Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IRL Reactions to your work horror stories?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRL Reactions to your work horror stories?

If you're like me, you tell everyone you know all of your work horror stories when they ask how's work. Their reactions are a mixed bag, but it's mostly: Sometimes they laugh. Very few feel mad on my behalf tbh.
    So how do people IRL react to your horror stories? Mad, sympathetic, think it's funny? Just wondering.
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Sometimes its a "you're making this up, aren't you?" because they can't believe how insane some of the customers I deal with are.
    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Most of mine are answered with: "Yeah, I can believe that. You're a cab driver, after all."
      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Most people I tell my stories to make fun of the SC.
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I stopped telling them because they're sick of hearing it. That's what I have y'all for, and I'm very grateful.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
            Sometimes its a "you're making this up, aren't you?" because they can't believe how insane some of the customers I deal with are.
            This, plus how stupid some of them are.
            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

My parents used to be like this. Not because they thought I was lying, they just couldn't wrap their heads around how horribly some people behave.

Hubby OTOH has worked retail and fast food, so when I'd regale him with stories from work, he totally understood. Sometimes with a sympathy hug, sometimes insulting the SC, but he Got It.

I've been out of retail since last November (work from home now) and I truly do not miss it. I miss my coworkers, but I don't miss Corporate's insanity or the SCs. My coworkers keep asking me, "When are you coming back?" Well, is Corporate still sending you 500 box shipments every week and no hours or equipment to do them? Are customers still asking you for step-by-step instructions on how to do their projects, not-so-subtly hinting that you should do it for them? They are? Well, I guess I'll return when Hell freezes over.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I've had a few similar reactions, but the most galling was when I told about the guy who wanted me to be his personal shopper...after I was off the clock...and complained about me to a manager because I wanted to go home instead of helping him...

And got this blank look. "Why is that a problem?"

I explained he had a habit of monopolizing people that had helped him before, for hours.

"So? It's just being nice, and he probably just wanted..." No.

No, he wanted to feel like he had a servant/slave of his own for a few hours.

"You're exaggerating"

Comment

I work tech support.

I had to explain to Mum recently that the most common line I hear is
                  "So, do I click Next?"

She didn't believe me. Then she did. She doesn't ask me about work anymore
                  Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                  What's the difference?
                  We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                    I stopped telling them because they're sick of hearing it. .
                    That's sad, I would expect the people I know to at least say, "that's too bad" as I do when they're telling me of their work woes.

Quoth Sulhythal View Post
                    I've had a few similar reactions, but the most galling was when I told about the guy who wanted me to be his personal shopper...after I was off the clock...and complained about me to a manager because I wanted to go home instead of helping him...

And got this blank look. "Why is that a problem?"

I explained he had a habit of monopolizing people that had helped him before, for hours.

"So? It's just being nice, and he probably just wanted..." No.

No, he wanted to feel like he had a servant/slave of his own for a few hours.

"You're exaggerating"
                    I get that sometimes, "You should've done X, you should've done Y. S/he was probably just having a bad day." Comes from people who haven't worked a long time as I have with the public i.e. my brother. My sister, who has worked longer with the public is more sympathetic, though she is actually extroverted and likes talking to the public, and she has something in her brain that blocks out any bad memories of people.
                    Sure wish I had that!!!
                    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

That's not a rare reaction
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
                        I get that sometimes, "You should've done X, you should've done Y. S/he was probably just having a bad day." Comes from people who haven't worked a long time as I have with the public
                        Yeah, mostly when I tell horror stories about the Fabric Store people are like "you worked there?! That place is always crazy, omg" in sympathy with me.

But every once in a while I'd get "Oh, Fabric Store? They never have enough employees, and the sales are confusing." (or "the fabric is never in the right place" etc) Heavily implying that they are siding with whatever SC is in my story. And the thing is, I agree that the chain is being run into the ground, and if people don't shop there because of bad experiences, that's fine, I totally understand. But when I'm telling a story of how someone left a dirty diaper on the floor, that's not the store's fault. If I'm telling the story of a customer who always berated the employees telling them they were stupid, that's not the store's fault. And so on.
                        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I've had everything from a sympathetic smile and hug to "You've got to be shitting me! That wouldn't ever happen...would it?"

I've had patterns whipped at my head by angry customers, gotten complaints because I 'rolled my eyes' at somebody, gotten called a 'retard' because I stutter, had more than one person try to come over the counter at me when they've disagreed with a company policy, and so much more.

The people who've worked retail and/or fast food fully understand. It's the people who've never had to do that kind of work in their lives who can't believe it. I swear everybody should have to have a retail or fast food job at least once in their lives so they can have their eyes opened to the realities of SCs. Not that it would help some of the more entitled arseholes out there :/

Comment

fortunately for me most of the people I know are either in the biz or have worked in the biz and really understand the cra cra, insanity, the stupid, the dumb, the not understanding of how the world/reality works, how physics/chemistry works, etc.
                            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I actually had a guy that I was involved with at the time actually tell me I had no right to go to HR when I was having to deal with those two nightmare managers over a decade ago now.

Basically, I was just supposed to shut up and take it because I'm a woman. He really didn't like it when I reminded him that I don't tolerate disrespect from anyone, regardless of who they are.

Needless to say, he made the Wall of Ex's not long after that . . .
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                              X