Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was little we used to do turkey deja-vu on Christmas at my grandmothers house (this being at a time when all three Big Ones - Thanksgiving, Christmas, AND Easter - were at her house). But for a long time now we've done ham, and usually my mother will make a jumbo sized batch of scalloped potatoes to go with it. I think once or twice we might've done a smaller ham and also had a pan of glazed chicken breasts.

If my mother is not working, she sometimes makes a big chicken dinner on the flip side of Christmas (that is, Christmas Eve if we go to my grandmother's on Christmas Day) but not always.

To tell the truth, I miss turkey deja-vu. I have nothing against ham, but I like turkey dinner better.

Easter though, is a whole 'nother ball of wax that I don't want to get into right now.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Big ole ham with brown sugar and pineapple rings baked on it or cloves stuck into the scoring, baked dried corn, candied sweet potatoes, green beans (sometimes the casseroled green beans), two kinds of cranberry sauce (cranberries, sugar and ground whole oranges for the purists, canned cranberry sauce for the others), white potatoes in addition when someone was coming that didn't like sweet potatoes. For dessert there were pumpkin pies, mince meat pies, and a milk pie made with the leftover crust, and heaven - diced marshmallows (not the small ones, they don't work) soaked overnight in crushed pineapple and its unsweetened juice, then real home-made whipped cream folded in at the last minute. My niece always got confused when she was little and called the heaven "god." And snickerdoodles. We always made those Christmas Eve, enough for everyone to take home several dozen. The house smelled wonderful!

Comment

Although there's normally only 4 of us for Christmas dinner, my 2 big kids have such conflicting tastes we usually end up with a red meat & a bird! My daughter will only eat chicken & rarely turkey and my son much prefers his beef. Mum & I will eat anything really

This year we're having a capon and a piece of ribeye. probably with the UK version of pigs in blankets (sausages wrapped in streaky bacon), roast baby new potatoes, mashed potatoes, honey glazed parsnips & carrots. Mum will probably bring her own Brussels sprouts as I can't stand those

This year for a starter I have some smoked venison.. last year I made Gravlax.. we were still eating that New Years eve!

For dessert, half the family will go for cheesecake or fudge cake. Mum and I will be traditional & have Christmas pudding (gluten free) but instead of brandy sauce, I've found some very yummy looking fig and date brandy cream

In the evening, if anyones still hungry, it'll be cold meat, nibbles & salad. I picked up a nice big bit of gammon the other day from a meat market about 30 miles from home and was thinking of baking that with a honey mustard glaze, but after seeing...

Quoth 1756GR2 View Post
        Big ole ham with brown sugar and pineapple rings baked on it
        I'm very tempted

After all that, I don't tend to live on leftovers for a week though, there's usually a fair bit of meat left, so it all gets sliced, portioned & frozen ready for meals in the new year!
        Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

Quoth 1756GR2 View Post
          Big ole ham with brown sugar and pineapple rings baked on it or cloves stuck into the scoring, baked dried corn, candied sweet potatoes, green beans (sometimes the casseroled green beans), two kinds of cranberry sauce (cranberries, sugar and ground whole oranges for the purists, canned cranberry sauce for the others), white potatoes in addition when someone was coming that didn't like sweet potatoes. For dessert there were pumpkin pies, mince meat pies, and a milk pie made with the leftover crust, and heaven - diced marshmallows (not the small ones, they don't work) soaked overnight in crushed pineapple and its unsweetened juice, then real home-made whipped cream folded in at the last minute. My niece always got confused when she was little and called the heaven "god." And snickerdoodles. We always made those Christmas Eve, enough for everyone to take home several dozen. The house smelled wonderful!
          My pancreas is now hiding under the blankets whimpering ....
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
            duck roast and pork crackling, with boiled potatoes and caramel potatoes on the side.
            For dessert, we get a dish called "Rice A La Mande",
            We eat exactly the same, the only difference is that everybody drink beer, adults alcoholic and children non-alcoholic. A typical Danish Christmas dinner.

