This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Fawn View Post
    I don't understand how people go into a verbally abusive rant whenever telemarketers call. It is there job and unless your being provoked (ie. like above situation
    Does getting an average of five calls per day count? They're from different companies, but when you get ten times as many telemarketing calls as you do real calls-- but you get enough real calls that you can't afford to miss them-- there are problems.

I was seriously considering getting rid of the landline-- and not getting a cell phone-- just because of the annoyance factor. The DNC list was the best thing to come out of DC in the last couple decades.

Comment

I debated for quite a while about whether or not I wanted to even bother applying for the job. I don't particularly like fussing with telemarketer calls, myself. My wife and I just have our cell phones, and they are registered on the Do Not Call List.

However, I never could see getting rude with the telemarketers whenever they did call on me before I signed up for the list. I just simply heard them out, told them I wasn't interested, and tried to let it go at that. I really am a nice guy to those who don't provoke me. If they got pushy about trying to sell me after that, I just simply told them again that I wasn't interested, and "click" hung up. I'm not one to get rude with people unless they are being jerks, then I can get a nasty attitude in return.

I'm finding myself to be the soft sell type of telemarketer, probably softer than what my company will like because I know how I would feel receiving the call. I'm approaching it from the perspective of pitching as much of the information as they are willing to hear, then using the scripts to formulate seemingly appropriate rebuttals. I really don't like trying to come up with rebuttals even though I can be stubborn when I feel the need to argue. I prefer to pick my arguments, though, and save my energy for the ones that won't end like a typical telemarketing call.

I figure that I've done my best if I can at least get them interested enough to talk to me, even if they don't buy. That doesn't help me reach quota, I know, but it does help me to feel encouraged if they'll at least listen and show some interest in talking to me. Then, I can turn it over to a more experienced coworker or supervisor who will help me if I do get stuck. I still get credit toward my quota even if I turn it over to actually seal the deal. The good thing is that we work in teams. I don't know if every place does that, but it does seem to be a positive and encouraging environment. I like that.

I guess the bottom line is that I'm making the effort by following their methods and scripts as learned in training to the best of my ability. Today was officially my first full day on the call floor. Last week was training, but we did have time on the floor Thursday and Friday. I can't expect it to come overnight, but I am the worry wart perfectionist type when it comes to my job because I do take work seriously. Sometimes, I actually try too hard to be perfect, and put undue stress on myself. I've been like that since I was in school even though I generally made high grades. I guess that's why I've been able to develop pretty good relationships with most of my teachers in school or supervisors in the workplace. As long as I know what's expected of me, I'm the type to go and get it done. I'm just worrying about what could happen if I fall short of quota because sales ultimately depends on the customer's willingness to buy, and people are fickle creatures who follow their whims.

So far, I've made no actual sales, but I have talked several customers as far as being willing to give me their shipping information. They balked at the point of actually giving a credit card, and I worked best I could to overcome that one. That was the point at which I called on the assistance of a supervisor or more experienced coworker. One customer was willing to give that credit card information, too, but the card was declined. The supervisor did give me some words of encouragement after that one by commenting that I was at least getting them that far. She could tell I was a little frustrated even though I was trying not to show it after several times of getting so close, but still not there. It was only the first full day, though. Another plus, one of my coworkers who was sitting beside me today made a comment to the supervisor that I had a good phone voice, and was sounding very professional and serious when talking with customers. That did make me feel better, but making at least one sale would be just awesome.
      The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

I've always had a silent (unlisted) phone number so I haven't been bothered by telemarketers.

At work when they call, they're usually from India and I can't understand what they're saying, so I just hang up as soon as I hear the voice.

But I suggest you just have some fun with them. Do you spiel even if they're screaming at you and when you're done, disconnect. If you're a little sensitive, it will teach you to have a thicker skin which will absolutely help you in any other job you go to.

I reckon if you can survive being a telemarketer or call centre person, you can survive in any job.
        Total surrender
        Your touch is so tender
        Your skin is like water on a burning beach
        And it brings me relief
        "Nails in My Feet" - Crowded House

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
          However, non-profits and charities are still allowed to call you, but at least it protects you from like 9 out of 10 solicitation calls.
          And don't for get political candidates! They can still call you too....and boy, do they! It actually got amusing on the day of the last Presidential election. I had voted earlier in the day (to avoid the rush since our state got the bright idea to go back to paper ballots and ditch our nice electronic machines). Well, I got home around 7pm and had a total of, I think, 45 calls....all from candidates for this or that. I even got one from some idiot in Colorado about some race up there??!

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
          Actually, I'm almost dead certain that legally they cannot call at all you once you tell them not to. You can sue them for one violation per call after telling them. However, the likelihood that you will win probably won't be great until after multiple calls.
          Too bad we didn't have this when I had get, how shall I put this, um, "firm" with the Police Athletic League. They called me three nights in a row. Third night, I got 2 calls from 'em. Even after telling them the first night to take me off their list!
          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

See, that's what I just do not get.

