This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein I Face The Curtain Call

Hello, I'm Gravekeeper! You may remember me from such threads as "Wait, how many hats?" and "My god how did you manage to dial and breath at the same time". But today I'm here to talk to about something else: Myself.

You've likely noticed my long term absence this year. With sightings of my presence being akin to a rare, white elk. You may even have vaguely recalled something about me hurting my back. Well, there's much more to it than that and its pretty much just been one long, arduous journey of misery. I don't tend to talk about myself too much on here, so this will be one big confession of sorts. If only because it will help me somewhat to write it all out.

As you may recall, I was injured way way back in Dec/Jan in what seemed to be just more back problems. I was pretty much bed ridden for two weeks and slept, well, never for the most part due to the pain and discomfort. As it turned out I had severe repeatitive stress injuries to my back and hips from work. To the point where even standing for long periods was painful and walking was pretty horrific. I also developed a severe anxiety order as a result.

It took 4 months of intensive physiotherapy to get me on a relatively even keel again. Though even after that I still only got around 3ish hours of standing/being on my feet before the pain in my hips would drive me to sit. I was told it would likely take anywhere of 4-8 months more of exercise to correct that ( GTPS is a bitch ).

Over those 4 months they were also treating the anxiety disorder, fairly successfully. Although it took a looong time to get out of that dark tunnel. My GAD manifests itself very very physically instead of as a mental panic. My muscles tense up, I get spasms, anything in my stomach is coming right back out again, etc etc. So any given episode of it would come with 2-3 days of fall out due to muscle pain and exhaustion and what not.

Then I returned to work in a limited capacity. This proved to be one of the greatest mistakes of my life it turns out. My anxiety disorder is tied entirely to my job on a subconscious level. So the effect on my health as immediate. I tried to work limited shifts, without much luck. I began working only a scant few hours a day. Still to no avail. I could do less and less of my physiotherapy until the muscle tension prevented it entirely. I was sick to my stomach pretty much all the time. They sent me to an occupational therapist, to little avail.

So after 2 months of being back at work I had all but ground to a halt physically and mentally. With the final blow coming last weekend when I went in to see my doc again to discuss medication. During that appointment they gave me a physical once over and realized I had lost well over 20 pounds in about 6 weeks. When I left work in Jan/Feb, I was 190. When I returned to work, I was 185. After being back at work for just under 2 months, I was 162. For reference, I am about 6'2. So this means I am nothing but sticks and ribs.

At that point I was informed in no uncertain terms that I could not return to my job and chances are I should never work in this industry again. My 10 years in the industry entertaining some of the most delightful clientele to walk the Earth literally broke me. I cannot do that job anymore. Not unless I want it to slowly kill me.

So I cannot return to work and will likely have to resign shortly. Even now that I'm technically free of it, the GAD has had me shut down completely all this week. They prescribed me anti-depressants, but they take weeks to kick in. So I have little option at the moment but t just suffer and ride it out for a while. It doesn't listen to reason of course. No matter how much I tell it everything is perfectly fine, it insists on finding something to obsess over.

This is not exactly how I envisioned my curtain call upon leaving this industry or the end to my various tales on here. I had hoped for a grand finale, not a slow petering death over the course of 7 months. I have enough material left for one more post, and will likely write it up once I feel half way funny again. But, for now, this is the official end of my livery on here.

I will continue to hang out of course. But being medically forbidden from returning to the industry really puts a crimper on my source material. So, I hope at least that I gave everyone a few chuckles of the years and thank you for your readership. Being free from the industry also means I am free from my NDA security agreements. So hopefully I can bring my wits elsewhere to my own website or similar endeavour. But that will be a while down the road after I regain some semblance of my former self.

So, goodnight and good luck. GK out. For real this time.
    Last edited by Gravekeeper; 07-13-2013, 01:17 AM.

Aww. While I will miss reading about your crazy customers, you need to do what's good for you. I hope you start to feel better soon, and also hope you find a job that won't be so detrimental to your health. Take care of yourself and get better!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Have your superiors taken this well? IE are you leaving on a good note with them?

And I do hope you stay well. Mentally damaged by your job...eek!
      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
        Have your superiors taken this well? IE are you leaving on a good note with them?
        Yes, they've taken everything well.

