This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Postal

So I kind of took a hiatus for awhile there. I moved 1500 miles and found the process of getting a job in a new place to be very frustrating. I got a bit depressed and anti-social, but everything is good now. Aside from the whole being unemployed thing, I'm really enjoying living in a place that actually has normal weather cycles and actual scenery (OMG mountains ). And after the extremely slow hiring process that took almost 2 months, I finally have a job again! Sadly, I don't think I'll be able to share any stories due to the nature of my job. I'm now do data entry for the Post Office, which I don't think will leave much room for discussion. Aside from like, atrocious handwriting and the alarming number of people who have no clue how to properly address an envelope. Basically, post offices put all the mail into machines that sort and scan envelopes and address labels. The scanners read the addresses and print those little barcodes on the mail, which they use for faster sorting to the right delivery offices for faster and earlier mail service. If the computer can't read an address for whatever reason, it sends the image to one of the encoding centers (of which I am working at the only one that will still be operating in the US within the next 6 months, the other location is closing sometime next year). Data conversion operators (like me) see the image on their screens and key in whatever information the system needs in order to route it to the proper location. So of course, I get all the mail that's been mangled or written in unreadable glitter pen or has no useable address information (seriously, some people address things with a person's name, an intersection close to where they live, and a city with no ZIP code).

I have learned some interesting things about the postal service and how the mail works. Basically, if you want something to reach its destination, write legibly in black ink. I'm in my second week of training but am now keying actual mail instead of samples from the 20 year old training system (USPS receives no Federal funding, so they aren't very state-of-the-art). And this is December, which means I've already seen a ton of Christmas cards. The scanners that send us the images are probably ancient. We only get low-res black and white images. And they can only handle a small file size, so larger address labels simply stop scanning at a certain point and we have to tell the system to rescan them. They also hate glitter, colored ink, pencil, and mail where someone thought it would be cute to draw stuff all over it. And if the system can't read it and I can't read it, it gets rejected, where either the local post office will try to decipher it or it will wind up getting returned to sender (which is a separate system I also do). Also, apparently a lot of people like to print the address on their envelopes with printing software, and their favorite appears to be this font that basically creates an "etched" look. It looks like shading that has the address in white like it's been etched out. Seriously, don't use this. At all. It probably looks pretty, but for our system it sucks and it's totally unreadable and I've had to reject several of them because of that. So yeah, I've had a ton of Christmas cards that the system flagged as return to sender (from the same person) and it sucks because they'll have to re-send readable versions of the envelopes.

Speaking of Christmas mail, my icy heart melts every time I get a letter from a child addressed to "Santa Claus, North Pole." The postal service actually has a ZIP code we are to use for "Santa mail," so they actually do go somewhere and it's freaking adorable.

I am also stunned at how many businesses I wind up keying "return to sender" information because they either have terrible printers or because they seem to have no idea how to put mail in an envelope so that the recipient's address is in the little window in the front. Especially really important things like, say, employee paychecks. Ditto for courts sending out notices for court dates and jury duty (seriously, I had over 2 dozen jury duty notices get returned to the same courthouse because the addresses were completely illegible).

I am equally stunned at how many post office employees put mail in the machines backwards, upside-down, or overlapping another piece of mail (seriously, they could take an extra 2 seconds to do it right). Because those have to be instantly flagged as misfed, and they'll be put in a bin to be re-fed into the machines the proper way. Yeah, even if I can read an address, if it's upside-down I am not allowed to key it in (except for the return to sender program, which actually allows me to rotate the image).

Like I said, I won't really have any more "stories" to share of the sucky variety, but after 15 years of working places where it was basically my job to be screamed at and abused, a nice, quiet office job is a lovely change of pace. But I can probably rant about common errors in mailing things and share obscure things about how the mail works here in Off Topic
    "You are loved" - Plaidman.

I'm glad you have a new job. And sorry; as a kid I totally wrote all over envelopes. As for
    (seriously, some people address things with a person's name, an intersection close to where they live, and a city with no ZIP code).
    I don't even.....
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Well, it's cute when kids do it. I had one that someone decided to decorate with polka-dots for some odd reason. And of course, there are the letters from prison that have elaborate drawings all over the front and you can't read the address. Yeah, those get rejected even if you can read the address, because there's no place for the system to put the barcode where it would be scannable.

