This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email Is Hard: Plus a Bonus Coin Shop Roundup from Mr. Dips

I've been SC free for an unusually long time, so I guess I had this coming to me:

SC: Your program has an error in the [output]!

Me: OK. Just send us the [output] file with the error in it and we'll take a look at it. Also give us a note letting us know what we are looking for and where to look if it's a long file.

SC: Why can't I just tell you?

Me: Because we need to see the actual error. A verbal description is too ambiguous to interpret.

SC: I don't understand. It will take LONGER to do this by email. [If you substitute the words "EFFORT! On my part!" for the word "LONGER" in that sentence, you'll get what he really meant.]

Me: That's how we process error reports. A verbal description is pretty much useless to us for fixing these things.

SC: I don't know why you can't just write it down. Nobody wants to do anything.

Me: You certainly don't have to report the error if you don't wish to. [Pot, meet kettle.]

SC: I'm trying to report it to you now. You know, we have SEVERAL licenses.

Me: I understand. If you want to report it, please attach the file to an email and send it to [our email address] and we will take a look at it.

SC: When will you fix it?

Me: We will take a look and verify that there is an error. If there is, then we will update our software and the correction will be in a future release. [I always include that first bit because sometimes the error lies not in the software, but in the user.]

SC: Fine. Just give me the email address.

Me: It's [our email address].

SC: I'm going to send it, but don't write back to me at it. I don't read emails.

Gee. I never, EVER, would have guessed that.

So I got the email. There was an error in our program's output. It was mainly because our software didn't know how to correctly process some weird educator speak made up word. Luckily we can tweak things and fix it.

But I can't tell him that because he specifically TOLD me not to email him back.

I'm not a total bastard. I put a note in their several license records to pass along the information if they happen to call us again.

Bonus Coin Shop Roundup:

First Story:

I know that many gas station clerks on here get unfairly accused of being responsible for gas prices. Mr. Dips' co-worker, Cathy, owes all of you an apology...

Cathy was helping a regular customer who was in the store buying coins. Cathy is friendly and likes to make small talk with customers. So after mentioning the nice weather she raised the topic of gas prices, something like this:

"Wow can you believe how much they're charging for gas these days? Coming to work is costing me a fortune!"

The customer replied something like this:

"Don't say that! Every time you complain about gas prices, they go up!"

Cathy though he was making a silly joke and, being a nice lady, laughed at the silly joke so he wouldn't be embarassed.

Only he wasn't kidding. He really thought her remarks were raising the prices and told her so. Very sternly.

After the man left Cathy complained about gas prices a few more times just to amuse herself. She's drunk with her newfound power and we all hope she comes to her senses before bringing the US economy to its knees.

Second Story:

Mr. Dips' boss has a deal with a few long-standing customers. He is willing to take orders over the phone for gold, he gives them a price quote, orders the gold and the customer can come in later and purchase the gold at the quoted price.

This is considered a contract and only offered to customers the boss knows and trusts. Even if the price of gold doubles between the time the customer placed the order and the time he picks it up, the boss will stick to that quoted price.

And if the price drops the customer still has to pay the quoted price. This is completely understood by all parties and the way this SC did business for years.

So the SC called up and ordered $40,000 worth of gold. The boss placed the order for $40,000.

The next day the SC called up and tried to BACK OUT of paying for what he ordered because the price of gold had gone down.

The boss told the SC that he was SOL and would need to come in and pay for what he ordered. The SC refused.

So the boss filed a lawsuit against the SC. Updates as they happen, but I'm guessing the boss won't win since the burden of proof is on the plaintiff.

The SC really hurt himself there. There are not a lot of precious metal dealers who will order gold, even for their very best long-standing customers, without getting full payment up front. If you have a good honest relationship going with someone like Mr. Dips' boss, don't screw it up.
    Last edited by Dips; 05-15-2008, 11:51 AM.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Personally after working in a law firm I don't trust verbal contracts as far as I can throw them, especially if it is something major and worth a lot of money. Ow well let us know how your bosses lawsuit goes.

But please don't do it in an email, I don't read them.
    Am I sad because I am looking forward to the day when the people I will be dealing with will no longer be able to talk back?

Comment

Is it really that easy to buy gold?
      Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
        Is it really that easy to buy gold?
        Not usually. The moron had a good thing going.
        "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

heck its ahrd to buy silver unless you have a business, thats why while i have the skill and knowledge to make my own silver jewelery i dont (besides you know funding) its just to hard to get

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
            So the boss filed a lawsuit against the SC. Updates as they happen, but I'm guessing the boss won't win since the burden of proof is on the plaintiff.
            IANAL - and while I am very interested in the law (and part way through a law degree) I'm also in a different country. So I'm probably talking nonsense

I would however have thought that evidence of the previous deals would be very suggestive (though not conclusive) evidence of the deal. If this client has made previous deals and has then paid more or less than current value, paying instead the value at the time of the call - surely it would be very difficult to argue a different contract now.

