Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I named my wi-fi Routernomicon. It's password-protected, but I wonder if anyone's been brave enough to try to steal it...

Comment

Or you can set it to not broadcast the SSID. That way no one can see you and the can't connect unless they know the SSID and the password.. Dlinks website has many emulators that not only let you poke around ad see what settings are available but also what they do. Great place to school yourself.

Comment

Like MAC filtering, SSID hiding only keeps the accidental clickers out.

One fun idea I heard was set an AP up, and funnel all requests through a box running squid. Then you could have it scramble text, flip images, all sorts of stuff. XD
        Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

AH, squid, the source of endless fun to be had. Once we used a cron job to switch around allow lists. One allowed facebook and other "important" websites, the other didn't. It was the last day before the firm closed down for good, so we decided to have some fun.
          No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

I've got an unknown neighbor that's named: "2 girls 1 router"

Comment

Mine is "speak friend and enter"

Yes, the first part of the password is "Mellon"
              What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                I found out on Friday that the network at my brother's business is "Get your own network". Reminded me of this thread.
                Mine is "Keep Your Damn XBox Off My Wifi" Our WiFi had suddenly started to go slow... REALLY slow. When Mother looked into it, there was an XBox on the WiFi. Problem... My XBox is a first-gen XBox, no WiFi capabilities. We only had two neighbors at that point who could possibly HAVE an XBox 360, and one of them has been in the trailorhood longer than we have... They have their own WiFi. Conclusion: Neighbors next door who'd moved in in the past couple years, had an adult male in my age group, and they tended to have parties... Up goes a password and a change to our WiFi name! I was kinda sad because it was the only way my old DS could possibly hope to connect to the internet, but now I have a 3DS, and it hasn't the same issues of "I have to put it on THIS setting that's OPEN WITH NO PASSWORD so the DS can connect to others"

So... How does one find out their MAC address...? XD;; So I know what's what and I can make a file noting which one's my laptop, which one's Mother's laptop, which one's her iPad, her Microsoft tablet thing, which one's her iMac... And which one's my 3DS(WTF, how does she end up with so much stuff on my wireless...)
                Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

ipconfig /all on Win and ip addr (the link/ether value is the MAC) on *nix, should apply to BSD as well (ie: the Mac).

Would be easier to just look at your router's client list. It should show IP, hostname, and MAC, from which you could easily discern what's what.

As long as you're using WPA2 with a long, hard to guess password you should be good....for now.
                  Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth ThirdGenRetail View Post
                    So... How does one find out their MAC address...? XD;; So I know what's what and I can make a file noting which one's my laptop, which one's Mother's laptop, which one's her iPad, her Microsoft tablet thing, which one's her iMac... And which one's my 3DS(WTF, how does she end up with so much stuff on my wireless...)
                    System Settings, Internet Settings, Other Information, Confirm MAC Address

That'll tell you what your MAC address on your 3DS is.
                    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

My favorite SSID: "Bill Wi the Science Fi"

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                        Hmm, I've got a spare wireless router at the moment. Maybe I should set it up without a password, but not hook it up to a network. The thought of a bandwidth thief getting good signal, but no access to the internet is entertaining, for some reason.
                        I do believe I'm going to have to steal that idea.

I might give "them" access to a sandboxed local server, set it up so every single address redirects to some pointless page.

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                        Or name it "┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐" and see if they freak out. (It's a Doctor Who reference!)
                        Oh hey, look at this...
                        Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                        OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                        she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                        Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Working...
                        X