This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retail Workers MUST Know About Fleas!

...Because I was talking about dog Halloween costumes to another customer, I absolutely MUST know about how to repel and get rid of fleas, since they go on dogs! Here's how the convo went (well, at least the brain breaking part).

Flea Lady

Lady: Hey, I overheard you mentioning dogs? If so, I have a question.
    Me: Yes, I was talking about dog Halloween costumes. What can I help you with?
    Lady: Well, I'm from *State* (don't remember), and over there we don't have fleas. I heard you have fleas here...? How do you get rid of them? Flea collars?
    Me: *internal * Well, several of our customers just buy flea collars here, but I do know of a couple other tricks.
    Lady: Okay, but how do you know there are fleas on them?
    Me: Well, safe to say, if you start itching, chances are your dog's got 'em too!
    Lady: Fleas can get on humans too? What do you do if your dog gets itchy?
    Me: Yeah, they can get on people too, but there are some tricks to killing them *if you'd stop and let me speak before adding another question!*. If you go to PetSmart or another similar shop, they have oatmeal bath soaps that really help itchy skin (forgot to mention flea soap; should have, considering she had to ask about FLEA COLLARS).
    Lady: What are other tricks to get rid of them? (Finally! Room to talk!)
    Me: Well, we have flea droplets that you drop into their fur, and it'll repel and kill the fleas. You just have to make sure not to pet them for a few hours *she looks surprisingly upset at this*. Most people put them on with flea collars for extra effect. The other option IF your dog already has fleas, is to wash them with the blue Dawn. Dunno why, but it kills fleas instantly.

We debate whether it was Dawn or Palmolive and she goes on her merry way. Thankfully it was quiet and we had coworkers in other lanes to take any slack I would have gotten, but how do you get, "Dog costumes = flea control"? And what fricken state do you have to be from to be flea-free? I can understand extremely cold states, but seriously, fleas aren't a big deal here, considering we're in the PNW and it's starting to get cold and rainy again.

Someone's Confident

Lady's and gentleman, HERE'S how to butter up potential employers. Shortly after Flea Lady, I called in a young woman into my line since she looked ready. We had an engaged conversation about where I used to live (Georgia, hence the knowledge on fleas**), from how long I worked there, to other various things. She mentioned that she wants to apply here and I encouraged it, pretty much just warning her to read twice what the questionnaire said, because most of it is pretty much the same question stated multiple times and different ways. She ended it with, "Thanks, and talk to you later! I'll probably be a coworker soon!", and left with a smile. Considering how upbeat she was, I sorta HOPE she gets hired.

Wherein I Forget my Meds

And I'm not kidding. I forgot to take my depression medication because I forgot breakfast which led to me forgetting it and it being too late to take it, otherwise I double my dosage for the night. So the whole time I was shaky and a bit squirrelly, and had decided if I got too giggly or otherwise twitchy, I'd just give a quick explanation and apologize. I never realized how much that medication puts you in a fog sometimes, so at most I was just really hyper. The responses varied, but I got someone genuinely concerned for me and they just kept asking if I was okay! I say this with an explanation point because my dosage of anti-depressant is so mild that if the most I get is jitters for not taking it, I'm not going to get hurt, so the most I could do is seriously tell her I'm fine and just a little bit hyper. She was still nice about it and hoped that I felt better, but being energetic to me is a GOOD thing, so there's that...

Relating to People is Nice Sometimes

So like any cashier, to save time and energy in talking, my philosophy has boiled down to this: I like what you like. Unless it's something harmless like candy, in which, BOY do I have an opinion (aka, if you don't want me saying "EW!" like some high school girl, don't buy black licorice in my line, you deserve it ). So this woman adds a Ferrero Rocher to her basket and I leave it out for her after I scan it. I mention how it's one of my favorite candies and she offers me one! I appreciated the offer, but I had a candy bar when I went into work, so I told her that, but I probably wouldn't have gotten in trouble if I took it. I say no to be nice though, lol.

