This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• things you do generally only during the holidays

It's a busy, special season. Currently I'm eating toast with real butter because I get a bit indulgent food-wise during the holidays. That includes more ice cream than usual, specifically candy cane flavor. I also tend to go to Starshmuck's more often out of convenience, whereas the rest of the year I almost never do because I have a cappuccino maker. I normally use cheap dollar store dish liquid, but for Thanksgiving and Christmas I get the Orla Kiely offering made by Method. This year it smells like holly berries, and I got the foaming hand soap, too. On that note, my current dish sponge is sparkly gold. Another thing I do is to put special towels and decorations in the bathroom. It has to look festive, too. And I will waste gas driving around looking at Christmas lights.

So, what special things do you do?
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Hmm, not sure that spoiling friends and family with homemade goodies counts, because I do that other times during the year too. Except that for Yule, everybody gets noms.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I drink Christmas beer!

As opposed to the non-Christmas beer I drink the rest of the year.

Oh, I also make cranberry sauce from scratch! I'd do that more often throughout the year, as it's delicious and ridiculously easy to make, but the local grocery stores don't stick cranberries the rest of the year.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Work crazy amounts of overtime.

Actually, the way things are going, this may become all year.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Advent wreath comes out Copious amounts of eggnog are drunk. I actually attempt to bake even though I thoroughly suck at it
          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Eggnog!! And eat pie...not a big pie person normally but the holidays...pumpkin,pecan,cherry....mmmmpie

Comment

Make choc top cookies! Last year I made them with dark chocolate and crushed candy canes and I'ma hafta do that again very soon
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

People who don't go out to shop for themselves will go out to shop for someone else for Christmas.

People who don't go to their church as regularly as they should will do so for both Christmas and Easter.

I will eat dinner with my family. I usually eat my meals in front of a computer.
                cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

I am the least domestic person ever, but around Christmas I sometimes feel like making cookies or candy. This year I'm thinking about making rum balls, and chocolate-dipped pretzels, and possibly pecan bark.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
                    Copious amounts of eggnog are drunk.
                    There's something else I've started to do around this time of year recently....making eggnog from scratch. It ain't easy. And last year I actually had to scrap a batch I screwed up and start over at 11 pm. But, as much as I love the store-bought stuff, homemade eggnog kicks ass.

Especially with rum. Especially with rum!

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    This year I'm thinking about making rum balls...
                    Details/recipe/instructions, please?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

There's something else I've started to do around this time of year recently....making eggnog from scratch. It ain't easy. And last year I actually had to scrap a batch I screwed up and start over at 11 pm. But, as much as I love the store-bought stuff, homemade eggnog kicks ass.

I usually mix mine with Jameson, if I want alcohol. But I have to be careful this year since my little guy's still breastfeeding.

But share the eggnog recipe? I'd love to take a crack at it
                      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Well, you could always bottle a few days' supply and ...
                        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

He sleeps through the night now so I occasionally grab a couple drinks once he's asleep. That way I'm okay by morning.
                          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
                            I usually mix mine with Jameson, if I want alcohol. But I have to be careful this year since my little guy's still breastfeeding.

But share the eggnog recipe? I'd love to take a crack at it
                            When I dig it up, I'll try to remember to post it here.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                              I like mine the way my Aunt used to do it -- a bit of eggnog with my Broubon although I would not turn down a bit of eggnog with my rum.
                              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                              X