Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who stole the cookies from the cookie store?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who stole the cookies from the cookie store?

So I recently got a nice new job at a cookie store. It's a pretty sweet job, pun intended.
    Anyway, last week I was working alone and an Indian woman walked up with her children and ordered six cookies. I bagged them up and set them on the counter.

ME: Alright, that will be $2.43, ma'am.
    SC: You take credit cards, yes?
    ME: Yes we do.

She hands me a card, I swiped it through the machine and set it on the counter. Normally when the card machine beeps when the receipt prints, so when I heard the beep, I looked down only to see the card had been declined.

ME: Your card was declined. Do you have another method of payment?

Look up, the woman was walking away with her children.

ME: Hey! You didn't pay for those!

She walked faster.

I yelled for her to come back, and she and her kids took off. Because of the way our store is designed, I'd have to jump the counter if I wanted to go after her, so I couldn't really do anything about it.
    The cute blue haired guy at the jewelry store across the hall took off after the woman for me, but he lost sight of her when she went into one of the department stores.
    I personally don't see the point of robbing a store for such a small amount. If you're going to steal food, it makes more sense to do it from a store that actually sells food and not snacks.
    The nice blue haired guy from across the hall came back empty handed, but I gave him a free cookie for at least trying to help.

I've never really understood petty theft either. If you're going to steal something, make it something that will set you for life.

"What're you in for?"
    "Stealing cookies."
    Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Quoth Apathy View Post
      I've never really understood petty theft either. If you're going to steal something, make it something that will set you for life.

"What're you in for?"
      "Stealing cookies."
      I would love to see how their cellmate would react to that.

But seriously, WTF? Less than $2.50 in cookies? That's not worth the effort!

Oh, Evilauthor, did she leave her card? I don't think you mentioned that. That would have made that even more pointless, since (if you were so motivated) you would have her name and could potentially track her down and charge her with grand theft cookie
      Your true character is who you are when no one is looking.
      --Unknown

Comment

Quoth karath View Post
        I would love to see how their cellmate would react to that.

But seriously, WTF? Less than $2.50 in cookies? That's not worth the effort!

Oh, Evilauthor, did she leave her card? I don't think you mentioned that. That would have made that even more pointless, since (if you were so motivated) you would have her name and could potentially track her down and charge her with grand theft cookie
        Sadly no, she made it off with the card and cookies...However, thanks to the miracle of paperwork, her name was on the receipt that printed out saying her card was declined.
        If they so choose, the home office can go after her for theft.

Comment

Grand theft cookie! That's silly goodness!
          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Geeze, what is the world coming to that people's gotta steal 2 and a half bucks worth of cookies?

Now I want a cookie and I have none. Darn you, Boardsmembers and all your ranting about food (I'm lookin' at YOU, Draggar, and your depression on Cadury Creme Eggs)!
            Last edited by RetailWorkhorse; 05-18-2008, 02:19 PM. Reason: missed an "s"
            Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth EvilAuthor View Post
              What are the chances of that happening?
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Dammit!! Now I want cookies. Wait....I have chocolate chips and flour! Yay, now I have cookies (almost).

In other news, the single most bizarre theft I've seen while stocking HBA is a single razor blade from a package of store brand razor blades. Why steal just one? It's not like its harder to steal the rest.
                The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I personally don't see the point of robbing a store for such a small amount. If you're going to steal food, it makes more sense to do it from a store that actually sells food and not snacks.

You see this sort of behavior all the time in online RPGs. People's reputations in that medium are their most valuable possession, but a lot of people don't get it. So you see petty thefts all the time...in fact, for reasons I've never understood, despite the fact that any theft will wreck your rep, the more petty the theft, the more likely someone is to trash their rep over it. If someone will trash their rep over things they don't really want much, and don't need, what will they do for things they really do want a lot or actually need desperately?

Very few real life thieves weigh the benefits of their crime against the penalties of committing it either.

You can analyze almost any given crime on a cost/benefit basis. If I do X, and the penalty if caught is Y, am I making a profit? 99% of all thieves come out behind minimum wage on this. Rob a store of $1,500 and go to jail for 2-5 years. Assuming minimum sentence and minimum wage, you'd make many times what you stole, even after taxes and expenses, for the number of hours you'll be imprisoned. Or if you do X, and the fine for it is Y, if X < Y, then X is not profitable.

The average thief also puts in more effort to try to beat the system than they do trying to work with it. It's not uncommon to see a thief put in a couple dozen hours of work to steal an amount of money they'd make even at minimum wage in half that time. For example, the guy who dug an underground tunnel into a storage shed, to steal items in the shed worth (collectively) less than he'd have made in the time it took to dig the tunnel (very hard labor), working at minimum wage for Walmart.

Comment

Anyone else hear "who stole the kishka?" when they read this thread or is it just my weirdness?

Has anyone else ever heard that song? It's a polka.
                    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

This is why I always train my people to keep the card in their hand until it goes thru.

Comment

Sadly no, she made it off with the card and cookies...However, thanks to the miracle of paperwork, her name was on the receipt that printed out saying her card was declined.
                        I bet the card is stolen too.

Comment

Quoth Stryker One View Post
                          I bet the card is stolen too.
                          Beat me to it.
                          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

You should have held on to the card to get her name. Thief.
                            It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                            -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

mmmmm...yummy cookie goodness that is white chocolate.........
                              My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

Working...
                              X