This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Food Lady View Post
    I don't know what to call them--geeks, nerds, super-nerds (as my coworker suggested)? I had a shy, akward guy in my line buying some kind of computer something (I don't know; there's a reason I don't work in electronics). He was pretty non-communicative, though not rude. He seemed shy, especially when he slid his card upside down. A minute or two later his friend walked up and he caught him and they were talking while I rang friend up, who handed me the money instead of his soda--facepalm--and suddenly first guy was soooo outgoing and talking fast and excited-like. I heard words I recognized from this board, like "mage" and "sorcerer". Ah, geeks in the wild LOL. I was very quiet, lest I startle them. They were adorable.
    My big guy is like this. He has aspergers and ADHD so he significant difficulties in social interaction and "normal" people. He is a geek and proud of it, since he got his geek tendencies from his parents.

My little guy is a geek as well and has a shirt that says "If you met my family you would understand" which we think of as referring to the whole family being geeks.

I don't allow "normal" people in my home, they upset the balance and atmosphere of the house. Plus, they scare us.
    Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
      Hipster: people who do stuff before it was cool. Usually it's a culture/pretention thing--I was teasing.
      Oh. Yeah. Right. Sorry, I didn't remember that definition of the word.

Quoth Misanthropical View Post
      I don't allow "normal" people in my home, they upset the balance and atmosphere of the house. Plus, they scare us.
      My parents, brother, his wife, and my niece are "normal". My nephew (and me, my husband, my wife) are geek. Yaaah. I fully understand, Mis.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Misanthropical
        QFT. Normal people look at me oddly. Geeks, nerds, freaks, outsiders, etc welcome me. I keep keep saying one of the reasons my boyfriend and I get along is cause we're both odd.
        Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
        Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Yeah >_> The Normals scare me too. I really don't understand them sometimes. Sadly, most of my family members fall under this heading. My brother and his wife are at least Honorary Geeks (meaning, they get my jokes more often than not, and that's good enough for me )
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I know the feeling. I'm just more comfortable with other geeks. Its why I'm so excited about Dragon Con. Surrounded by other geeks for 4 days is great.

Comment

Mmmmmmm, Cooonnn.... It's been so long since I went to any. There used to be a few down here (Numa Rei Con no Con was fun and full of silly people (anime and video games), Exoticon (something completely different)), but they pretty much all died out even before the Big K ambled into town ~_~ I think I went to DragonCon once back in the 80's tho.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                I actually have a t-shirt which says 'normal people scare me'.
                You should add a back print "I scare normal people.". Maybe with a yin-yang below it

Comment

The hubby's family is mostly normal, which makes me feel like an outsider since I am beyond weird.

I am finally just letting my geekier side show through.
                  Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

I'm going to DragonCon as well, third year running

What I find amusing...the internet, which made geeks and the like 'cool', was *made* by them We rescued ourselves!

I worked in retail growing up, so that allowed me to figure out how to properly interact with the poor 'normals', so I'm not as bad in person as some geeks when out in the 'wilds'...Then again, I have fun breaking people's minds on occasion, which helps (Wearing a kilt around in North Carolina gets some fun looks...doubly so when I'm doing it with my toe-shoes )

Comment

I cannot express how jealous I am of those of you going to Dragon*Con. Someday I will make it there and out to ComicCon. I feel bad for poor Mr Jedi. I think he knew I was a geek, but I don't think he quite realized the extent of it until I dragged him to Celebration (Star Wars con). Much squeeing and geeking out was had by me while he just looked on incredulously.
                      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Anyone going to Archon this year?
                        Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

I've never made it to Dragon*con, but I'm about to head off to my thrice-annual gaming convention this weekend. This will be my 21st anniversary attending, with only 1 event missed during that time. And, the best part, I've never paid for my badge. Gotta love volunteering.

I was never a nerd, but always something of a weak geek up through high school. I blame my mom, who got me and my brother started on the video games way back in the late 70's. The best part is that my parents bought the consoles for themselves and we just got to play with them too.

It wasn't until I started attending the local community college and got in with some proper geeks who were also in the archery class (I don't think there was a single norm in that class ) that I really started earning my geek cred beyond the gaming.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

^ Um, what? I thought you were a 20-something!
                            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Heh. I took Middle English Liturature as a elective in college because I thought it would be interesting to read Beowulf and the like in their original text. There were ten people in the class--female except for me. When the proffessor asked everyone's major, the rest were all either Education or English majors. Then he got to me.

Prof: And what about the only male in the class? What major brings you to this class? English, or Education?
                              Me: Um, actually Computer Science.
                              Prof: <looking over his glasses in shock> What are you doing here?

PS- aced the class, too!
                              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I took a semester of Mythology and another of Children's Lit. The origional ends to German fairy tales are violent, as in Goldilocks dies.
                                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                                X