Comment

This is my first post to CustomersSuck and I decided to add to the Xmas dinner list. My mother started our traditional meal and I continue it since she passed on.

Turkey with home made stuffing
              Gravy made from pan drippings
              Mashed potatoes
              Peas
              Rutabagas (yellow turnips) - strong flavor but goes good with turkey
              Jellied salad - lemon & lime gellatin, green onions, radishes, celery, peas, shredded carrots and pineapple
              And due to the scottish lieage of the family, Haggis! (I know ugh but it is in my blood. Great with gravy)

And finally a Dicken's English Christmas pudding doused with scotch serverd flambeau and brandy sauce.

I have since added Green Bean Casserole

It isn't Christmas to me without at least some of this to feast upon.

Comment

First off, Welcome to Bionic Hobbit. Glad to have you join us!

Usually

First Round
                Antipasto
                Stuffed Mushrooms

Second Round
                Mannicotti

Third Round (some combo of
                Some pairing of Prime Rib, Turkey, or Ham.
                Sauteed mushrooms
                Collard Greens
                Cranberry relish
                Mac and Cheese
                Sweet potatoes

Followed by
                Cheese and Fruit and Nuts
                Cheesecake
                Pecan Pie
                Cannoli
                Biscotti
                Tiramisu
                whatever else someone felt like making

We don't play around

Comment

Daaaaaamn you guys are cooking overachievers.

When I was a kid we always went to my mom's family's shindig, so there was a giant potluck of all sorts of fattening Irish-German fare.

My husband's family always has an Xmas Eve dinner consisting of shrimp, sausage balls, salsa and chips, a cheese log, and a few other odds and ends. They always eat a huge lunch at his grandma's house (family potluck) so Xmas Day is usually frozen pizza and leftovers.

So yeah, we're a bit all over the place, but never anything fancy.
                  https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

we used to do the turkey dinner but it would take forever so we just started to eat all day. My mom and i just make a bunch of different things.

I am bringing irish stew this year. Rosettes (need to test them with beer) and I am not allowed in the house if i don't have the fudge or my cauliflower with a mayo/mustard sauce cover in cheese.

there will be a ham, cuban sandwichs, couple of soups.

There are more food then people
                    Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Yeah, well, we all like to cook and we're all good at it.

Even the men.

So we always have this bizarre Tennessee Williams fusion of Italian-American and Southern country fare. It's awesome.

Comment

Hey Kink, I wanna eat with y'all.
                        Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                        Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Parsnips! Orcseses carrots! We hateses them!

Brussel Sprouts: All the vileness of a whole cabbage in one concentrated morsel!

Excuse me, I need to put my inner child to sleep...
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

We go to our mums and have dinner there, her hubby is a very good cook but we do not have the traditional turkey as my mum is very allergic to it. So we have chicken, roast taters, carrots, peas, pigs in blankets, Yorkshire puddings (not mum though so can't eat wheat either ) and whatever else they decide to serve
                            Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

We have a Danish Christmas dinner at my aunt's place on Christmas Eve and Rugz still won't eat the Rice A La Mande. Everyone adores it, and he's the odd one out. Christmas lunch is at his Nan's place and is the Aussie-style luncheon with salads (including that ghastly grape salad), cold meats, pavlova, cake, many chocolates and a goodly amount of wine plus a nod to the Dutch side of the family with the addition of a platter of Rollmops *shudders*
                              Boxing Day is at our place, and we have all our friends drop in whenever they get there and for as long as they like. We have a BBQ for lunch, even more junk food and either takeaway or leftovers for dinner if anyone's still hungry. Of course, I still make a light dinner for our girls and any extra munchkins... our two actually like brussel sprouts!
                              Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

We do ham on Christmas.. Still have cornbread dressing though.
                                http://www.customerssuck.com/?m=20080203

My destiny is not pretty, but it's what my cutie mark is telling me.

Comment

Working...
                                X