Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sightings

Closed Thread

Judged by looks
Old 03-25-2015, 10:09 PM
Cashier

Thumbs down Judged by looks

Went to an outlet Mall with my mom and aunt. We wore typical clothes that you would on vacation (took a two day trip) Jeans, sandals and t-shirts. There were several tour buses there so it was SUPER busy. I noticed they were dressed in nice clothes, slacks etc

My mom took me to my first coach purse outlet store. We were greeted as soon as we walked in and given buy a purse and get fifty percent off. Everybody was super nice and one guy helped us with what the price would be with the fifty and thirty percent off (the clearance items) I had no idea once we went up there to pay that he would get commission. The cashier asked us if anybody helped us and we mentioned the guy and she wrote his name down.

I wish my job worked that way! This wasn't the suck. They were nice even though we weren't wearing our sunday best. And why should we? It's an outlet store.

The store next to it was MK. And right away we were snubbed as we walked in, the lady handing out her card for her commission and a discount paper didn't even look at us. She was RIGHT next to me and refused to greet us. I saw her look at us and turn her nose up as soon as we walked in.

I stared at her for awhile and she finally looked at me and asked how I was doing in a snooty tone. My mom (oblivious to this) asked her if they had a smaller bag in the same style of purse she was looking at. The girl didn't even hesitate and said NO and walked away.

We later found exactly what she wanted and the lady just didn't want to deal with us cuz I guess we looked like we weren't going to buy anything. Though with the prices on those purses I almost fainted. I'm a target/walmart girl but my mom likes coach and MK.

Later a nice salesgirl approached us and took care of us. But still! Sorry we weren't dressed to impress but that shouldn't matter.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:40 PM
Area Manager

One of my best customers back when I worked at Bloomingdales was a young mother of quadruplets that could rarely manage to get out of the house in anything more fancy than sweats. She was the wife of a gazillion dollar an hour surgeon and liked to dress her toddlers in Ralph Lauren and Christian Dior. I could make my monthly sales goals on just her alone.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:46 PM
Grand Poobah

I worked for a car dealership for awhile.

First day of sales training, the sales manager told us a story.

Fella comes into the dealership, looks like he's been sleeping in his coveralls, in a pile of cowshit, for 30-40 years.

None of the sales people would look at him. Sales manager goes over, chats him up a bit. Turns out he's looking for a new pickup. Picks out a new GMC half-ton.

No payment plan, fella just cut a check.

Sales manager told us in clear terms if he caught us ignoring somebody because they "didn't look like they had any money," he'd run us right off the lot.

-- Steven Wright

Old 03-26-2015, 12:11 AM
Escapee

Has no one learned anything from Pretty Woman?

Old 03-26-2015, 12:36 AM
Assistant Manager

My daddy had a story like that. Rancher went into town to update his fleet...5-10 trucks...that commission was nice lol

Old 03-26-2015, 01:18 AM
Area Manager

When I lived in ND it was often said that the poor guys were the ones in the suits and ties, while the guys with the real money were in coveralls and boots.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:19 AM
Unsteady as she goes

Quote:
Quoth Sunshine View Post
My daddy had a story like that. Rancher went into town to update his fleet...5-10 trucks...that commission was nice lol
Yep, back when I used to fill in for the auto ad salesperson, I once called a dealer to get his ads for the week and was told, "He'll call you back. Right now he's with a guy who's buying three cars." It was a Caddy dealership. I told them I'd call back later.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:48 AM
Master of Numbah-Crunching

There was a story over here lately where a lady who just had won approx. 50,000,000$ in a lottery draw went to buy a Merc but got snubbed by a salesman, she went getting a cheap Toyota instead. The owner of the Merc dealership had to eat some crow.

Having said that, I've experienced excellent service at an expensive Porsche/Lambo/Ferrari store in my town. I already stated that we only were to browse (I don't have a car, let alone a driver's license - Lil' Zel is just a petrolhead with a huge interest in cars) and they were more than happy to show us around.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Last edited by NorthernZel; 03-26-2015 at 01:54 AM.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Quoth Anakah View Post
Later a nice salesgirl approached us and took care of us. But still! Sorry we weren't dressed to impress but that shouldn't matter.
It shouldn't. But, some people are just assholes. Occasionally...it comes back and bites them.

1. About 20 years ago, I was starting college. Since I didn't live in that town, I wasn't sure that my ATM card would work at my grandmother's bank. My dad and I walked up to one of the tellers, tried to ask, and immediately caught a major case of 'tude.'

Rather than deal with her, I mentioned that we should see if Mr M. "M" was a senior VP, and had some serious clout at the bank. Grandma knew him, since he handed all of her business. Not surprising, since he was a family friend. So when we went over to his desk...I'm sure that teller was shitting herself I found out later, that he did have some words for her. Basically, you don't fuck with the customer. You don't know who they know, and what you don't know, can get you fired.

2. In 2000, I bought my first new car. I pulled into the lot, in my slightly beat-up '91 Toyota Tercel, walked in...and got an earful. The first salesman I encountered, immediately started droning on about budgets. Seriously asshole? You work on commission, and you're *insulting* a possible customer? He's lucky I liked the car, and that I didn't feel like driving to the other Mazda dealer across town. Still, I did complain, and he tended to kiss my ass when I'd be there for service.

Those are just 2 instances. I was always told that you never judge the customer. You don't insult them either. There are far too many other stores/banks/car dealers/other places that will be more than happy to take someone's money.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:58 AM
Release the Snarken!

Sounds like an art gallery visit I had a couple years ago.

My wife and I were in town for a small sci-fi convention, and found out through a mutual friend that there was a local art gallery that specialized in sci-fi and fantasy art. So we took a few hours off the con to go check it out. Our friend drove in from out of town to meet us there, and one of the other con-goers joined us.

We got there, dressed in what you'd pretty much expect for convention attendees: geek t-shirts and jeans. We barely got through the door, and the gallery owner had snubbed us. Apparently people dressed like us couldn't afford *his* art, and didn't we know that a big name fantasy artist was upstairs doing a sketch and lecture series?

Well, yes, we did. It was one of the reasons we came to the gallery. My wife wanted to talk to him about being the artist guest of honor at the con she runs the art show at. (Didn't get him. Convention timing just never worked out.)

We did manage to make this guy eat some crow, though. While my wife and I can't drop as much on art as we'd like, our friend that drove in to meet us can, and does. A lot. Several thousand dollars a year. Idiot lost a sale there.

Oh, and the big name artist-in-residence? The other con-goer that joined us is an artist in her own right and a friend of his. When she came upstairs, the guest artist stopped his sketch and lecture, stood up and gave her a huge hug. The look on the gallery owner's face was priceless.