This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halloween costumes

The company is letting us wear costumes for the Halloween weekend. The usual list of exclusions:

--nothing that gets in the way/constitutes a safety hazard (I'd love it if that included the walking OSHA violations in other departments)
    --no fake weapons (even if they're clearly impossible?)
    --store uniforms must still be worn as usual
    --nothing offensive/political/religious/etc
    --nothing that could contaminate food

At the end of the email was this oddity: "Avoid dressing up as another coworker."
    The only reason to include that would be if nametag-swapping was a thing...which it isn't as we don't have them.

I can't do any makeup (falls under potential contaminant), but my ears and tail should be inoffensive enough and the tail is short and easy enough to remove if need be (it clips to my belt)....it might even force people to realize that I am indeed trying to move past them.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

They still want you to wear your store uniform?! Do they not get the concept of wearing a Halloween costume? Geez.

Dressing as co-workers - well, this could be funny. A few years ago I had a supervisor with a bizarre sense of humor. He and a CW of mine happened to get along pretty well at that time, so for Halloween that year he dressed up as her - complete with blond wig and Disney-themed sweatshirt (she wore those all the time).

This made quite an impression considering he had a mustache and (I think) a goatee at the time...
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

If it was planned out well enough in advance, I could probably get away with being J's evil twin...now I'm really curious what prompted the "avoid dressing as coworkers" mention.

Comment

My store/company lets us dress up and we have to follow some of the same guidelines as Dreamstalker cause we are a food place

Me personally my "costume" is either

A. my normal uniform as I am dressed as a <red roof pizza place> employee
        B I wear a T-shirt with glow-in-the-dark letters that say "This invisible man costume is defective.

B had been my dress up for about 8 years now when I have to work Halloween.
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

So you've got ears and a tail--- cat?devil?zombie?
          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Furry? I keep contemplating the whole fursuit thing myself, but I think I'd die from heat exhaustion!

Last year I dressed up as Professor Snape, but I want to do something different this year. I've got a half-way okay Jedi cosplay that I could easily pull out of my closet, but I'm thinking Musketeer if I've got time to pull something together!

Comment

Halloween costumes have been hit or miss where I work. I have t-shirt that I got my mileage from that has a skeleton on the front that says "Bad to the Bone", last year I had a t-shirt printed with candy corn but this year I'm off and will not be partaking in any Halloween shenanigans. We had one manager who went overboard for the holidays but in a fun way. She's long gone now and it's just not the same.
              I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

I'm a vet tech working in a small general practice. I have a haunted mansion scrub top, which I generally wear, because: I made tortoishell cat ears on a headband, and a gigantic tail that attached to a belt. I had to quit wearing the tail because it got in the way, and the ears scared the heck out of all the animals.... The scrub top, naturally, scares nobody, so I can be thematic, but am not allowed to dress UP!

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                  So you've got ears and a tail--- cat?devil?zombie?
                  Successful matador?

At a previous job, there were a pair of employees whose costume was to dress up as the other person. They were opposite genders, so they both would up cross-dressing! And they both pulled it off pretty well....
                  “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                  One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                  The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I'd guess the "no cow-orkers" thing is pre-emptive to prevent a possible bullying/hostile workplace issue. While it can be all good fun, especially if you agreed with a colleague to swap looks, it's too easy for it to be interpreted as piss-taking.

I'm interested in hearing about what people will come up with to look identifiably "in costume" while still in uniform!
                    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Gray wolf ears and tail--the first tail I bought is nice but I eventually found it too freakin' long to be practical, so I got another that looks more realistic.

*even in uniform I could have some fun with "Do you work here?" though...*

Comment

Oh boy I misread that as 'gay wolf ears and tail'....

Perhaps we should have a Rogues'Gallery of CS Hallowe'en costumes. Tomorrow night for our Harry Potter night on the town,I shall be a lethifold. Black,shadowy critter. Easy costume
                        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I just plan on wearing my brown leather jacket and a brown fedora. Luckily we are having some cold weather down here.

Comment

I just pictured that episode of The Office where Jim comes to work dressed as, and acting like Dwight. Why would your work be concerned about this, lol.
                            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

The boss put up an email from corporate of what is approved Halloween wear. No costumes but accessories that we conveniently just happen to sell in the store. Including devil horns. Yeah, glad I'm not going to be there for that mess this year.
                              I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X