Comment

That's good, at least you have had it easy from them.
          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Your health matters first, besides we can all read your older stories, get better.
            Frying pans! Who knew, right?

Comment

Sending huge hugs and good thoughts towards a job that gets you back to being the awesomeness that you are!!!
              Today was going to be just one of those days...you know, full of zombies.

Comment

We'll always have your archives, man. ^_^ I can assure you, they have brought many a laugh to countless members of this board, and will do so for years to come!

Get yourself healthy..er. Nothing else matters as much as that.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

*hugs* Good heavens, I hope you start to get better soon!
                  "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

It always sucks when one's health means that one can't do the things one used to do. I know this just from watching my Mom, with her mobility and other health issues getting more and more pronounced with every year.

Take care of yourself, GK, and I hope your health gets better.

Have you ever thought of turning your obvious writing wit to profit?
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

GK, I can honestly say that I've gotten so much enjoyment and laughs from your posts, sometimes they were the only thing that could get me into a good mood. I can understand job stress, NO job is worth killing yourself over. Do what you have to do to get better. Heck, you can still post sightings if you have them - the train alone is probably an endless source of "wtf"? But whether or not you post, I'm sure you'll always be welcome to hang out here.

Good luck and be sure to stop in to say hello when you feel up to it!
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Hey, don't give up hope. Whatever job you get in the future might have good source material.

Sorry to hear you've been so miserable, but do what you need to do to get well. Balled up in pain and puking your guts out is no way to live.

Take care of yourself, Gravekeeper. We'll see you around.
                        "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Please take care of yourself, GK. I thoroughly enjoyed your posts and your biting humor, but your health is more important than any of that. Hope you feel better soon.

Comment

A small part of me is bummed that there will be no more GK posts.
                            Another small part of me shrugs, since it became resigned to that fact months ago.

The vast majority of me looks at those two parts and says, "Shut the fuck up, you insensitive pricks," then drop kicks both of them into next week's dumpster.

Seriously, Grave, do what is best for you, whatever that is. Sure, we'll all miss your stories. They're fucking hilarious. Epic, even. But as much as so many of us looked forward to them, our entertainment is dwarfed by your need to get better, to get healthy, to get your life back in gear and gets you working in an industry that doesn't make you lock yourself in your basement, cackling madly as you devise various nefarious ways to torture the denizens of Nunavut by depriving them of all their hats.

I can't pretend to understand what you've gone through, so I won't. (I will tell you, however, that it is probably in your best interests to NOT go into bartending.) I can tell you that there are plenty of people here who care a great deal about you, and not just as the source for their weekly chuckle. Your personality shines through your posts, and people who have never met you recognize your sincerity, your kindness, and yes, your famed wit. So I have to believe that there are also a great many people who are more directly involved in your life that care even more about you and your well-being. This is the time for you to lean on them, to let them know you need their support, now more than ever.

And damn it, get better, inside and out.

As for your source material? Bitch, please. The world is your source material. You find eye-rolling humor and sardonic contempt in the general human condition. Some of your funniest tales had nothing whatsoever to do with work, but just seeing people be their own stupid, mindless, idiotic, talentless, self-deluded selves. So if you want to continue posting stories in here, from whatever your next job is to just bopping around your city, don't feel as if you don't have source material. You do. People like you always do.

Likewise, if you don't feel like posting such stories, or it's not conducive to your health, don't feel as if you are in some way you are obligated to us. You're not. Anyone who says otherwise has the brain of a gnat's hemorrhoid.

And all bullshit aside, if you ever need to talk, about your situation, life in general, how best to phrase a cynical observation, the best way to boobytrap dictator's toilets, or the price of china in Teaneck, don't hesitate to pm, text, or call me. My door's always open. (Mostly because my roommates forgot to close it yet AGAIN.)

If you ever need to chat or just have someone listen to you vent, let me know.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

Everything I might say, has been said. *hugs* Seriously guy, your health comes first. I for one like our discussions, as you not only have wit and humor..but you also are intelligent and knowledgeable. You don't pull facts from your behind, or use your opinion as fact. That is rare. Anyhow enough of my rambling. Get better, and do what you must.
                              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X