Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also hated it when I wore a nametag and customers would address me by my name. I just didn't like strangers knowing my name, and I think nametags are STUPID. I mean, people don't walk around on the street with their names pinned to their chests. I'm a very private person, probably to a fault. I'm the kind of person who, when reading a book in public, will take pains not to let anyone see the cover because I don't want anyone to know what I'm reading.

So I didn't like the fact that right off the bat, customers would know way more about me than I did about them - they knew what I did for a living, and what my name was. I didn't know anything about them. So I felt like I was at a disadvantage. (I realize that may sound crazy). And when they actually used my name it infuriated me because I couldn't stand them knowing my name in the first place.

Comment

Quoth Anthony K. S. View Post

Like many people who work in retail, I hate it when customers read my nametag and call me by my first name.
      what would you prefer they call you? I've read so many posts on here complaining that the SCs don't view us as human, but when someone actually bothers to learn your name you complain about that too? most employers will let you put a nickname on your name tag if you don't want customers to know your real name. It's also smart as a customer to learn people's names, because the SCs do have to work somewhere, and if they know the person knows who to complain about they will be less likely to suck. it also, in my opinion shows that they believe we're human, as we have names

EDIT:I see you already answered that, to each his(or her) own
      But I hate it even more when they call me names like "dear," "honey," or "sweetie."
      that is really annoying, but most of the time I've gotten it from elderly people who've been calling everyone that their whole life, and there is no changing the elderly. if someone is doing condescendingly/sarcastically that's a different story, if they're young, they need to realize you call people by their name, sir, or ma'am if you aren't friends
      Last edited by AKWalMartCartGuy; 05-20-2008, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Quoth Emrld View Post
        Ok- I did ask for clarification, on how to address in some fashion.
        You did ask what an employee would prefer to be called, if not by his/her first name.

In my case . . . Actually, my last post, more or less, was my answer - Nothing.

There are things that I don't particularly mind being called, such as "sir," although some people do dislike being called that, too.

But, as a general rule, I prefer that strangers not call me anything at all. Just, as you described it, "jump right into converstaion do business and walk away." Just get it done.

It's not part of my job to interact with the customers any more than that . . . And, in fact, in my experience, it can actually be detrimental to providing good service.

My store, like most retail stores, is typically short-staffed. That's the norm in this business. For that reason, spending more time than is necessary with one customer will either mean that (1) other customers won't get the help they need or (2) you will increase the burden on your co-workers to pick up the slack.

It also takes time away from such tasks as stocking shelves, straightening sections, etc. . . . Which makes it that much harder for customers and co-workers to find what they're looking for.

There are actually a fair number of people in the world who don't like socializing with strangers . . . Myself, I'm not interested in "human contact" when dealing with customers. And even if I was, I would still see fit to sacrifice that for the sake of getting as much work done (helping as many customers as possible and getting the floor in proper condition) as I can in the time I have.

Quoth Emrld View Post
        Addressing a person by using their proper name . . .or what they like to be called is a way to show respect to the other person. It shows that you recognize that they are a human and an equal.
        I would think that just being polite to somebody would accomplish that.

Now, as to why retail store employees don't like being addressed by their first names . . . People have different reasons for that.

I myself have what I think is a very common reason . . . It implies a familiarity that doesn't exist. And I generally find that uninvited familiarity, from a stranger, to be intrusive and unwelcome.

People don't normally address each other by their first names in formal settings, after all. You would only do that after you've at least gotten to know somebody a little.

Now, you may ask . . . "How do you expect customers to 'at least get to know you a little' when you've already stated that you don't interact with customers beyond just getting the business at hand done?"

The answer is . . . I don't expect them to. When I'm at work, my priority has to be to get my job done, which means helping as many customers as possible as quickly as possible, and still leave enough time to get my tasks on the floor completed.

Often, that means I won't have time to interact with customers, even if I wanted to (which I really don't). That's life. Sometimes, you have to sacrifice a few things to get what's really important done.
        “Excuse me. Is this bracelet real jade?”
        “Ma’am, this is a thrift shop. The tag on the bracelet says $1.50. It comes with a matching mood ring. What do you think?”
        “I don’t know.”
        “Yes, it’s real.”

Comment

If I ever end up having to wear a nametag to work again, I'm making one that says "hey you!"

OT:
          Quoth Anthony K. S. View Post
          Customer : I'm looking for a book called [Insert Title].
          I'm going to write a book called Insert Title now. Under the psudonym "Guy Whowrites".