Of course this sort of thing depends on what the other party says - if your boss is really lucky the customer is an idiot and will respond to court papers with something along the lines of "I did ask for this to be ordered, but do not believe I should be held to this now the market value has fallen". If they say "I never ordered gold on this occasion" your boss has a harder time. Probably something in between.

And yes people are that stupid - I helped someone go to the small claims court over a £50 parking ticket. They'd been made to pay to a private parking ticket company twice for the same ticket. They had a strong case, except that we could only show that the postal order sent had been cashed, not who cashed it. The idiots at the very dodgy firm responded to the pre-action letter by saying "we acknowledge receipt of ££(twice the amount they were legally due), and ignoring everything else. I think they relied on overcharging people, and most people not bothering to take them to court. We bothered, they'd plugged the only gap in the case and got the money back plus they had to pay an extra £30 for the court paper costs...

After all this customer clearly is an idiot - messing up a good deal for himself - maybe he'll shoot himself in the foot at court too.

Victoria J

Comment

If there are any US law students in the forum, feel free to scold me if I'm wrong, but if I believe there is a maximum amount of money/goods/services that can be bound by an oral contract, and $40,000 is way above that. I think this means that even if your boss had recorded the call and could play it for the judge, there wasn't a binding contract.

It's like if you go to a used car dealership and they promise some sort of deal with maintenance for your car. If they can show that the value of the good offered verbally exceeds that limit, they're off the hook barring a written contract.

Not that I'm saying the guy wasn't being a jerk, but I do have to say your boss was being a little dumb. Gentleman's agreements are no way to run a business.

Comment

Quoth Finance Gopher View Post
                I believe there is a maximum amount of money/goods/services that can be bound by an oral contract, and $40,000 is way above that.
                Interesting. I just had a look and it seems that limitations of verbal contract come under "statute of fraud" - in the UK the main exception is sale of land, in the USA there are both federal and state versions so it can depend on state.

One nationwide rule is governed by this - and limits all contracts over $500 (amended to $5000, but amendment not ratified by any states) - but it isn't clear that this is actually enforced.

Yeah - I know I'm sad. I really find this stuff interesting.

Victoria J

Comment

I agree Mr. Dips' boss is unlikely to collect. He'll probably end up just selling the gold, taking the loss, and being a little less trusting in the future.

In the long run the SC is going to end up worse off for this. If he wants to buy gold from another friendly local dealer, he's going to have problems. There aren't very many of them and they DO talk to each other.
                  The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

Comment

I love how SCs (particularly the business ones) always forget that. It's like the people who sue doctors for no good reason and then find that every single doctor/dentist/flobotomist in their area is no longer taking on new patients. Or who complain about their financial planner and then can't get help with their 401(k).

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                      Not usually. The moron had a good thing going.
                      Damn, and the dipshit just wasted it! Just.......damn..............

So would I be able to purchase a little bit of that gold? Come to think of it, since I'm currently in the Gemstone Capital of The World I wonder if I can find a gold seller here (likely not).
                      Last edited by RetailWorkhorse; 05-16-2008, 02:01 AM. Reason: Spelling
                      Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

I have a buttload of 12k gold jewelery findings from the 40s and 50s that I don't quite know what to do with. Some of it I'm going to keep and use, but some of the other is....yuck. (And I have strange tastes, so yuck to me is really yuck). There's a gold buyer here in town, but I'm not sure of his reputation, and I don't know what to expect with selling gold. This topic got me thinking: hell, I'll just ask you guys! LOL
                        ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

If the jewelry is intact, it's probably worth more if you sell it as jewelry instead of for the metal content. Always check that option. If pawnshops or vintage jewelry dealers aren't interested and you decide to sell it for metal you want to keep some things in mind.

Find the current price of gold online; it changes constantly. A good source is www.goldprice.org

Weigh it and account for the purity. Pure gold is 24 karat. 12 karat gold is half gold and will be worth half as much per ounce as pure gold.

A dealer will not give you the full value of the metal. They have refining costs and also expect to make some profit when they sell. If they offer you less than 80% of the actual metal value, then you may want to check elsewhere.

I hope that helps.

Comment

Actually, the 80% answer you gave pretty much sums up what I'm looking for. I wasn't sure what a good percentage was, but I knew that I'd be getting a little less because of the refinement. Thanks for that!

And its not complete jewelry, its just bags and bags of findings. Not counting brass/bronze, I'd say about 500 lbs. I also have roughly 2000 lbs of lucite beads......bleh....oh and vintage pop-it beads.
                            ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Quoth zzapp the witch View Post
                              Actually, the 80% answer you gave pretty much sums up what I'm looking for. I wasn't sure what a good percentage was, but I knew that I'd be getting a little less because of the refinement. Thanks for that!

And its not complete jewelry, its just bags and bags of findings. Not counting brass/bronze, I'd say about 500 lbs. I also have roughly 2000 lbs of lucite beads......bleh....oh and vintage pop-it beads.
                              hey there are people who make 40s style jewelry who would love those beads

Comment

Working...
                              X