Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was always amused at seeing the signs for Hazardville while driving from my parents' house in NY back to New Haven.

Out here in western NY, Hubby and I make jokes about not seeing Covert every time we pass through it. That, or how they're not doing a very good job of living up to their name.
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Speaking of hidden things...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/21...e.html?image=1
      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
        *sigh* Here we go. (Not all of them are naughty. Some are just - strange.) In Australia we have:
        There's a road about halfway between my SO's house and mine that says "Woolly Butt Road." Dad joked that he'd steal the sign.

As for weird place names, this is from my state (SA) alone:

-Auburn
        -Balaklava
        -Bordertown (ironically this is NOWHERE near any of the borders around SA)
        -Bruce
        -Butler
        -Coffin bay
        -Corny Point
        -Cudlee Creek
        -Currency Creek
        -Dublin (yes, this exists. It does not have a link to its Irish counterpart though )
        -Eudunda (say it out loud slowly....)
        -Geranium
        -Iron Knob
        -Ki Ki
        -Kimba
        -Laura
        -Lipson
        -Lock
        -Peake
        -Venus Bay
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
          -Bruce
          What's wrong with Bruce? Plenty of excellent people are called Bruce! I happen to be one of them!
          "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
            What's wrong with Bruce? Plenty of excellent people are called Bruce! I happen to be one of them!
            Just weird that there's a town named after it.
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

At work last week, I edited a piece of coastline just south of Peterhead in Scotland. There was a little named sea cave...

'Fleshiewall Cave'

Sounds delightful! Also people name their farms odd names too; I was working on the Lincolnshire broads which does not have a single contour line within five square kilometres, and one of the farms here was called 'Little in Sight' XD

There's a folder at work with lots of rude names cut out and kept for the lulz. ^^ I'll see if I can raid it...
              "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                So this week on my work travels,I have had the joy of passing through Dog Village, Westward Ho! and Wobbly Wheel.
                Other exciting place names close to my home village so far are
                Sticker,He Was Water,London Apprentice,Indian Queens,Come to Good and the Lizard,
                Harrowbarrow and Wishing Well.
                And visiting one of my friends,in her village there is the delightfully named street of Titty Ho!

Share your bizarre place names with us
                Have you been travelling through Cornwall (England) by any chance?

Comment

Up the road from me is the infamous No Name Key.

Back home in Arizona, we have lots of fun place names, including the town of Nowhere, which I've been known to go on a mind-bending rant about.

Also in AZ, we have the town of Ajo, which if you know your Spanish you will know that they named a town Garlic!

Then there's Crown King, Bumblebee, Valentine (tiny town in the middle of nowhere, though not Nowhere, whose post office does a booming business every February), and of course, Table Mesa. Once again, if you know your Spanish, you'll realize that they named the town the same thing twice! (Did the same thing with Picacho Peak.)

Then there's Miami, AZ. Other than the name, it has absolutely nothing in common with it's Florida counterpart. It's actually a mining town in the mountains, right near Globe, which is an absolutely horrible place that no one should ever go to, and the only reason to deal with it at all is to go through it on your way to the White Mountains, which are AWESOME. Right near Globe and Miami is Superior, which isn't.

The most famous weird place name in AZ is, of course, Tombstone.

Surprised no one has yet mentioned Hell, Michigan.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

Surprised no one has yet mentioned Hell, Michigan.
                    I was about to mention Hell in Grand Cayman. I didnt go, but I picked up a shot glass when I was close by.

Comment

My dad grew up near a tiny community called Matilda's Folly, although most people just deferred to the bigger community -- a veritable metropolitan hub -- of Big Willow. My mother, meanwhile, grew up in the Point Lookout community across the county, on the side of Sugarloaf Mountain. Just uphill from where she grew up was a cave called Devil's Smokehouse, and you'd have to pass by her old house if you wanted to visit World's Edge.
                      Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth jennie View Post
                        Have you been travelling through Cornwall (England) by any chance?
                        Damn...discovered. Grew up in Cornwall,now live in Devon. Born in NZ and we had some fun tonguetwisting names there. Try Whakarewarewa three times very fast. Or Maunganui,Ohauiti,Rotoroa,Papamoa,Kerikeri,Whakata ne...
                        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

A road trip in Massachusetts: Entering Marion NSFW!
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I used to live near Cheesequake Park.

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                            Intercourse, PA near Paradise, Blue Ball and Bird in Hand. Gotta love the Amish.
                            I went to college out there. There were pictures of all those places on the cafeteria walls.
                            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                              A road trip in Massachusetts: Entering Marion NSFW!
                              There is a Marion in the next county over from me. My friends and I tried, years ago, to rewrite that song with place names from our state.
                              Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post
                                My mother, meanwhile, grew up in the Point Lookout community across the county, on the side of Sugarloaf Mountain.
                                We have a Sugarloaf here with some decent hiking. There's a smaller hill next to it called Sugar Cube.
                                Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Working...
                                X