** In Georgia, the family I lived with had two outdoor dogs that were INFESTED. Eventually the Wife just put on an impervious rain jacket, tied the dogs up and lathered the fleas to death with Dawn. Apparently they tried to jump on her in droves, hence the raincoat. They were still infested, but it helped somewhat.
    Last edited by Amusement Gal; 10-24-2013, 05:29 AM.
    My only regret is that I don't have a better word for "F@#k You".

Quoth Amusement Gal View Post
    And what fricken state do you have to be from to be flea-free? I can understand extremely cold states, but seriously, fleas aren't a big deal here, considering we're in the PNW and it's starting to get cold and rainy again.
    I'm in the Pacific Northwest too, but I used to live in Phoenix, AZ. Our cats never had fleas until we moved out here.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
      I'm in the Pacific Northwest too, but I used to live in Phoenix, AZ. Our cats never had fleas until we moved out here.
      Ah. I guess we don't have any problems with fleas with our dogs then. You'd figure the heat (like in Georgia), would promote fleas but I guess not. I guess I just found it funny that they didn't know fleas can get on PEOPLE, too. Or that there were flea products out there. Can't think of any other purpose for something called a 'flea collar' other than attracting them.

Comment

Quoth Amusement Gal View Post
        You'd figure the heat (like in Georgia), would promote fleas but I guess not.
        Just what you don't need - management (or even corporate) level fleas.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

When the first person talks about fleas, that's when you talk about fleeing!
          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Sounds like you answered her questions pretty well. I'm amazed by someone who doesn't know how to tell if her dog has fleas. If they scratch constantly, it's a pretty good clue, but you can also SEE them if you look closely.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

The "Flea Lady" story reminds me of something I read in Reader's Digest ages ago, in the "All in a Day's Work" section. For those of you who don't know, these are real-life stories about funny things that happen on the job. A cop sent this one in. He was working at a desk at the police station, when a lady called in asking how to baste a turkey. The cop talked her through it, and then asked her, "Why did you call the police station to ask how to baste a turkey?" The caller responded, "Well, you knew, didn't you?", and hung up.
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                Fleas don't do well in arid environments, which is probably why.

I use the stuff you put in their fur, and it works really well. I didn't know Dawn would kill fleas; I had a massive flea problem with a cat years and years ago; it got so bad I had to get Orkin to flea bomb the whole house. After that we didn't have any fleas, but they were all over the house and on us as much as on our furbabies (my cat, my roommie's dog).
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I absolutely love black licorice, but I can never eat it because I'm broke. LOL my boyfriend has the same reaction to it that you do.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    Just what you don't need - management (or even corporate) level fleas.
                    Well, they're bloodsuckers, after all.

And MadMike, that's awesome!

Comment

And what fricken state do you have to be from to be flea-free? I can understand extremely cold states, but seriously, fleas aren't a big deal here, considering we're in the PNW and it's starting to get cold and rainy again.
                      I'm up here too, and my vet told me fleas are a year-round thing, which surprised me. He's got our doggie on a pill once a month that's supposed to prevent fleas, ticks, and worms.

But that's the only reason I know anything about it. This is the first time I've owned a dog in decades. If someone didn't own a pet themselves I wouldn't expect them to know!

Comment

Frontline Plus. I swear by it. Three small dogs, and it keeps the fleas gone, all summer. Once it gets cold, we no longer need to use it, but it's a monthly dropper that goes on the dog's back. Most dogs react just fine, ask your vet. There are other similar brands out there, as well. Again, as the vet what they recommend, because fleas are no fun for the dogs or their owners.

Comment

Well the funny thing is, for us, we've had no problems with fleas and don't use any products, so I've just sorta assumed it's where I lived or something.

Comment

They can tune their ukelele now...
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Around here the fleas are always worst after a mild winter with a wet spring. I'm hoping this hard winter we're supposed to have will kill all the little bastards! And yes, Palmolive will kill fleas if you bathe the animal in it. Or, you can brush them with a fine toothed comb and shake the fleas into a bowl of water and dish soap; the soap breaks the surface tension and the fleas drown.
                              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Working...
                              X