I had one that was addressed to "Unknown City." We are required to key the mail exactly as it was addressed by the sender, even if it's misspelled or has something bizarre like that. So I actually had to key "Unknown City" in the city/state. It's annoying sometimes, especially with mail to the UK. Because I can't just use "UK" as the foreign country code, I have to use "UK," "United Kingdom," "England," "Britain," "Great Britain," or however else it's addressed depending on which one the sender decides to use. Even though they all go to the same place. Conversely, the exception to this is state abbreviations. Regardless of whether the state is abbreviated, shortened, or written out, we always use the abbreviation no matter what. It's all in how the computer reads the codes, and I'm still getting used to keying it the way the system wants. I rarely key the full address, it's basically the numbers in the street address, then the first 3 letters of the first word in the street name plus the first letter of the last word in the street name. I am not keying addresses, I am keying data that translates into computer code. So it's nice when all the system needs from me is the ZIP code.

Comment

Welcome to the USPS and welcome to my hell. Not ALL rejected letters actually get rejected. Some of them go through the system again and get the zip code entered so it gets to "hopefully" the right address. Seen one of the ones yet where the address is only readable if it's about ten feet away? Wish I could take a picture of that one cause it's hard to explain.

The polka dots are most likely from one of the companies that like doing that. They aren't so bad after you get used to them. What erks me is the people who use the decorated address labels and don't make sure to follow the directions on placement. The name and number are usually truncated thankfully I've only had to send one back as UAA.

Comment

Quoth Kara View Post
          Speaking of Christmas mail, my icy heart melts every time I get a letter from a child addressed to "Santa Claus, North Pole." The postal service actually has a ZIP code we are to use for "Santa mail," so they actually do go somewhere and it's freaking adorable.
          We have one of those down here as well. Even better...if you put your address on the back and you live in Australia, you'll even get a reply

They even do this in classrooms as well: if you send out a list to the post office with the students addresses, the kids will actually get a reply before the end of the term. Given that the end-of-term dates vary between schools and states, it's absolutely adorable.

From a teacher standpoint, I actually find this awesome because it teaches kids how to write a letter full stop. I'm even contemplating doing this as an activity for work since all the kids are OBSESSED with writing to Santa (and it even fits one of the outcomes at work we're supposed to be meeting which looks at kids becoming a citizen)
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Kara View Post
            I am equally stunned at how many post office employees put mail in the machines backwards, upside-down, or overlapping another piece of mail (seriously, they could take an extra 2 seconds to do it right). Because those have to be instantly flagged as misfed, and they'll be put in a bin to be re-fed into the machines the proper way.
            All they gotta do is the "tap test", iirc ^_^ Be nice if they would. I used to have a job at a print shop where knowing *precisely* how to set up mass mailings to conform to USPS standards was a requirement...I even had to know how to translate those barcodes into English.

So, it frustrates me when I see stuff sent out from anywhere else I've worked with that breaks the rules. I know there is more leeway with FirstClass mail, but I still do my best to make sure they're mailable as-is
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Kara View Post
              (seriously, some people address things with a person's name, an intersection close to where they live, and a city with no ZIP code).
              My stepfather does this. Somehow, it manages to get to us.
              They also hate glitter, colored ink, pencil, and mail where someone thought it would be cute to draw stuff all over it.
              I confess I used to do this at summer camp Although, I was eight.

The nonprofit I sometimes do work for (stuffing envelopes) has a lot of CEOs/other important people on their mailing list, and the address as printed has assorted titles and other alphabet soup that can have an address run into six--sometimes seven--lines. Which doesn't all fit in the standard window envelope, so those letters have to be folded Just So in order to get them readable.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Kara View Post
                ...(OMG mountains )...
                ... on one side of the road there was a mountain.
                On the other side of the road there was ... nothing. Just a cliff in the air...

You're not in Kansas anymore, for sure.

Ready to slip-slide into work on the snow?
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                  My stepfather does this. Somehow, it manages to get to us.
                  That's cause of your letter carrier.

Comment

Quoth Kara View Post
                    I'm now do data entry for the Post Office...(of which I am working at the only one that will still be operating in the US within the next 6 months, the other location is closing sometime next year).
                    Too bad; that sounds like it'd be a good job for me. I like doing data entry, and I've done similar work in the past.
                    Quoth Kara View Post
                    So of course, I get all the mail that's been mangled or written in unreadable glitter pen or has no useable address information (seriously, some people address things with a person's name, an intersection close to where they live, and a city with no ZIP code).
                    I believe it. It's sad how many people have no idea how to properly write their address. I sell stuff on eBay and while the majority of people know how to enter their address, far too many don't. I've seen US street addresses like "st3st" and horribly misspelled city names, wrong state abbreviations, etc. And it's amazing how few people use the zip +4, it's only been around since 1983!
                    Quoth Kara View Post
                    I have learned some interesting things about the postal service and how the mail works. Basically, if you want something to reach its destination, write legibly in black ink....And this is December, which means I've already seen a ton of Christmas cards.
                    Oh dear. Bad calligraphy in green ink on red envelopes, right?
                    Quoth Kara View Post
                    Also, apparently a lot of people like to print the address on their envelopes with printing software, and their favorite appears to be this font that basically creates an "etched" look. It looks like shading that has the address in white like it's been etched out. Seriously, don't use this. At all. It probably looks pretty, but for our system it sucks and it's totally unreadable and I've had to reject several of them because of that.
                    I print out mailing labels, but I use plain Arial, I hope that's okay?
                    Last edited by XCashier; 12-08-2013, 05:14 PM.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Hmm...I printed my addresses for the Christmas card list. The labels have a light blue background image but the print is a plain black font so hopefully that's not a problem. I also am anal and changed all the spelled-out states to abbreviations (since I had to translate the pdf into word and mess with it a bit to make it fit the labels I have. For some reason it didn't line up right even though I'm 99% positive I have the same labels I've always used...though I usually address the envelopes by hand I know I used printed labels at least once before since we've been using the pdf...but so far I haven't had anyone reporting the same problem so maybe it's just me).