Comment

I don't like people calling me by my first name as it suggests familiarity that doesn't exist. I also hate sleazy guys calling me pet names.

However, a lot of old dears will call me pet, duck, love or dear; I don't mind that. Sometimes, it's a Yorkshire thing and in any case, they are not doing it to be condescending or rude. Not like old, sleazy guys staring at my chest and calling me love... ew. X_x
            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

I'm kind of a hypocrite or an ageist when it comes to terms of endearment...

Old women and those gentlemanly type old men can call me whatever they want....because I know a lot of elderly people use those terms and they mean no harm.

Now, sleaze bags and scummy older guys...no. Not when a guy would walk into the gas station, look me up and down, lick his lips, and then proceed to call me "honey". No. Even younger guys....the sleezeballs.....no. Just don't call me that.

Or when Daddy DipShit called me "honey". He didn't mean it to be cute or polite. He was using it in a condensending tone to put me in my "place", just like he probably has been trying to do with women for years.

It all depends on the context, I guess...
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I get "sweetie" a lot at my job. I think it's because most people have a hard time remembering my name (it's one of the more common female names). At least it's better (to me) to be called "Sweetie" then to be called "Juno" (like the movie. In the past two weeks, some two dozen people have told me I look like the girl that plays Juno. I know that, stop telling me this!).
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

It has always creeped me out a little when strangers use my name. Half the time I'd just forget that I'd actually put my name tag on that day.
                  The other half of the time some creey middle-aged guy would lean in close to my chest and squint at my badge, just to make sure I knew he was reading my name. Then they would use it repeatedly in conversation, like they wanted some kind of reward for making the effort.
                  Some of the girls there would switch name tags, just to keep it interesting.

Comment

It still confuses me when someone uses my first name (then I usually do the name badge). I get a lot of "My love" from women, but it's common here and I don't think on it.

Sweetheart and honey grate on me (with one exception) and sweetie's pushing it either way I'm not going to say anything, I can ignore most things with a smile.
                    "So you think they named this ship the "Chimera" because there's a monster on board?" Tony DiNozzo

"They did not name it the puppy" Ziva David - NCIS, Chimera

Comment

I'm pretty much asocial. I like connecting with people, but I don't like forced connections. So I hate wearing nametags. If I have to, I will do my damnedest to have it show only my last name, much as my uniform did in the Air Force.
                      The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                        If I ever end up having to wear a nametag to work again, I'm making one that says "hey you!"

OT:

I'm going to write a book called Insert Title now. Under the psudonym "Guy Whowrites".
                        I'm going to demand a nametag that states "Mutt."

Oh, now I also demand that someone write a book called "That Book" with the pseudonym "Some Author" just so I can walk into a bookstore and ask for That Book by Some Author.
                        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

such as "sir," although some people do dislike being called that, too.
                          If a man objects to be called "sir", too bad for him. Too bad for the whiny puke. "Oh, WAH, someone is trying to show me a little respect, I hate that."
                          "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

I dislike it when customers address me by my first name. Oddly enough, I don't mind when people call me "sweetie", "sugar", etc. ("Baby" is a little iffy)

I think it's because my friends and family address me by my first name, whereas nobody close to me really uses those pet names. Also, it is pretty obvious that most of the customers who call me by pet names talk to everybody that way.
                            The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Gah. It's rare that I will put up with being addressed as 'honey' or the like. I had a flight attendant do that to me once because I was a teen, and it really annoyed the heck out of me.

One of my coworkers was having a disagreement with someone over the phone. Well, actually, the guy on the phone was trying to lie his way into getting an unrealistic price on something, and he made the mistake of calling her honey. She gave him what-for ("I ain't your honey!") and then hung up on him. She had a faxed order from him about an hour later.

As for the whole using a person's name because it's on their name-tag, I find it kind of creepy, myself.

After all, aside from getting a person's attention, or making introductions, how often do you actually use other people's names in conversation with them?

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                                If a man objects to be called "sir", too bad for him. Too bad for the whiny puke. "Oh, WAH, someone is trying to show me a little respect, I hate that."
                                Yeah, I"m right there with you on that one. Same goes for "Ma'am."

And I don't care what's on someone's nametag, unless they introduce themselves by their first name, I don't consider that I have the right to call them by it. I find it creepy to be addressed by someone who I not only have not introduced myself to, but I don't know their name. Heck, I'd far rather be called "sweetie." Provided it's in the "southern folk" mode and not the "condecending little tool" mode.
                                Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 05-21-2008, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X