Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with Draftermatt on this one. Impersonating a police officer is a serious offense. A lot of trouble can come out of this. I too am curious of the outcome of this story.

The store I work at is across street from where I live and I know where some of my regulars live. I would never in my wildest dreams would I ever pull pranks or bother them even though they are assholes toward me while at work. I have a full life outside of that store! Majority of my regulars are nice people and I have conversations with them at the store and around my apartment complex.

This sort of fantasy makes a good story written on paper but not actually done in real life involving real people.

Comment

I didn't even start.

point blank:

Is the OP going to be in trouble? More than likely.
      Is what he did (if true) funny? damned right!
      Do I condone what he did? Hell, if word gets out about this beyond his community, it will make people think twice about prank calling for deliveries. Which means that the risk factor for a delivery person actually being shot in such a situation just went WAY down. So yes, in spite of the overkill and trouble he's facing - I DO condone it.

Sometimes one must put the ever-loving fear into the person in order to prevent a greater REAL danger down the line.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
        Lighten up people.
        Likewise no. Its not funny and impersonating an officer vs minor fraud is a no contest. I work with a lot of emergency services at work too and they put up with enough crap as is from the general public without this kind of thing. If true, it was overboard, stupid, vindictive, unamusing and he's liable to be arrested, fired and/or sued. If the op is making it up, then why is it even on here? Just to spark a discussion? Wee.

You don't drag other people into it and you don't go after SCs outside of work, prankers or not. Its just unprofessional.

Comment

gotta realize this tho, he said he lives in a rural community...

to me that read, cops don't do much anyway (not knocking rural cops, but i would have to say it's true they don't have a ton to do when it comes to solving crimes)

i can see them being pissed off at first, mebbe even taking action against it. But at the end, i bet they find some humor in it.

However, the mom may take more serious action (and if i was her, i would do my best to get said delivery driver fired at the least) for scaring the shit out of her.

I think if he would have left it at sending a squad car out to their locale, it would have been fine. As they probably would have waited up for an hour or two more, and not seeing any police, finally gone to bed, mebbe calling the police station in the morning or looking for news of a dead delivery driver (as if it's a rural community, would be BIG news), and if not hearing any, leave it at that.

Comment

And you expected people to find this funny? I sure as hell don't. People get into serious trouble for impersonating police officers.

You got a family mortified, thinking their daughter was involved in the death of an innocent pizza delivery man, and for what? Your personal revenge for a prank phone call. The only places where two wrongs make a right are Homer Simpson's head and evidently yours too.

As other posters have mentioned, you'd better hope everyone involved has somewhat of a sense of humor about this and doesn't decide to pursue it further, because you will be in some big-time trouble if that does happen.

And while I find a lot of things funny, I think anybody who would find a prank like this funny has a really warped sense of humor.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth CorDarei View Post
              I think if he would have left it at sending a squad car out to their locale, it would have been fine. As they probably would have waited up for an hour or two more, and not seeing any police, finally gone to bed, mebbe calling the police station in the morning or looking for news of a dead delivery driver (as if it's a rural community, would be BIG news), and if not hearing any, leave it at that.
              Heck, if he had even just gone "Haha! Pysche!" and hung up right at the end. -.-

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                If the op is making it up, then why is it even on here? Just to spark a discussion? Wee.
                Well, I think the owner of the site said it best:
                Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                Part of the reason I approved the thread in the first place, Matt, was that I expected members of the board to rationally point out that the course of action taken wasn't the best and why. In most instances, and in general, I wasn't disappointed. We're not here to say that the people serving customers are always right - there are several areas of the forum that prove otherwise. It's the sort of community we need here.

Rapscallion
                Just to note, there has been outrage on a couple of fronts at this thread being allowed to stay, and yet, oddly enough, not a single report on it.
                Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth CorDarei View Post
                  gotta realize this tho, he said he lives in a rural community...

to me that read, cops don't do much anyway (not knocking rural cops, but i would have to say it's true they don't have a ton to do when it comes to solving crimes)
                  You'd be surprised how many things you see in a smaller community.

I live in and around one, at minimum 75 minute drive to the nearest prison, and my town doesn' technically even have its own police force. We're teamed up with the next town over.

We see a lot of prisoners breaking out and running here to hide, there are hundreds of drug lords and drug labs in farm+ communities that are busted every year, common southern violence over redneck stuff (in my area anyway), robberies, and you name it.

Smaller place doesn't mean smaller to-do list,

Comment

I just don't know. Everyone is making really good points, but my gut is still saying this story is funny.

I think its because I strongly suspected that the story is not entirely true. Come on now, admit it, OP! I can't speak for anyone else, but I won't be mad. Its what you would have loved to have done - but didn't. For all the reasons listed here in the thread.

Like I said earlier - as a piece of fiction or semi-fiction, its amusing.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

To me, the story will only be funny if:

-There aren't serious punishments for OP's actions.
                      -The kid learns her lesson
                      -The family learns that it was only a revenge prank, and there was no death.

That aside, there will be trouble with the family as by now they'll have realized what really happened. But depending on what the police do, it may be one of those situations you laugh about in five years. (Not after jailtime five years.)

I don't condone impersonating a policeman either. But I also don't condone calling pizza on your ex boyfriend. That's asking for trouble in itself.

Comment

Haven't read all the replies, but I've got to say, while prank ordering a pizza to get revenge on an ex-boyfriend is rotten, what the OP did was absolutely reprehensible. There is *NO* excuse for doing that to someone.

IF it's embellished fiction, that's fine, but if you actually phoned someone up THREE HOURS after they prank ordered just to put the MOTHER through hell, then you ought to be burned for impersonating an officer *and* harrassment (as the mother hadn't done anything and it was *her* you played your nasty little trick on).
                        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post

And while I find a lot of things funny, I think anybody who would find a prank like this funny has a really warped sense of humor.
                          That doesn't necessarily make them warped, though.
                          It just means they find humor in things that you don't.

I may not find humor in things that you would refer to as funny, but that doesn't make you warped. It just means we don't have the same type of humor.

I have a nephew who is a police officer. I have forwarded this to him for his opinion.

If he has time to get back to me, I will share the results.
                          Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I, too, find it not at all funny, and I hope that it's false. Apart from what has already been posted - that impersonating a police officer is a serious offense, that the mother was suffering for what her daughter did - it's simply too much in response to what the girl did.

This doesn't mean that I approve of ordering a pizza for your former boyfriend so that people are woken at his house by the unwitting delivery driver. Since the girl did give her real number, it would have been sufficient, in my view, to call the number and inform the girl's mother that someone had been using that phone to prank call the pizza place. Mention that a teenage girl had made the call, and the mother is capable of putting two and two together. That way, nobody has to deal with the sheer horror of believing, even if only for a short time, that someone had DIED as a result of a thoughtless prank, and no police time is wasted.

If the story is true, I only hope nobody at that household had a weak heart, or other health problems.

Comment

In a rural community, what happens when word gets around the "shooter," you know, shot someone? I don't know, after reading all of the responses, I'm going to keep my original opinion: Funny in theory (more than likely not to the police, though), but man there are other stories you could have told not resulting in someone's fake death.
                              Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

Quoth marty View Post
                                In a rural community, what happens when word gets around the "shooter," you know, shot someone?
                                Same thing as any other place. Police go looking for clues, and the neighborhood is informed over the local news, radio, and the police call the only two supermarkets in town to warn everyone. =p

Comment

Working...
                                X