No announcement yet.

The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Count me in as one of the people who's completely comfortable with just wearing masks forever from this point onward. I no longer have to force a smile all the time at work, I don't have to shave as often, and at this point I've got a collection of various cartoon/character faces to choose from, so I can decide when I leave the house if I want to be the Joker or Batman or Shrek or Fred Flintstone or Alfred E. Neumann and such.

I also have a custom-printed mask with my own face on it, which people either love or find deeply unsettling.

Comment

• Who's got two thumbs and has scheduled his vaccination through work for next month?

THIS GUY.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

• Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
        I swear, it really makes me want to shake some people like a paint-can-mixer, in hopes that it will jump-start their brain into working.
        If you do that you will have to add a few gallons of brains to the mix.

Because, you know, those people don't have any brains.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
          If you do that you will have to add a few gallons of brains to the mix.

Because, you know, those people don't have any brains.
          I'll have you know that I now have a few minor pains after searching for the proper like/rate up/applause bit.

I also get to wondering if there's some sort of anti-brains, which actively inhibits or counters actual thought processes. And what happens when you mix the two? Oh wait, that described politicians, didn't it...

Comment

• Quoth Smapti View Post
            Count me in as one of the people who's completely comfortable with just wearing masks forever from this point onward. I no longer have to force a smile all the time at work
            I'm kind of with you. I work at home but I hate the "smile" order while I'm in public and this eliminates it. Still, at the risk of sounding arrogant, I have nice lips and I like playing with lipsticks.

Quoth csquared View Post
            One thing to keep in mind: A vaccine is NOT a magical barrier that keeps the virus out of your body, You can still catch the virus. The vaccine tunes your antibodies to fight the virus. You have a head start and will hopefully keep it to a minimum. It makes sense that if you can catch the virus, you can spread it. Though your contagious period will be less severe and shorter. Please continue to wear your mask until the only ones still at risk, are those that choose to be at risk. Personally, I am hoping that masks become fashionable and in the future, more people continue to wearing them during flu season.
            Thank you for the reminder. I agree in theory about the flu, though I hate wearing one.

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
            I saw a social media post about "80% of people wear masks, and the infection rate is rising. Masks don't work." Yeah, I stomped on that one real quick. "80% of people claim to wear masks, but many of those are only wearing them out to the grocery store, not to parties or large indoor family gatherings."
            I am going to the store in a little while and I'm sure I'll be reminded of the nose/mask, weewee/underwear meme.
            Last edited by Food Lady; 02-06-2021, 06:32 PM.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• Quoth Smapti View Post
              Count me in as one of the people who's completely comfortable with just wearing masks forever from this point onward. I no longer have to force a smile all the time at work,
              I don't mind masks either. I'm not required to smile at my work, but wearing a mask still makes me feel comfortable having whatever expression I want and nobody can say "you looked so pissed when..." I wish this wasn't such a polarized issue. I'm not wearing it to make a point, I'm wearing it because it's the right thing to do, and if I want to wear it in the future I won't be making a point either.

Not all masks are uncomfortable. A lot of people just won't try to find a good style. They wear one and are like "I hate this!" and that's it. I've really stopped being understanding about this issue. Would you try on one pair of shoes that are uncomfortable and never try on another pair, refuse to wear shoes the rest of your life?
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

• Coffee consumers around here do not seem to realize that the occupancy limit applies whether you are ordering inside or picking up a mobile order. You're still in the space regardless of method.

Come to think of it, people in general tend to ignore posted occupancy limits unless they know employees are checking.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• We're still in a hard lockdown. All non-essential stores, bars and restaurants are closed (although some stores are doing a workaround with click-and-collect preordering solutions + restaurants are running take-away or delivery options).

Younger pupils (K-4) will be admitted to on-site schooling starting tomorrow, but only for 1-2 weeks before Winter Break.

Masks are mandated in stores and on public transport, but not on the streets (but however it is so cold outside right now, everybody is masking all the time to keep their face cheeks warm LOL).

We hope that the latest lockdown + vaccine rollouts will ensure some re-opening will take place in early March. However our PM predicts not much will happen until April .
                  A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

• I'm fortunate in that I'm in a position where I can work from home. We've been doing so since mid-March of 2020. They're not expecting us back in the office, at a minimum, until late 2nd quarter of 2021. And depending on how things go, that might even get pushed back.
                    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

• 30 new cases today in Newfoundland. And it's really put a damper on what was supposed to be a busy weekend at my hotel. Such is life though. The health authorities are saying that it's community spread, and 14 of the new cases are people under the age of 18....due to there being a volleyball tournament, hockey practices, and other sport related events in the past couple of weeks. As a result, all high schools have been shut down, and people are cancelling hotel and restaurant reservations and more.

Looks like I will be isolating even more than I already have been. But such is life if we want to see the end of this damn pandemic!

Comment

• Overheard a customer say, "I'll wear my mask next time."
                        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                        -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Quoth mjr View Post
                          I'm fortunate in that I'm in a position where I can work from home. We've been doing so since mid-March of 2020. They're not expecting us back in the office, at a minimum, until late 2nd quarter of 2021. And depending on how things go, that might even get pushed back.
                          Same here. It's difficult when my brother is home for various reasons, but it is really, really, really convenient.
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• An ex-coworker got COVID but didn't get really sick so didn't isolate. Her sisters also got it because they didn't think it was a big deal. Ex-coworker is fully recovered. One sister is on a vent and the other one left 2 young children when she died.

Comment

• 100 new cases yesterday and 50 today. Things are shutting down but not hotels. Which means I'm working this weekend. Valentine's Day is always a big day for hotels, and my bosses didn't want to lose out completely on that money...but we've only got two rooms today. Tomorrow we have 13, provided nobody cancels at the last minute. But I get to hole up at the hotel from tonight right through to the end of my shift on Monday. And I get paid for being here each night on top of my shifts.

We have no idea yet if we're going to end up closing, but I have a feeling that if numbers keep rising in my area that we will have no choice in the matter, sadly.

Comment

• Not only are we no longer encouraged to pack for other cashiers when we're not busy ... it's now flatly forbidden.

Rules about how many people can be in any of the break rooms at one time. It's driven me on a couple of occasions to the managers' break room ... which is heated! (The regular one seems to have an icy breeze blowing in; there's some kind of widget in the ceiling that doesn't fit properly.)

Had a customer come through my line the other day and tell me that the gloves I was wearing actually spread more germs than my bare hands. She may be right, but I can only take so much sanitizer on my hands.

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                                I don't mind masks either. I'm not required to smile at my work, but wearing a mask still makes me feel comfortable having whatever expression I want and nobody can say "you looked so pissed when..." I wish this wasn't such a polarized issue. I'm not wearing it to make a point, I'm wearing it because it's the right thing to do, and if I want to wear it in the future I won't be making a point either.

Not all masks are uncomfortable. A lot of people just won't try to find a good style. They wear one and are like "I hate this!" and that's it. I've really stopped being understanding about this issue. Would you try on one pair of shoes that are uncomfortable and never try on another pair, refuse to wear shoes the rest of your life?
                                I totally agree about the mask making it unnecessary to wear that rictus grin that you're always supposed to wear in retail.

Also, very good comparison with shoes!

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                                An ex-coworker got COVID but didn't get really sick so didn't isolate. Her sisters also got it because they didn't think it was a big deal. Ex-coworker is fully recovered. One sister is on a vent and the other one left 2 young children when she died.
                                And being on a vent is usually not a good sign ...
                                Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                                X