Think about it. Charities and politicians can ignore the Do No Call list. However, if you are on the list, what is the likelihood that you want to be bothered by ANYONE? Does it pay to call people that in all likelihood are going to be annoyed by the call?

I mean, I know it's legal, but how is it smart?

Comment

Quoth Jewels View Post
              When I was a telemarketer, the dark twisted and evil side of me loved it when people would flip out and yell and scream at me about how they didn't want to hear what I had to say...but yet refused to hang up.
              MOD EDIT - Please edit quotes. We already read this post and don't really need to read it again.
              This post explains why people wish telemarketers would all die painful deaths.

You're continuing with your spiel even though the person you're bothering is getting increasingly upset?

I rarely get telemarketing calls any more but when I do, I say no thanks, please put my name/number on your do-not-call list and hang up. That's what's easiest and least stressful to my mood.

Occasionally I'd toy with them, indicating I was interested in what they were peddling to keep the call going, asking them to wait . . . and wait . . . and wait while I found my credit card and all the rest.

Now I'm just too busy and I hate having my time wasted.

Sorry, but I have no sympathy for telemarketers who complain that people aren't exactly happy when they answer their phone and find out who is calling.
              Last edited by Ree; 07-19-2007, 09:55 PM.

Comment

On the day of my dad's funeral my mom picked up the phone without looking at the caller ID and it was a telemarketer. She always tries to be polite so she said " I'm sorry I cannot talk to you, I am on my way to my husband's funeral" the telemarketer kept talking and pestering her, my mom goes "okay, I'm hanging up" the telemarketer goes "I hope you have a WONDERFUL day!" yea..that may be another reason they get a bad name. However, I am sure that most telemarketers are not like that and are just trying to make a living.

Comment

Quoth Auto View Post
                  This post explains why people wish telemarketers would all die painful deaths.

You're continuing with your spiel even though the person you're bothering is getting increasingly upset?
                  Ok. Just read what you wrote there, and then sit back, and put yourself in a telemarketer's shoes. Unless they're masochists, they're normal people like you and I, trying to make ends meet. Of course they don't enjoy having people yell at them and curse them unto the seventh generation! Nine times out of ten, they HAVE to stay on because MANAGEMENT (in all it's wisdom), decided that you have get X amount of refusals before you can let the call go.

It's the same as assuming the poor cashier that is offering you a store card repeatedly is doing it for shits and giggles. She's doing it because management has made it a rule that you keep pushing, else you get a write-up/talking to/no pony rides.

If they carry on calling you once you've said "Don't call me, put me on the No call list" then, by all means, ask for a supervisor and rip into them. I was being harrassed by a gym with their marketing offers, and I had requested in writing that they stop calling me. However, they persisted. I was not rude to the people calling me, since they are simply doing their jobs, and it is not their fault that management doesn't pass information on.

Just my 2c...
                  The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Big difference between telemarketers and cashiers:

I am entering the cashier's place of business and therefore must subject myself to whatever is going on in said place. Presumably I am welcome there as advertising and whatnot has basically invited me in.

Telemarketer is entering my private home uninvited and therefore must subject themselves to whatever mood I happen to be in. No reason for them to presume they are welcome.

Not saying it's right or good to curse them out, just saying they kind of have to know what kind of reception they are likely to get when they take the job. It just comes wth the territory, and that's just how it is.

Comment

I have a cell phone, no land line, and thus don't get telemarketing calls, outside of headhunters that have found my resume on Monster or something.

When I did get calls. They had 10 seconds to give me their spiel. After that, I'd say no thanks and hang up. If they continued their spiel for over ten seconds, I'd just hang up on them mid sentence.

Comment

I spent several months as a telemarketer before getting my current retail job. At the time, making sales calls seemed preferable to working various temp jobs of random length... and it did help prepare me for the abuse and idiocy I put up with now.

A few words of advice: Always try to have a plan B.

My telemarketing stint was at a center that ran a quasi-legal charity scam, soliciting subscribers for magazines and donating a tiny amount of each sale to a national organization that tries to strengthen drunk driving penalties. It was legal because we told potential subscribers exactly how much of their subscription price went to the group - 5%, as I recall. Since that was part of the script, most of the people I'd call would think for a second, do the math, and conclude that it was a rip-off. "I support the cause, but I'd rather donate directly to them, thanks."

I stuck it out for as long as I could, since the job paid more than the others available would have... and when I was hired in, I made it a point to ask my interviewer if I would have to meet any quotas - having no sales experience, I didn't want to even try calling if I'd get canned for not reaching daily or weekly sales goals. She smiled and told me I wouldn't have to worry about that.

