Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why your employees hate your guts.....

I found this link on another board. the author is (from other posts on her blog) a commentator for Minnesota Public Radio among other things.. Enjoy her rant

http://moiramanion.blogspot.com/2010...uts-1-its.html

and she like classic Dr Who.
    Last edited by Racket_Man; 03-13-2010, 09:04 AM.
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Loved it!

Mike
    Meow.........

Comment

Those invisible pink unicorns are just so sweet.
      Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

Awesome article. She definitely hits the nail on the head.

Too bad nobody of import will pay attention to it. Unless everyone making under $12 an hour takes a week off..

Eric the Grey
        In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
          I found this link on another board. the author is (from other posts on her blog) a commentator for Minnesota Public Radio among other things.. Enjoy her rant

http://moiramanion.blogspot.com/2010...uts-1-its.html

and she like classic Dr Who.
          Glanced over it, and it looks good. I do wonder, is non-monetary compensation just as good as being paid better, ie ifn you work at a grocery store, is it better to get paid more, or get a discount on your groceries above and beyond what others get?

And as to classic Dr Who, who wouldn't? BTW, Pertwee is the best.
          Seph
          Taur10
          "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth Javarod View Post
            Glanced over it, and it looks good. I do wonder, is non-monetary compensation just as good as being paid better, ie ifn you work at a grocery store, is it better to get paid more, or get a discount on your groceries above and beyond what others get?
            I think it's nice to be acknowledged every once in a while but a plaque means nothing when they suddenly forget that when it's time to increase your raise.
            How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth Javarod View Post

And as to classic Dr Who, who wouldn't? BTW, Pertwee is the best.
              It's addressed in the article and uses that pyramid of needs thing to illustrate the point.

If the worker can't afford the basics of living and setting some aside, if they basically cannot survive, a pat on the back doesn't mean much and certainly won't help. Doing a "good job" is no comfort when you're trying to decide whether to pay your car insurance or electricity.
              "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Just read it...it's great. It's scares me how many exec's will call that news.
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post
                  It's addressed in the article and uses that pyramid of needs thing to illustrate the point.

If the worker can't afford the basics of living and setting some aside, if they basically cannot survive, a pat on the back doesn't mean much and certainly won't help. Doing a "good job" is no comfort when you're trying to decide whether to pay your car insurance or electricity.
                  Nods, "In a way though that's my point, the pyramid sort of covers it, i'll have to read it fully, but it didn't seem to address what if your employer instead of paying you more, makes essentials less expensive, like the grocery store you work in giving you a better price for food than they give to the customers. Surprisingly i haven't seen many occurrences of this, and yet i would think it'd be more cost effective for an employer than paying more.
                  Seph
                  Taur10
                  "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth Javarod View Post
                    Nods, "In a way though that's my point, the pyramid sort of covers it, i'll have to read it fully, but it didn't seem to address what if your employer instead of paying you more, makes essentials less expensive, like the grocery store you work in giving you a better price for food than they give to the customers. Surprisingly i haven't seen many occurrences of this, and yet i would think it'd be more cost effective for an employer than paying more.
                    But groceries are only a small part of anyone's budget, so it's cost effective in that it wouldn't help the employees much. If someone bought $400 of groceries a month and got a 20% discount on everything, that'd only be an extra $80 a month, equivalent to a $.50 raise for full time.
                    "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

the pay thing is what bugged the crap outta me when I worked for the fast food places.

OHHHH we are giving you a $0.10 an hour raise because you did SUCH an excellant job this last year.
                      Hmmmm let us do the math
                      (numbers are rounded up or are a nice round number to make the math eaiser)
                      assume a 40 hour work week
                      40 hours * 10 cents an hour = $4.00 per week
                      $4 * 52 weeks in the year = $208 more per year gross pay

NOW that does not take into account the Fed., SS/Medicare, State, and local taxes. AND the fact that most of us will not see a true 40 hour work week your milage will vary (lower than $4 a week extra)

Yeah right that REALLY motivates me esp even in this day and age. NOT
                      Last edited by Racket_Man; 03-15-2010, 06:13 AM.
                      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

In the piece after this one she addresses a piece of outraged email by a manager who says employees don't hate their managers. She sites this site as a source of "read up on what you are talking about."

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
                          In the piece after this one she addresses a piece of outraged email by a manager who says employees don't hate their managers. She sites this site as a source of "read up on what you are talking about."
                          I don't exactly follow. Could you explain what you mean?

Ok, I took a look at it. Makes perfect sense now. Nevermind.
                          http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/100130
                          Melody Gardot

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                            the pay thing is what bugged the crap outta me when I worked for the fast food places.

OHHHH we are giving you a $0.10 an hour raise because you did SUCH an excellant job this last year.
                            Hmmmm let us do the math
                            (numbers are rounded up or are a nice round number to make the math eaiser)
                            assume a 40 hour work week
                            40 hours * 10 cents an hour = $4.00 per week
                            $4 * 52 weeks in the year = $208 more per year gross pay

NOW that does not take into account the Fed., SS/Medicare, State, and local taxes. AND the fact that most of us will not see a true 40 hour work week your milage will vary (lower than $4 a week extra)

Yeah right that REALLY motivates me esp even in this day and age. NOT
                            I was infuriated a few years back after a performance review from my manager. Now our annual pay raise was based on this review, which the manager did herself and thus got to decide how much more everyone would get. It used a points system and the more points you got, the bigger the raise.

50 points (the average score for an employee who performed to a satisfactory level but didn't stand out in any area) was a threshold score for a raise of 0.40/hr

What do you think my manager did? She gave me a 49.

A FORTY NINE!

She tried to play it like there was one area that I was not doing as well as I should be in (which was complete BS, because my assistant manager constantly told me my numbers were right on par considering I hadn't been with the company long).

I often wonder if someone above my manager, her regional manager or something, had told her to do the review that way to keep me from getting that raise.
                            "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                              I often wonder if someone above my manager, her regional manager or something, had told her to do the review that way to keep me from getting that raise.
                              Of course, a bigger raise for you means less bonus for the higher-up's. And we all know who gets taken care of first...

Comment

Working...
                              X