This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thirty years ago today...

...There was a horrible incident that took place in our town.

A warehouse worker was lifting an illegal, 500 lb. propane tank with a forklift. The tank fell, and began to leak. The fire dept. was called. Just after they showed up, a woodstove burning in the same building caused the propane to explode.

The results: A leveled city block, five firefighters and two nearby civilians dead. Buildings damaged on surrounding blocks, including some a half mile away.

We heard the blast at my old house. Had no idea what it was. Went outside to look around and saw a huge black column of smoke. I thought it was a few blocks away, but it was actually downtown, five miles from our house.

The blast threw a firetruck 30 ft. One firefighter was literally lifted out of his boots. Others were trapped in their damaged truck. Five of the men died and others were very badly injured. The civilians were in a house that caught fire. The man died there, his mother a few days later in the hospital.

It's an event that people living here have never forgotten.

Any firefighters on this site, whether "official" or volunteer: You're all pros to me. Thank you for what you do to save lives and property. I could never do what you do.
    Stay safe.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

This incident happened in my city, nearly 19 years ago. It was Arson.

There's a Memorial Sculpture in honor of the four Fallen Firefighters.

It turns out the Arsonist was the son of the building's owner. He fled to Rio, and our City had a tough time extraditing him.

There's more info out there, if anyone wants to know more. Just Google The first name "Martin", along with the last name of the warehouse owner, who is named in the linked article.

Mike
    Meow.........

Comment

Quoth JustaCashier View Post

There's a Memorial Sculpture in honor of the four Fallen Firefighters.

It turns out the Arsonist was the son of the building's owner. He fled to Rio, and our City had a tough time extraditing him.

There's more info out there, if anyone wants to know more. Just Google The first name "Martin", along with the last name of the warehouse owner, who is named in the linked article.

Mike
      My City too. And I remember this. I was so pissed when it was released that it was the son of the owner.

Comment

I remember that event, MoonCat. There's a lot of firefighters in my wife's family. She told me that the faily was at her grandmother's house for a late Christmas gathering when it happened. They heard the blast, and then at least a dozen pagers went off. She said it's the only time she ever saw her father break down and cry.
        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Shpepper View Post
          I was so pissed when it was released that it was the son of the owner.

Yeah, and the fact that he was so arrogant.

I have no doubt that his parents were decent people, but his whole attitude reeked of "spoiled rich kid"...

Mike
          Meow.........

Comment

Quoth JustaCashier View Post

Mike
            God, what a DICK!

Six months ago, this guy got busted for trying to set up an identity theft scheme as a "nest egg" for when he gets out of prison.

His intended victims? The witnesses against him in his murder trial.

This guy hasn't learned a thing.
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
            X