Eventually, though, I discovered that these people would say anything to get more bodies on the terminals... and that the quotas were indeed a reality. I was given the option of voluntarily quitting, or being fired, all because I couldn't con people into ordering more magazines after they'd already maxed out their credit cards for holiday gifts and other crap they didn't need. I did what I was supposed to, reading as much of the script as the people would allow, and I never freaked out on anyone, even when they cursed and screamed at me.

So, work the phones for as long as you can stand it (or as long as they let you), try to get something better lined up for when you can't deal any longer, and always remember that whatever you say is being listened to by the bosses at these jobs. Good luck!

Comment

A funny and flattering update, the assistant manager at the c-store where I worked prior to taking the telemarketing job has called and left a message three times today asking me to come back. I left on good terms, but the manager said she convinced the district manager to offer me a 75-cent raise if I'm willing to go back. She even mentioned going back to him to ask for more if that would make an immediate difference. Good help is hard to find around here, but the company is not going to go overboard. They might budge a little farther, but probably not by much. I know that already. I parted on good terms strictly on the basis of the money, so it's always a possibility. I gave two weeks notice, and so forth. I did go in and talk to her in person about it. The end result of the conversation is the same as when I left for the telemarketing job, I'm going to give this a chance now that I'm there. If it does go badly, then I'll most likely go back to the c-store and ask for a rehire. I did tell her I'd keep her posted so that we could make things happen quickly if I wanted to return. The only exception would be if I left the telemarketing job for something even better than I expected.

What's funny is that several of the stores regular customers were asking me where I'd been for the last week. Several of them were disappointed to learn that I'd found a different job. It was flattering to know that some people do appreciate the work the clerk does.

By the way, I did make my first sale today, so I'm happy about that. I guess we'll see how it goes. I stumble through some of the objections and feel like I've done well offering solutions to others. It's already seeming somewhat easier to continue making the effort in the face of most resistance. I've been following the coaching of my supervisors to the best of my ability, and comparing notes with some of the more helpful experienced coworkers and a couple of friends who have had telemarketing experience.
                          The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Congrats on the sale.

I had a very short stint as a telemarketer (I made the 2-week training period, but never went back after).

I managed to make a single sale while still in the training room. It was a real ego boost.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                              Ok. Just read what you wrote there, and then sit back, and put yourself in a telemarketer's shoes. Unless they're masochists, they're normal people like you and I, trying to make ends meet.

MOD EDIT - Please edit quotes. We already read this post and don't really need to read it again.
                              i think you need to reread the post i was responding to.

it was saying to go ahead and enjoy the fun of tormenting folks who are upset that a telemarketer is bothering them.

sorry, but i got problems with that kind of fun.

and i don't care that telemarketers are just hardworking folks doing their jobs as management tell them.
                              Last edited by Ree; 07-19-2007, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the congratulations, Andara. I made another sale today. I'm happy about that because it is a sense of accomplishment. Even so, I'm questioning whether this type of work is really right for my personality. I keep wavering between pessimism and optimism. I've received several pep talks from my family and friends outside of work and new coworkers at work to keep me going.

I don't take joy in tormenting people who are bothered by telemarketers, but I think people who get rude and nasty about it are out of line. If I knew who'd be receptive, I would only call those people. All they have to say is that they are not interested, and leave it at that. They can hang up if they don't wish to continue the conversation. There is no reason for the rude, obnoxious behavior of some, even if they didn't solicit the call. That's just stupidity talking, then. If I don't want to be bothered, I just don't bother answering the phone. Then again, I have caller ID on my cell phone, so I can pick which calls to accept and which calls to ignore. If it troubles them that much to be called, then they should sign up for the Do Not Call List or asked to be removed from the list if they keep getting calls repeatedly. It's been trying to bite my tongue to keep from telling some of the worst ones where to go and how to get there.

On the bright side, I do have some fun coworkers who seem to pick up on when to help lighten the mood with some kind of crazy antic. I have certainly learned just how thick-skinned some telemarketing veterans really must be. Well, I'll get used to it, though. I mean, after all, I spent many a shift working alone at the c-store through all kinds of craziness and managed to keep a fairly cool, level head. I guess it's just actively trying to nudge the customer into a sale that makes the difference in my personal stress level. Another good thing is that I don't have to see the faces of the ones who are jerks. It's almost like they cease to exist once the call is done.

I have decided to follow up on some outstanding applications and resumes, and continue putting out more in search of better offers. That should be an ongoing process anyway. I've also got the offer of returning to my old job at the c-store for a better pay rate. My former manager is chomping at the bit for me to come back. The assistant manager was practically jumping up and down when I stopped in last night to talk to her about the messages the manager left on my voice mail. We'll see what happens next.

Comment

Working...
                                X