Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is where you "forget" to remove or demagnetize anti-theft tags, if they are buying anything that has such a tag on it.

Hopefully the detector at the door going off will shake them back into reality.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
      I have an answer to that. I carry one of these with me everywhere I go.

Whenever I have someone who can't @#$%ing unplug from their phone I do it for them.

Mongo
      That's cruel. That's mean. That's awful.

*I love it!

*Now, I'm NOT saying that's the "right" thing to do. I'm just saying it would make me feel good inside if that happened and an obnoxious cellphone user was getting on my nerves.

Comment

I fully admit I have been at a store and gotten a call from Mom or Dad/ aka the bosses, or my sister who has 3 kids and only calls if there is a problem.
        I will look at the clerk and say "let me make sure this isn't urgent"
        I answer the phone "I am at a store checking out . .. do you need me now or may I call back?"
        9 times out of 10 I able to call back.
        the other time . . .they need something from the store . . .or I had to leave store and meet family at hospital. (Niece fell backward off one step up onto marble floor)
        I also apologize a second time to the clerk.
        If it isn't one of those numbers - I don't answer it. . . I say to the clerk "They can just leave a message and I will call them when I am not busy."

Comment

Mobile Madness

Thankfully, my retail days have passed, but I had some cellphone encounters (I've related these in the past but they bear a quick recap...).

The most memorable was the one lady who was obviously a therapist of some sort who was on the phone with a client and relaying just ALL of his or her business to anyone within earshot. Granted, I would obviously never know who the person on the other end was, but it was just crazy unprofessional.

Then I had another lady who came in to shop one day and she was on her phone the entire time. Not unusual in and of itself, but she came back later that same day to retrieve a bag of stuff she left (wonder why?), and she was - you guessed it - still on the phone.

But I had one lady whose phone rang while she was checking out and she was WAY overly apologetic about having to answer it. I could tell she was mortified and I silently wondered why everyone can't be just half that considerate. I reassured her that it wasn't a big deal and I was glad that she at least acknowledged my presence.

I wish I had the gall to actually do this, but I have such an urge sometimes to go up to people as they're discussing for anyone to hear what should be private matters on their phone and say, "Excuse me, but I couldn't help but overhear what you just said about John! Did he really do that?! And Mary just let him get away with it?"
          Imagine the look.
          Last edited by Demonoid Phenomenon; 03-19-2008, 04:54 PM. Reason: removed duplicate word
          ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

If I get a call or can't get off I'll put the person on hold.

The only time it was a problem was at a car lot when the salesman had walked away. My grandmother called (which is rare) so I answered it. It was then the salesman decided he had to come back and talk to me more.

That pissed me off, because 1. we were done, and 2. he could see I was on the phone and rather than wait, leave, or hand my wife his card since that's all he wanted, he had to interrupt me.

The card was torn up and I haven't been back.

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
              I have an answer to that. I carry one of these with me everywhere I go.

Whenever I have someone who can't @#$%ing unplug from their phone I do it for them.

Mongo
              Wow! I definitely have to get me one of those. Would come in pretty handy practically everywhere I go, being the grocery store, toy store, even restaurants.

Comment

This subject always hits a nerve in all of us, I think. My bank has a sign over the teller's window that says "Please end all cellular phone conversations before approaching the teller." One time, a woman's turn came, and she approached the teller while still yakking away, and put her papers in front of the teller. The teller just sat there behind the desk, staring at her. Finally, the woman said, "Oh, hold on a minute", then said to the teller, "Well, why aren't you helping me?" The teller then pointed to the sign over this woman's head, and the woman started getting red, saying "I'll call you back." Not one more word was exchanged, except "Have a nice day" from the teller.

Comment

I don't mind someone answering a call at the till if it's something important, like sick kids, but it rarely is; they just answer their phone saying, "Yeah, I'm in *supermarket*, yeah got that... blah blah"; in other words, a call that can easily wait til they're done.
                  People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

I hate it when I am trying to help a SC make a special order. I have to ask questions like size, flavor frosting, writing (for cakes) or other info for platters. If they insist on talking on the phone while I try to ask them questions I will just stand their and wait for them. It was the managers Idea so nay complaints that may result get tossed.

Comment

I think most people have come to rely on cellphones a little too much ... ever remember the times when they were heavy, clunky things that were really expensive? Or how about a time when cellphones didn't really exist at all....

Granted, cellphones are great for emergencies and to keep you in touch with family (for those who are perhaps a little too difficult to get a hold of). But, some people end up abusing the privilege, holding conversations at the worst of times. You'd think there would be some etiquette rules for cellphones .... But then again, I guess SCs and etiquette don't really go hand in hand ...
                      This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

I used to get those at my old job. They'd pull up to the speaker, and proceed to read the entire menu to the person on the other end of the phone, as a line of cars began to snake around the building.
                        ...and then go through it again, because the person on the other end wants to argue over what prices or choices are on the menu... or they're arguing over something completely irrelevant and just happen to be sitting at the speaker blocking everyone else and letting those of us with headsets hear the whole thing....
                        Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Hi Everyone! I am a long time lurker on this board, but after reading this post I just had to reply. As someone who has been in retail for 12 years, this is one of my major pet peeves.

I am currently a cashier at a sporting goods store. A woman comes through my line yakking away on her phone. She hands me a football themed baby outfit. As it was still on the hanger I assumed she was purchasing it. I ring it up, printed gift receipts (better safe than sorry) and gave her her total. She pauses her "important" conversation long enough to tell me that it was a return and shoves an original receipt (not a gift receipt, that's important) at me. Um, ok. Might have been nice to know that at the start.

So, I call the FES over to void the sale transaction and begin to process the return. Keep in mind, she's still on the phone. I ask her if she has the Visa the item was purchased with as I will need it to refund the transaction. Once again, she pauses her conversation to tell me that it was a gift.

Keep in mind, every time she spoke to me her tone of voice was very much "how dumb are you, why don't you know this stuff already".

I process the return on a gift card, ask for her signature, and plan on getting her out of my line ASAP. At that point she finally says, "Look at me talking on the phone and not paying any attention to you." My response-"Its not my money, it doesn't matter to me how you get it back." She left, but still had never gotten off the phone!!!!

Bottom line--If you admit that you are being rude, but don't actually stop the rude behavior, don't expect me to be impressed.

Comment

Whenever a client of mine pulls out the phone to make a call/answer it and I still need their attention, I just walk off. I go and catch to my colleagues or say hi to my supervisor.
                            -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
                            -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

SEe If I am on the phone, or get a call at a register... I'll answer, but only to say

"Hey, hold on one second". I then put the phone in my pocket, complete the transaction, and then just pick the phone back up on my way out the door.

Don't even need to hang up on em.
                              <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Sometimes I won't ring people up who are just standing at the register with their purchase while they're on the phone. It's just too rude... I mean, I'm not a human being or anything! No need to actually talk to the person who's helping you!

If they start complaining I just say, "I'm sorry, I didn't want to interrupt you!" And how can they complain about that?

Comment

Working...
                                X