This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth purplecat41877 View Post
    Determining that someone is a shoplifter is not based on looks. A shoplifter is determined based on the way s/he acts.
    Actually, no. A shoplifter is determined based on whether or not he/she STEALS.

Quoth myswtghst View Post
    I dress in my own style, which tends to reflect my mood on a given day--it ranges from punk to prep.
    And that spawns yet another story.

In high school (at least, in my 3rd high school--I went to 3--my parents moved a lot), I hung out with the stoners/headbangers. Often I dressed like them, though rarely wore a denim jacket, and never owned a leather jacket or spiked bracelets (or any jewelery really). So one day I am hanging out at "the curb" (where the stoners hung out) dressed in my ripped jeans and concert shirt. The next day, I show up at the curb wearing nice jeans, a nice Ferrari t-shirt, and a nice windbreaker (Members Only style, but without being Members Only brand). A friend of mine looked at me and asked, "Jester, are you confused? What are you? Are you a prep, or are you a stoner?" I looked her dead in the eye and said, "Darlin', I'm just Jester."

And that, my friends, was the end of THAT!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

I think regional differences come into it a lot too, as around here, it is people on Harleys and choppers that are the nice polite drivers and people on "crotch rockets" are "generally" the dangerous jerks.

As for the girl in the OP, that's awesome. Completely cool.
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth karma_gypsy View Post
        The folks who do own the Harley's seem to be pretty snobby and have a tendency to look down upon foreign made bikes (granted, some are nice, but they are few).
        I've had that reaction too. Most, not all, Harley owners are posers. You know the type...mild-mannered accountant by day, tough biker on weekends. Maybe they're upset that a "rice rocket" has a smaller engine, yet puts out twice the power?
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

My theory on the punk group and why they tend to be nicer: They're comfortable with themselves.

When you dress punk, you can expect a ton of ridicule from the "normal" people, so you have to care only what you like about how you look. When you dress preppy or like a jock, you get an image you need to maintain so that people love and look up to you, so you can't be yourself, so a common outlet for that frustration is to take it out on the people who dress different. This is my theory, couid be right, could be wrong, and obviously it doesn't apply to every single example from either group.
          Pretend there's something here that sounds insightful, but is really just some pseudo-intellectual bull.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
            Maybe they're upset that a "rice rocket" has a smaller engine, yet puts out twice the power?
            No, it's a difference in attitude. You go riding to ride, not to go fast. Those who ride those super sport bikes didn't buy them to "cruise and enjoy the ride" but to "go as fast as hell".

Personally, can't stand Harleys. I don't like bikes that "shake and rumble", no need for a bike to sound like the engine about to fall off either. Because Harleys "shake and rumble", it's my personal belief that all Harley riders are females or males wishing they're female

:runs from all the Harley owners:
            I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Of course we hate being stereotyped-- it's one of the most dehumanizing things one person can do to another. Basically it's saying "you're more like a cardboard cutout than a human being, I know all about you just by looking at you." I'm sure 'Jocks' and Cheerleaders don't like being stereotyped either.

That said, I've been friends with punks, goths, jocks, cheerleaders, losers, preps, cops, business people, and homeless people. And all I can say is, it's a really good idea to take people on a one-by-one basis. NOBODY is ever really what you expect.
              What a wonderful thing humanity is-- passionate, intelligent, inquisitive, generous, fully of hope and joy, noble of spirit, and above all... delicious! -- LaCroix

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                Maybe they're upset that a "rice rocket" has a smaller engine, yet puts out twice the power?
                It's not the size that counts, it's how you build it.

Comment

Quoth Skrae View Post
                  My theory on the punk group and why they tend to be nicer: They're comfortable with themselves.

When you dress punk, you can expect a ton of ridicule from the "normal" people, so you have to care only what you like about how you look. When you dress preppy or like a jock, you get an image you need to maintain so that people love and look up to you, so you can't be yourself, so a common outlet for that frustration is to take it out on the people who dress different. This is my theory, couid be right, could be wrong, and obviously it doesn't apply to every single example from either group.
                  You know, that's a pretty good theory. I was never a goth or a punk (I'm too old) but I WAS a metalhead about 20 years ago. Ripped, skintight jeans, chains, boots, leather, wild 80's teased hair (I miss my wild, teased hair.) with unnatural streaks, etc. I really liked dressing like that. I felt very comfortable in my skin that way. (even when I dressed up nicely, which I frequently did, I often kept the wild hair. Hey, it was the 80's.)

Makes me wonder if that sort of dress is like wearing armor against the accepted mode of appearance. I mean, I didn't have to worry what the "norm" thought about my clothes, as I was not playing by their rules. I was doing a very good job of playing by mine, though. And I knew I liked how I looked.

Comment

My parents used ride a motorcycle - a burgandy Gold Wing to be precise. They had the matching jackets and helmets and were members of the GWRRA. If anybody was frightened of two middle aged, burgandy wrapped bikers they have a problem.
                    Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

There's a website that explains how to spot a shoplifter suspect. Here is the link.
                      My Fanfic Page
                      My Fiction Page
                      My Social Group
                      My Pet Social Group
                      My You Tube Channel

Comment

My only style is "comfortable". In the spring/summer/as much of autumn as I can get away with I live in shorts. In the winter I live in denim. -.-

I've noticed too that REAL bikers, the Harley non poser type, are nicer then the majority of well dressed types. Whenever I see them they're always polite ( especially to the elderly ). Funny part is they always look scary as all hell but old ladies around here never seem to be afraid of them. ;p

On the other hand the crotch rockets and racer types ( You know, 10 grand in mods into making a Honda Civic look "cool" ) around here tend to be either dicks or so blatantly posing its kind of sad to watch.

I *like* the sort of goth / rock look ( Which you see on the girls at the desk at HMV here. ). I find it curiously attractive because its striking, different and interesting. I mentally divide what people label as "goth" into goths and the emo goths. The latter group is the one that drives me crazy. You know, the knee high black boots, fish net, black dress 3 sizes too small, spiked collar, dyed black hair that looks like it was chewing on by small animals and make up that would do KISS proud. They have their own My Space page to showcase their poetry about death on while they whine about how much their life sucks.

Those ones drive me crazy. ;p

Comment

Oddly enough, my only contact with such emo goths was actually quite positive; they were friendly and nice and, yeah, it's just about being comfortable in one's own skin.

This, and the talk about motorcycles, makes me want to read "Kamikaze Girls" again. ^_^
                          "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

I am surprised you didn't tell that old bag that the store doesn't judge people based on how they are dressed. I would have been like, "ma'am, this store doesn't discriminate against people who dress differently, grow up". I am serious though. How would she like it if I "profiled" her?

Comment

I said I was labled goth; not that I considered myself one. I've always called myself a "Spooky Kid" or "Mansonite" in defiance of that old assumption that if you dress in black, gothic style clothes you must be goth. I also mix in hair metal style clothes, and high street; so not sure why I still get the goth label. My hair's not black, after all; right now, it's red with blonde streaks on the front, like Rogue out of X-men.
                              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                              My DeviantArt.

Comment

I tend to follow the old rule of wearing clothes you picked first. Of course, my copious supply of hawaiian shirts are amsuing for new people, leading to my recent comment of, "This is the shirt of a man who doesn't care."

I'm seriously thinking of going to work in a dress and seeing if anyone blinks.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                                X