This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
    Table top games are 'spensive to get in to now-a-days though. Used to be for D&D you needed three books, a couple sets of dice, paper and pencils. Before my roommate moved out he had more than 50 books for 3rd edition (it was his goal to have every book).
    Hm. When I hear "tabletop", I think board games, not RPGs. Not that those can't get up there... the new Starcraft game is what, $80?

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
      Hm. When I hear "tabletop", I think board games, not RPGs.
      I include the whole gamut of gaming that doesn't involve electronics. D&D was just an example. Others have mentioned card games. And a lot of board games of any complexity will run you basically as much as an electronic game (PC/console).
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

OMG, I thought me and my weird friends were the only ones who have heard of killer bunnies. ohhh....new thought must make bunny play killer bunnies.......
        My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

Quoth fish3k1 View Post
          Paranoia is a grand old tabletop RPG that fits those same criteria ^_^ seriously, the game is sheer madness
          Alas, the madness of Paranoia is why I cannot play it. When things get hectic enough and I get too many people yelling around me at once, I kind of use up all my cycles on input and can't get to actually doing or saying anything. Which is really a shame, because I like the game.

Strangely, that doesn't happen with TFOS, even when we had the 30+ player game going one convention.

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
          The only thing I distinctly remember learning was the "Death From Above!" move and that you could club other Battlemechs with dismembered limbs.
          Death from above! I love that move. I have never, ever successfully performed one, however.

Oh, and I still need to get this t-shirt.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Anyone know a site that can help me appraise these cards? -.-

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
              Pedersen, I swear, you have the best links. I'm downloading this puppy and printing it out (all 107 pages) when I get to work.

Has anyone ever played Ninja Burger? It's a good game too.
              Heh. Time to drive you insane, then. RPG Now has a great online store. I found it last night, and spent $70 on PDFs. I now have a copy of Gatecrasher (any game which has, on their first page, the statement "Mother Nature is under marshal law" has to have *something* going for it , along with a dozen other PDFs, all of which are awesome. Two of them, though, were over half the cost (Book the Righteous, and Book of Demons). All the others were in the <$10 range.

Sorry, though, never heard of Ninja Burger before now.

Comment

@ GraveKeeper: No idea. Sorry dear. But I wouldn't mind buying some cards myself.

@Pedersen: I love you. Marry Me.
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I have Descent which is an $80 boardgame which is in the same category (only better) than Hero Quest. There are 2 other expansion packs for Descent, but I haven't picked them up yet as I haven't played Descent.

Also, there is Red Dragon Inn. The premise is what do Adventurers do after the last adventure and are waiting around for a new adventure? You just have to be the last man or woman standing.

The only card games I like are like Hera & Zeus and Mini Monfa. I love Apples to Apples & Quiddler & (Have you) Been Sentenced?. Killer Bunnies is really popular. Also Fluxx is up there too.

Arkham Horror the board game is popular along with the Order of the Stick boardgame (which I want to buy and play).

Comment

But I have a black deck that'll kick the pants off any body.
                    Anybody 'cept me. I still have my red-green deck that wiped the floor with your black deck. I also picked up a new red-green deck that I'm building out that's currently Tournament Legal (since my last one ISN'T! DARN YOU MTG!) and I need someone to beat the snot out of.
                    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Pedersen, I swear, you have the best links. I'm downloading this puppy and printing it out (all 107 pages) when I get to work.

2 things.
                      1: I'm a big Munchkin fan! I'll play!

And, 2: dude, you should convert your wife so that she plays. She'd like them, honest!

Has anyone ever played Ninja Burger? It's a good game too.
                      Great! Come on over. The good news is I'm in Arlington. The bads news is, it's not the one in Texas.

My wife was out of school a lot in her youth, and OD'd on board games. The few times I've gotten her to play, we quickly reached the point were we always stalemated. We just think too much alike.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                        Oh, and I still need to get this t-shirt.
                        That is very cool.

Quoth idrinkarum View Post
                        I have Descent which is an $80 boardgame which is in the same category (only better) than Hero Quest. There are 2 other expansion packs for Descent, but I haven't picked them up yet as I haven't played Descent.
                        We've been playing Descent this year. It is kind of like doing D&D without the role-playing part of it. The campaign aspect of it isn't great, but it is otherwise a smooth set of rules, with lots of interesting twists and 'Now we're screwed' moments from the GMs card deck. There's enough character management stuff in it to keep it interesting, but not enough to bog it down. We've been having a lot of fun with it.
                        "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                          We've been playing Descent this year. It is kind of like doing D&D without the role-playing part of it.
                          Though unless you're playing the campaign, it's a very munchkinish D&D. You progress from basic swords and spells to the Ultimate Hackmaster of Doomâ„¢ in no time at all.

Comment

I have a white deck. It is full of.....things.

Oh wow, Hero Quest. That brings back memories.

I just remembered Aerotech....oh wow. I had that too but I don't think they ever released new editions of it. =/

Then there was my personal favourite 3: Axis & Allies, Shogun and Fortress America. Oh yes. Any game that came with like 5000 pieces and had ridiculously complex rules was right up my alley. So what if it took half an hour just to set up the board? ;p

I don't remember what happened to Fortress America. But I still have the other two in storage somewhere.

Comment

I'm still thinking about teaching Kelly how to play Candy Land. The last time I tried to teach her, she just wanted to move everyone's gingerbread man around. She's a DM in training. <-- tears of joy.

My husband prefers to invite as many people over for a boardgame night as possible. I love him, but we no longer have our 8 foot conference table and leather chairs in the basement. At the most, we can have perhaps 8-10 people at our dining room table (that's if we pull out the card table and add it to the end of our dining table).

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                                <cough>Warhammer<cough>
                                *nodnod* During my stint at the game store, I was talking to one of the regulars who took pity on me in the dungeon and popped his head in to talk. He asks how the WH ebay side of things was going (not well due to a refusal to pay attention to the competition), that led into a conversation on how damn expensive the game is (he got out of it due to the price).

Not to say that all minis games can't be expensive, but Warhammer seems to be a particular offender in this regard.
                                Last edited by Dreamstalker; 05-19-2008, 01:55 PM.
                                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                                X