country is a self-made sovereign nation in the middle of Montana.

The cease and desist letter was 27 pages long and included such gems as a pledge of allegiance to this new country, documentation certifying that he was, in fact a citizen of this new country. Documents, letters and affidavits (all made by him) giving up insurance ( I guess since it was only valid in the U.S.?) and any benefits he could receive by being a citizen of the U.S. Also included was a copy of his contract where he had cut and pasted lines pertaining to Montana and replaced them with the name of his new country. There was even a document changing his name so that supposedly he wasn't the person who signed the contract--nice try, moron. He even had invented a new way of measuring time which (conveniently) made it so he was NOT overdue but still had plenty of time to pay.

Seriously, if the guy had spent half as much time--oh, I don't know--at a real job making actual money maybe he could have afforded to pay us.
    Last edited by flybye023; 09-12-2008, 03:06 AM.
    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Quoth flybye023 View Post
    This is probably a sucky customer but he made us laugh so I'm not sure it counts.

Today I received my first Cease and Desist letter from someone we'd been calling. This is not a letter from an attorney (even though this is LAST stage collections) this is a letter from the customer who states that we need to stop calling him because--among other things--he didn't give us permission to "trespass" on his privacy.

Secondly, we can't collect from him because he has renounced his American Citizenship and moved to another country. Too bad, so sad.

Problem is, this new country is a self-made sovereign nation in the middle of Montana.

The cease and desist letter was 27 pages long and included such gems as a pledge of allegiance to this new country, documentation certifying that he was, in fact a citizen of this new country. Documents, letters and affidavits (all made by him) giving up insurance ( I guess since it was only valid in the U.S.?) and any benefits he could receive by being a citizen of the U.S. Also included was a copy of his contract where he had cut and pasted lines pertaining to Montana and replaced them with the name of his new country. There was even a document changing his name so that supposedly he wasn't the person who signed the contract--nice try, moron. He even had invented a new way of measuring time which (conveniently) made it so he was NOT overdue but still had plenty of time to pay.

Seriously, if the guy had spent half as much time--oh, I don't know--at a real job making actual money maybe he could have afforded to pay us.
    Actually, it is legal to form your own country (Some sort of UN agreement which the US signed). I did it, and issued a drivers licence to myself. Of course, I have an ontario one for when I'm outside my house, but thats a different story. Of course, he is still responsible for his debts in the USA.
    Otaku

Comment

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is hilarious....that man wins the darwin award....btw what was the name of the "country"

Comment

Quoth flybye023 View Post

Reminds me of the episode of Family Guy where Peter makes his own "country" Petoria.
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
          Reminds me of the episode of Family Guy where Peter makes his own "country" Petoria.
          What is it with people wanting to create their own countries anyway?????
          Honestly, if you're THAT desperate to chase off debts, just fake your own death

Having said that... *hums the Petoria rap*
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

A good friend of mine used to work in the mailroom of the state department that processed child support payments. One particular "payment" also included a lengthy blow-by-blow (sorry, no pun intended....really ) of how he shouldn't have to pay support because his ex was a cheating ho and he went into great detail of what a wretched evil harbringer of doom this woman was along with her many "exploits". He included cutouts from magazines to provide examples of her so-called whorish atire and wrote multiple pages full of name-calling and vileness to show his absolute loathing for his ex.

And used this as the reason for demanding not to pay child support.

Yeah, uh-huh.

Sooo...he either 1) Didn't realise that the only people reading his diatribe were some overworked, understaffed, bored mailroom employees who found his pointless vile ranting immensely funny (really, who would expect anyone in power would end up with his letter. Their office only processed payments. Only. That's it. Now special magical powers to change state law, I'm afraid) or 2) Really needed to vent (even if creepily) and was smart enough to realise that above-mentioned employees would take no action whereas, say, mailing this little love letter to a judge maaaay be bad.

Just a little too much time on the hands, that's all.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I used to work for a collection agency as well, though not doing actual collections. I was part of the support staff.

Anyway, one time a lawyer (or so he said) sent us a very large packet of papers stating that his name is copyrighted and every time we use it, we had to pay him $500.00.

Comment

Yeah... if he's a lawyer, why is it so easy to look something like this up?

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/fa...ect.html#title

I mean, seriously...

Comment

Quoth prb View Post
                  Actually, it is legal to form your own country
                  Yeah, but for this to work, you start wandering into teh hall of international law, which is a fun pace! And frankly, IIRC, you have to have other countries take you seriously so you can become a real little country, and I suspect he skipped this step.

I have to admit, the idea of a self-issued license gives a body a hope for a decent pic....

Comment

Oh, my.

Problems with authority...a rambling manifesto...self-sequestered in Montana?

UNAbomber much?

Comment

Quoth prb View Post
                      Actually, it is legal to form your own country (Some sort of UN agreement which the US signed).
                      *wince* That's actually fiction. No such agreement has been signed.
                      While you are able to claim sovereignty as a microstate, it's all fantasy until such time as a) you have land that has gone unclaimed by another sovereign entity and b) you are recognized as a state by at least one other country and/or the United Nations.

Comment

Working...
                      X