Go Back   Customers Suck! > Community > Check it out!

Ha ha ha ha! "How To Write Unmaintainable Code"
Old 05-07-2018, 02:27 PM
Store Manager

Default Ha ha ha ha! "How To Write Unmaintainable Code"

I'm only about 3 or 4 pages into this, and I've already snickered a few times...

https://www.se.rit.edu/~tabeec/RIT_4...ble%20Code.pdf

Old 05-09-2018, 07:44 AM
stressed out broke pizza guy

Location: In the land of Green and Gold eating Pepperoni with an UZI

Hell I don't need to read the whole article. I lived the life of a "maintenance" programmer way back when there were some limitations on even source code size back when single letter variable names (used for more than one purpose) and switches were used more than once using GOTO's instedad of a sub-routine (passing values back and forth) and creating comments or documentation or flowcharting was considered being a wussy.

IBM punch card style ridged column based RPG COBOL FORTRAN and throw in some mainframe JCL to surround said source code

OR

in the IBM S/36 world OCL surrounding said not free form single letter reuseable variable and switches Source code

3000 lines of WTF is this shit show spaggetti code.

I wrote one particularly big long complex program using various language "tricks" to solve some variable name problems . HELL my internal comments/docs had more llines than the actual code as I explained in DETAIL how stuff worked and what I did and how I did it. I am willing to bet if I were to get a hold of that source code to day 25 years later I would be able to decipher and understand it.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Old 05-10-2018, 02:33 PM
Store Manager

Yeah, but this one is bad (in an amusing way)...

It's got things in it like "name a function something completely different than what it actually does".

Misspell function names on purpose, so a Save() method might turn into Saave() or Saev() or Sav()

Obfuscate where possible.

Things like that.

The author says he wrote it kind of tongue-in-cheek, because he wrote articles on how to write maintainable code, and no one read them.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:38 PM
Warning: He thinks he's funny.

Step 1: Write it in the Perl language... That s**t is write-only code, I swear!!!

Old 05-24-2018, 05:30 PM
Darwin and Murphy are my gods.

Write-only: You must be thinking of TECO, where literally any string can be a valid program. The Jargon File has an example of sorting in TECO. (APL is even worse; Wikipedia has Conway's Game of Life in APL2, and it literally looks like line noise to me.)
Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Old Today, 11:26 AM
Assistant Manager

Quote:
Quoth Deserted View Post
Write-only: You must be thinking of TECO, where literally any string can be a valid program. The Jargon File has an example of sorting in TECO. (APL is even worse; Wikipedia has Conway's Game of Life in APL2, and it literally looks like line noise to me.)
The old-timers in Unix had a party game with TECO: Type your name in and see what it does.

The big thing about APL was just that they extended the character set (to hell and gone) to include all the mathematical operators for arrays and the like. Back in college, one of my professors had an ASCII version that was much more readable. (You still needed to understand the math, though.)