This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After all this discussion of security programs, what I don't get is this:

I don't get why people insist that they don't need security software. I can understand them telling me they don't want my store's techs to install security. That's fine. But why do they claim they don't need it at all? Especially when they're buying a new computer because it's too expensive to clean out all the virus/spyware infections in their current computer.

It's also confusing when they realize that viruses can be a problem but tell me they don't need security because they'll be taking the computer to another country (I've posted about that before) like Mexico. Are there people who really believe that American internet is different from the internet in other countries and that virus/spyware infections can only be contracted in the USA?
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

Comment

Cause the tubes are smaller, so less stuff can get through.
      SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
      SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
        I used to use the free version of AVG, and I installed it on my daughter's old laptop.
        I downloaded it right from their site.
        I had used the free version for years and never had any issues, but about a year ago, she began to get a message every day saying she was using a bootleg version of their software, and telling her to go to their site and buy their original AVG software.
        ??? I wonder if she had some other non-viral spyware installed, as AVG has NEVER in the 6 years I've used it asked me to buy it. Maybe she was confusing the message it was saying a while back that they were no longer supporting a version and you had to go download the newest version (version 7 I believe). I remember my mom was telling me that her AVG was telling her that they will no longer support the Free Edition and you had to go buy it. But what the message said was something akin to "AVG Free Version 6 will no longer be supported as of date X and no more updates will be available for it. Please update to AVG 7"

The only issue I had with AVG didn't effect me. An update would accidentally result in the deletion of a certain system file when the virus scan was done. That deletion would cause an infinite reboot loop - deleting the file would cause the computer to reboot, on boot AVG would detect the file again and delete it, causing a reboot. Fortunately this issue didn't affect me, but AVG handled resolving the issue pretty poorly.

Comment

Hmmm...it definitely said she was using a "bootleg" version.

I even went to their site and downloaded the very latest free one again, but the message still came up.

It's possible she had something spyware related, because it took me ages to clean up her laptop after she got back from college.
          I installed SpyBot and AdAware, as well as the Microsoft antispyware program, but who knows.
          Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
            ...Yeah it is. I can prove it. *goes to desktop* *checks anti-virus*. Yep. AVG Free. x64 Vista. There you go. Not sure what happened when you tried to install it, but I didn't have any issues other than actually *finding* it. I kept getting directed to trial versions and downloabable full versions.
            When I built my PC in March of last year, it said right on Grisoft's site that the free AVG wasn't x64 aware, but the paid versions were. That's why I bought the paid edition. I just looked on Grisoft's site and the free AVG is now x64 aware, so I guess they recently updated it to make it work.

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
              When I built my PC in March of last year, it said right on Grisoft's site that the free AVG wasn't x64 aware, but the paid versions were. That's why I bought the paid edition. I just looked on Grisoft's site and the free AVG is now x64 aware, so I guess they recently updated it to make it work.
              Ah, okay then. Makes more sense now, actually, on multiple fronts. Now, for my next question. And this one's a toughie.

Is it worth the cash?
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Free AV

Computers are my business. If you have a dialup connect AVG free is fine. It's update process is dialup friendly. If you have broadband Try Avira found at:

www.free-av.com

You can schedule weekly scans. The paid version is always top rated by av-comparatives.org. The free version uses the same engine.

Of course the real solution is to move to Linux, but that is another discussion

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                  Ah, okay then. Makes more sense now, actually, on multiple fronts. Now, for my next question. And this one's a toughie.

Is it worth the cash?
                  AVG Internet Security is worth it, everything all-in-one with no system slowdown and a 2 year subscription for the same as Norton.

Comment

I used AVG up until it decided that WoW was a virus. Not a file in WoW, but the game itself. I ended up having to delete both and reinstall WoW. Not fun.
                    Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Someone with more experience with AVG will have to add, but you should be able to tell AVG to ignore WoW.

Comment

Quoth Kyree View Post
                        I used AVG up until it decided that WoW was a virus.
                        I used AVG as well, until it and Steam didn't want to get along. See link here and read #3. I also had to uninstall both and install Steam again. At least I backed up the games first (dial-up).

Now I use the free version of Avast! - I've had some experience with it on my notebook, and it's been running well.

Comment

Lexmark printers are the worst. Canons aren't bad printers, but if you ever lose the CD that came with the drivers on it... well, have fun trying to find the drivers on their website. I usually just google it and see what comes up... and spend another 15 minutes looking for the correct driver off the website. So I have a real aversion to Canon for that reason.

I also have a simple Samsung laser b&w printer, and I love it. I got one for my bf as well so he could have one.

Anti-virus is never perfect. The more popular that software is, the more likely it is to be attacked by viruses et al. Example: Microsoft users get the most viruses. Microsoft clearly dominates the PC field, therefore it will give the most return to people programming viruses as it will infect the most computers. It's not that the Mac operating system is inherently better, just that it's less used and not worth *most* programmers time to find the exploits-- but exploits are certainly still found with all systems. The most important thing is that the company acknowledges the exploits and fixes them right away. (Anyone remember that lovely little trick that Microsoft pulled a few months ago with Adobe? Yes, Microsoft sat there and claimed that there was a vulnerability with Adobe software, but of course Adobe claimed differently. And whaddya know, Microsoft rescinded their statement a few weeks later and fixed their vulnerability with a patch. Tsk tsk.)

So yes, lesser known anti-virus will be better because it won't be attacked like the big boys will be.

And let's not knock the big companies for causing issues with software. There are probably billions (if not more) of combinations of software and whatnot that could be on any one computer at any one point in time. The fact that standard software works so well considering is pretty amazing. No, they aren't perfect, but no software is.

Ok, thing I don't get #7 is people who don't believe in viruses. Yes, I had one guy tell me that he didn't have anit-virus protection because he didn't believe they existed. After I got over the initial shock of that statement, I quickly told him about things like keyloggers, trojans, worms... I explained that personal information could be stolen because of an infected computer... I certainly hope that he listened and changed his mind, cuz that's just scary. Especially since he was a professor with access to confidential student records!
                          Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                          Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                          The Office

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
                            Lexmark printers are the worst.
                            Unless you're on a domain. The magic and spells needed to get an HP printer connected to a printer on the domain is crazy.

Remove from domain
                            Unplug network cable
                            restart
                            delete registry keys
                            change permission on registry keys
                            Stand in bucket of water
                            Turn counter-clockwise while patting your head and rubbing your belly.

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
                              Unless you're on a domain. The magic and spells needed to get an HP printer connected to a printer on the domain is crazy.
                              We use HP printers quite a bit where I'm working, and all we usually have to do is set the IP address (both reserving it on the network and setting the printer itself) and plug it into the network. After that its all adding the printer on the user's PCs. Not sure why you would have to go through so many hoops on yours. Sometimes we have to bounce the printing services on the controller, and once we had to replace the network card on the printer.
                              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Oh, no no no, I'm not talking about putting a printer on the domain. That's not my job.

I'm talking about just locally connecting via USB a printer to a computer connected to the domain.

Comment

Working...
                                X