Go Back   Customers Suck! > Site News > Site News

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 01:45 PM
Release the Snarken!

Quote:
Quoth Rana View Post
I wouldn't follow to FB either ... I don't trust work to not 'snoop' on my activities on FB.

Hopefully we can find someone to take over the site, or move elsewhere
Agreed. Even for CS, I won't get a FB account. Ever. Here's hoping someone can take over.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:08 PM
ţórr mjǫlnir

This is awful news, I'm sad to see the possibility of a major change.

(But I also understand a project like this takes a lot of time, and money).

I do have VPS hosting that I would be willing to help out with, as long as my VPS can handle this and my other sites.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:30 PM
Chairman of the Board

How does this change affect Fratching?

Old 01-18-2016, 02:36 PM
Just Peachy

Quote:
Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
Not me. If this site goes, I'll probably just disappear along with it. Facebook just wouldn't be the same, and a whole lot riskier.
This is why, despite me wanting to join the FB group, I won't -- it's too much of a risk for me to join said group since I've got current co-workers on it.

I'd hate to see the site go, it was one of the few places I've been to that I've stayed despite me not posting a lot.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:00 PM
The Hero CS Deserves

greek_jester -- That sounds like the sort of thing Patreon was designed for (those who wish do do so pay a buck or 3 or 5 or 50 a month, and can stop the payments at any time). Could be worth bringing it up with whomever takes over, in lieu of advertising. Patreon deals with the financials, the owner would just have to account for the actual hosting fees, as well as the cuts (probably 5-10% each) for Patreon and for Paypal/their payment processor. I'd be in for a fiver

Hero -- I guess that would be up to whoever takes over.
“Last night, you were unhinged. You were like some desperate, howling demon. You frightened me. Do it again.” - Morticia Addams

"Sexual intellectuals. They're f@%#ing know-it-alls" - Chuck Yeager
"Good men don't need rules; today is not the day to find out why I have so many." - The Doctor
"[Friendship,] like philosophy, like art, like the universe itself … has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.” ~ C. S. Lewis

Last edited by EricKei; 01-18-2016 at 04:04 PM.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:04 PM
Just some guy

Quote:
Quoth Mr Hero View Post
How does this change affect Fratching?
Depends. If there's no option to take the forum forward and not lose posts etc, then I may put it up for sale at the same time - I'd be looking at getting out of hosting costs entirely, you see. However, I someone takes on CS as a going concern, so to speak, Fratching may be part of that deal.

Rapscallion

Old 01-18-2016, 04:35 PM
Chairman of the Board

I've been here close to 10 years myself and I will definitely miss this place if it goes. I don't mind saying if I had the financial flexibility and technical know how, I probably wouldn't think twice about taking it over myself.

I'm thankful for everyone I've met on here over the years. From iradney to Dave1982 to Irv to Moirae to Argabarga and of course the legend: Gravekeeper. It's been one hell of a ride.

Raps, my hats off to you in doing an awesome job running this place. It's getting harder and harder to have a sane forum on the internet these days.

I suspect what lies at the heart of this site will continue on in some fashion even if this particular forum ceases to exist. After all, we peons will always need a spot we can vent about the insane gauntlet/obstacle course we call a job.

If this is the end of line, it's been awesome everyone. You all rock. If this isn't the end, I look forward to what the future holds.

But I've loved every damned minute of it.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:51 PM
Escapee

Wow. I hope the forum continues in some form. Mainly I love how focused all the mods are on keeping things civil and on-topic. Sometimes I find myself on other boards and am always so disgusted at what is posted for no good reason. I deleted* my FB years ago and would not consider joining again, even to rant about SCs. *sigh*

*I'm pretty sure they don't really delete it, but it is unused.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:46 PM
Store Manager

I'm on FB primarily to keep in touch with family & friends (both groups are fairly well spread out) . And the fact that I'm retired and don't care if people know who I am. I really hope that something can be worked out for this site though. I'd really miss it if it wasn't here.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Old 01-18-2016, 06:07 PM
Area Manager

I'll echo that I hope that a solution can be found, at least for Fratching and for the forums were. Sadly, there isn't much more I can do but hope.

That said, if the boards do continue onward, I would probably be willing and able to help with support going forward; both for the hosting and for any other updates that might be needed going forward.
Closed Thread