Anyway, sounds like a much more pleasant work environment. Glad you are doing well in the new place.
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

About the zip code for Santa, the UK post office has a similar thing. If you send a letter to Santa (and any decent variation of the address) they actually will send a letter back "from Santa" if you include your address.

I think that's such a sweet idea and I remember being so excited to get one as a kid.
                        "I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere and I'm here for the hell of it now"

Comment

I am guilty of writing in metallic pen on envelopes and putting stickers on them.

Never occurred to me that this could be problematic.

I won't do it anymore.

Or, maybe I *should* so you have work to do and stay employed.
                          Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

In Finland the address is, I think, to Korvatunturi (Ear Mountain) as that is his traditional home in Scandinavian legend - it's on the Russian border. I believe they actually get delivered to the "official grotto" in Rovaniemi, which is just inside the Arctic Circle.

I was taught at a reasonably early age how to write an address, at least in British format. While I use blue ink most of the time (seriously, blue ink is so commonly used that OCR systems should really be able to cope with it by now), I make sure to write the city, country and postcode in block capitals - the local postie has a much better chance of working out my cursive writing for the name and street address once it gets to him, which the postcode is sufficient for in Britain.

For reference, standard British address format is:

Mr. J Bloggs Esq.
                            345 Bradshaw Close
                            WORTHINGTON
                            WG88 4XY
                            UNITED KINGDOM

The country name is, of course, only required if sent from abroad. From Finland, I usually write "ISO-BRITANNIA (UK)" to combine the Finnish-language name with something that British postal workers will recognise.

The distinction between names of countries is actually sort-of relevant for the UK, because not all of it is on the same landmass. I'm not sure what the official form of addresses for the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man is, but to send a letter to Belfast you would probably write NORTHERN IRELAND rather than UNITED KINGDOM - and *certainly* not GREAT BRITAIN.

European Continental addresses use a different but still standardised format which looks like this:

H Dorfmeister
                            Landstraße 56 A 3
                            34567 HAMBURG
                            DEUTSCHLAND

Sometimes the postcode - which precedes the city name - is itself prefixed with the country code, in this case as D-34567. Finland also uses this format.

This film predates the introduction of postcodes, but is still entertaining and instructive: Night Mail (1936).

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                              Welcome to the USPS and welcome to my hell. Not ALL rejected letters actually get rejected.
                              Well, the "training," if you can even call it that, didn't elaborate on what happens to things the get rejected or are otherwise un-keyable, our basic understanding is "I push this button and it's not my problem anymore." Also, yay, now I know 4 people in USPS. You, a friend back home, my beloved, and her sister.

Quoth dalesys View Post
                              Ready to slip-slide into work on the snow?
                              We got plenty of snow in Kansas. The nice thing here is that so far, it's just snow. As opposed to what I'm used to, which is a solid sheet of ice UNDER the snow.

Quoth XCashier View Post
                              Too bad; that sounds like it'd be a good job for me. I like doing data entry, and I've done similar work in the past.
                              Yeah, goes back to the whole, not receiving any Federal funding thing. What really dealt a deathblow to the USPS financially was that Congress decreed they had to pre-fund their retiree healthcare payments for the next 75 years. Yeah, they had to pay billions of dollars to pay for the retirement benefits of future employees who haven't been born yet. The encoding centers were always intended to be temporary because the idea is that the technology would improve to the point that the scanners can read everything. My girlfriend and her sister have worked for a few different centers in the last decade and have moved whenever one closed down. We don't even know how much longer our current place will remain open, but they're estimating no less than 5 years.

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
                              Or, maybe I *should* so you have work to do and stay employed.
                              Oh by all means, keep me employed

I've done it too, I had no idea. I don't think anyone outside USPS really even considers it. No matter what color it's printed in or what color envelope, all we see is a black and white image (usually not the best quality, either). The scanners are probably dinosaurs.

Comment

Working...
                              X