Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

"Give me a reimbursement/discount!" (library version)
Old 02-07-2019, 02:31 PM
Area Manager

Default "Give me a reimbursement/discount!" (library version)

The customer was polite and pleasant when I personally was dealing with her, it's just what she wanted that could be considered sucky.

So according to this woman, she'd checked out a book on CD from the library, and one of the CDs got stuck/jammed in her stereo. I don't recall the exact details, but she'd taken the stereo to various places, they weren't able to remove the CD either, and she's now facing having to replace her stereo. And her reason for coming into the library was to explain the situation, and ask about possibly getting reimbursed for the cost of the stereo replacement (or repair).

Why would this be considered sucky? Because on all of our AV materials, there is a green sticker that states the library is not responsible for damage to the customer's equipment. Not to mention that circulation desk staff are NOT authorized to give refunds/reimbursements......that all would have to be done through our Accounting department. (and even then, it's not guaranteed to be approved)

So what I did for this customer was to give her the phone number for our call center, and told her someone there might have more information, or be able to direct her to someone who does.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:54 PM
Chairman of the Board

What was her reaction when told she would have to pay for the CD if she didn't return it?

Old 02-08-2019, 12:47 AM
Cashier

The SC doesn't need a new stereo, she just needs someone who knows what they are doing to get the CD out. This does sometimes involve pulling the device and going in through the back, but it is possible.

I like to listen to library audio books, and always clean the CD/DVD's before use. The stuff I find on them really upsets me. People should use library materials with care, gosh darn it!!!

If the disc was part of a set, the library can't just order the missing disc, they have to order a new set. My library system allows one to purchase a comparable set instead of paying their list price and don't charge a processing fee, which is nice IMO.

I have had 2 different stereos in 2 different cars eat library discs. Once my stereo guy was able to get the disc out from the front, the other time he had to pull the device.

Old 02-08-2019, 05:46 AM
Store Manager

There's a few reasons that a player won't give a disc back, but they're usually related to some failure in the equipment. Parts do eventually wear out/break.
Now as to the timing of WHEN the player decided to stop giving things back... well, it's rare that they ever decide to hold on to our OWN stuff, but something we've borrowed/rented from somewhere. They know, somehow.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:59 PM
Chairman of the Board

Quote:
Quoth Buzzard View Post
Now as to the timing of WHEN the player decided to stop giving things back... well, it's rare that they ever decide to hold on to our OWN stuff, but something we've borrowed/rented from somewhere. They know, somehow.
It must be that hidden feature that reads the fingerprints on the cd. When it sees a new set of fingerprints, it jams.

(Hee, hee, hee. I may have just started a new conspiracy theory.)

Old 02-09-2019, 01:06 AM
Cashier

Quote:
Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
It must be that hidden feature that reads the fingerprints on the cd. When it sees a new set of fingerprints, it jams.
*GASP* You are so right! I've never had a device that has eaten one of MY discs, its always been borrowed discs. It MUST be the new fingerprints!!!

Old 02-09-2019, 02:44 AM
Wut?

Why on earth would the library ever owe someone for a jammed CD? And I bet it wasn't that a business couldn't remove the CD, I bet it was more that she would have to pay for that service.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:45 PM
The Hero CS Deserves

I'm so used to the cupholders optical drives on computers -- this leaves me wondering why the custydoesn't just un-bend a paperclip and stick it in the little manual release hole o_O
"Customers are like van gogh. They intentionally remove their ears when it suits them." TheDangOofMan, Reddit
"Logic: sometimes it's not a thing." - Food Lady

Old 02-09-2019, 05:52 PM
Store Manager

Sadly, with the advancement of gizmos, the majority of optical drives no longer have a spring-loaded ejection, but some form of motor-driven mechanism. The spring-loaded version is much simpler, but it too can find some way to stop functioning. The motor-driven setups... when they fail, usually require careful dissection, or more permanent 'solutions' to get the disc back. (Really, once those start failing, most fixes are just a limp-along patch until something else goes. Best to start looking for the replacement unit)

Old 02-09-2019, 08:42 PM
Ex-Puncher of Tickets

Quote:
Quoth Buzzard View Post
Sadly, with the advancement of gizmos, the majority of optical drives no longer have a spring-loaded ejection...
In 20+ years I don't think a single one of my CD/DVD-ROM drives has ever had a spring release. The pin instead interacted with a panel that forced the usually motorised gears to turn, activating the mechanism to drive the tray out far enough for it to be grasped & pulled the rest of the way. If you were careful, they'd often work properly again afterwards, depending on why it jammed in the first place of course.